Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TCJA: Apple repatriating cash and pumping it into US economy
TCJA: Apple repatriating cash and pumping it into US economy
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/apple-an...years.html

Quote:

• Apple says the new tax law will help it will contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy over the next five years.

• It says it will create 20,000 new jobs and open a new campus.

• Apple expects to pay about $38 billion in taxes for the horde of cash it plans to bring back to the United States.
RE: TCJA: Apple repatriating cash and pumping it into US economy
Panic Panic Panic Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Cheeto von Tweeto will claim credit in 3....2....1...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 17, 2018 at 5:19 pm)alpha male Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/apple-an...years.html

Quote:
  • Apple says the new tax law will help it will contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy over the next five years.

• It says it will create 20,000 new jobs and open a new campus.

• Apple expects to pay about $38 billion in taxes for the horde of cash it plans to bring back to the United States.

I'm no expert on US tax law, but aren't corporations supposed to be taxed at 21%? $38 billion out of $350 billion is less than 11%.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Maybe they're working out a sweetheart deal before they move all their money from shady not-american memory holes.  Or maybe they're just waiting for the US to turn into one.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 17, 2018 at 6:04 pm)Fireball Wrote: Cheeto von Tweeto will claim credit in 3....2....1...

The new tax plan is the cause.
You mean, "the cause" like it was with all that walmart greatness?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 17, 2018 at 6:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm no expert on US tax law, but aren't corporations supposed to be taxed at 21%? $38 billion out of $350 billion is less than 11%.

It's 35% through 12.31.17, 21% beginning 1.1.18.

But, by keeping profits out of the country, US corps have been able to avoid taxation. Part of the TCJA is that corps will be taxed one time on their foreign profits, at a reduced rate and payable over 8 years. This will result in big tax collections and investment in US business. People calling the act corporate welfare just don't really understand the point.
(January 17, 2018 at 6:39 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(January 17, 2018 at 6:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm no expert on US tax law, but aren't corporations supposed to be taxed at 21%? $38 billion out of $350 billion is less than 11%.

It's 35% through 12.31.17, 21% beginning 1.1.18.

But, by keeping profits out of the country, US corps have been able to avoid taxation. Part of the TCJA is that corps will be taxed one time on their foreign profits, at a reduced rate and payable over 8 years. This will result in big tax collections and investment in US business. People calling the act corporate welfare just don't really understand the point.

Ok, so Apple is going to pay this $38 billion over eight years.  That works out to a little less than 5 billion per year, or (very roughly) $14.00 for every person living in the US.

Don't spend it all in one place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't think anyone is unclear as to the purpose of welfare, alpha.  

It's a handout for useless takers that we should absolutely cut asap..because incentivizing people with money only makes them lazy, unproductive dependents.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 379 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Economy (US) Foxaèr 11 1307 February 7, 2023 at 5:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1400 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Down USS JFK turned into razor blades onlinebiker 30 1761 October 8, 2021 at 4:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2765 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2776 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Your country's economy in a nutshell ignoramus 28 2158 July 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Cod
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2260 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  World economy at risk of another crash downbeatplumb 2 355 October 5, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? Aegon 74 6781 August 15, 2018 at 4:29 am
Last Post: GUBU