Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is inflation and the rising cost of living affecting you?
How is inflation and the rising cost of living affecting you?
Hey everyone.

I have not been on this forum for a couple of years, I originally joined as part of the refugees that came over from The Thinking Atheist forum when that shut down.

I wasn't sure if this fits in this section so mods, please move to somewhere else that is more relevant.

I'm from the UK, the situation here with energy is pretty dire to say the least. This time last year our energy bills were around £1200 annually and that is set to change, going up to around £3500 annually in the next few weeks, before rising again in January onwards to what some people forecast to be around £5000 annually.

Myself and my wife both work, we don't have any kids and with the exception of our mortgage we don't have any debts. We are very lucky that we can save money every month, but I am beginning to see that get eroded slowly.

I really do feel for people who already live on the breadline, and I am worried what the future is going to hold for people on lower incomes next year here. Along with small to medium businesses.

Hows the cost of living and inflation affecting you?? I know that the vast majority here are from the US and the energy situation is different for you (your more self sufficient than us here in Europe)
For no matter how much I use these dead symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.
RE: How is inflation and the rising cost of living affecting you?
I'm doing ok at the moment, but when the electricity and gas price rises hit we will be struggling (turn the heating down, wear more clothes - want to buy a kidney?) I am managing on my state pension and a small private pension to help out.
It seems to me to be mainly caused by pure greed on the part of the energy suppliers
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 27, 2022 at 4:42 pm)bemore Wrote: Hey everyone.

I have not been on this forum for a couple of years, I originally joined as part of the refugees that came over from The Thinking Atheist forum when that shut down.

I wasn't sure if this fits in this section so mods, please move to somewhere else that is more relevant.

I'm from the UK, the situation here with energy is pretty dire to say the least. This time last year our energy bills were around £1200 annually and that is set to change, going up to around £3500 annually in the next few weeks, before rising again in January onwards to what some people forecast to be around £5000 annually.

Myself and my wife both work, we don't have any kids and with the exception of our mortgage we don't have any debts. We are very lucky that we can save money every month, but I am beginning to see that get eroded slowly.

I really do feel for people who already live on the breadline, and I am worried what the future is going to hold for people on lower incomes next year here. Along with small to medium businesses.

Hows the cost of living and inflation affecting you?? I know that the vast majority here are from the US and the energy situation is different for you (your more self sufficient than us here in Europe)
Hi!!!!!!!!

So glad to see you!  I was anjele on TTA.  

When did you get a wife?  Oh my goodness!  Congratulations.

Our gas prices went up quite a bit but are easing back down a bit.  Since I now work from home it didn't really have much of an effect on me.

What I notice is that when I go pick up groceries, I get a lot less for the same amount of money.  I don't necessarily have specifics but with the basics I get most every week, I see the overall price going up.  

Our electric bill is outrageous due to prices going up and the extreme heat we have had this summer.

I think everyone is feeling the pinch.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Hey, it's bemore! Howsit? My wife and I are doing OK; we're both retired now. Electricity went up about 50%, but we're very frugal with the AC, especially, We live in a desert climate (California) and once the sun sets and the outside cools off, we turn off the AC and open the doors and windows. Not possible in humid climates. I hear some people's AC running early in the morning. Crazy.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Food is my highest expense after rent, and I buy a lot each month. I shop at Aldi's a lot, and prices have increased up to 40% even there.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Things have gotten better with the lower gas prices. I get paid every two weeks. Right now we are running out of money on the Monday or Tuesday of pay week. My next goal is to go broke a week from next Wednesday.
It's mainly utilities and food that are stinging. But I'm really good at conserving and making due so I'll be fine.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(August 27, 2022 at 4:42 pm)bemore Wrote: Hey everyone.

Oh welcome back Smile
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

With the recent ridiculous rise in rent, we were lucky to purchase a place of our own.

I haven't personally been inside the stores lately, but apparently the shelves are emptying.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Inflation is affecting me because it makes me pay more for stuff.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pipeline affecting most of the east coast. Brian37 33 1701 May 20, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  We are living in the medieval 21st Century ignoramus 9 351 July 4, 2020 at 1:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do e-cigarettes cost? EgoDeath 1 447 September 16, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  Tired workers cost biz billions. NO SHIT Brian37 40 5705 December 4, 2016 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V
  GOP/Trump are living in the past. Brian37 9 1760 September 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Real world cost of same-sex marriage Athene 16 5905 August 3, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Living wage polar bear 44 5333 June 27, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Land of the rising AWESOME SAUCE. Brian37 0 489 March 31, 2015 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Phoenix rising. Brian37 11 1428 October 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why we need a mandatory living wage: Ryantology 96 14447 September 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome