Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling should be a human right
Traveling should be a human right
With the current technology available, the time and resources needed for traveling should be a given.

To get to know the world in a limited lifetime should be a right, and not a privilege
RE: Traveling should be a human right
(April 2, 2022 at 3:37 am)Macoleco Wrote: With the current technology available, the time and resources needed for traveling should be a given.

To get to know the world in a limited lifetime should be a right, and not a privilege

What form would this take, exactly? Give everyone free airline passage for life?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Mac., have you been living under the rock? Covid and war sanctions will cause mass starvation worldwide...
(April 2, 2022 at 3:37 am)Macoleco Wrote: With the current technology available, the time and resources needed for traveling should be a given.

What a lovely idea. Not possible under our current corrupt conditions, but not unthinkable.

I'd put foreign travel in the top ten, maybe. After health care, education, secure housing. It's interesting to ponder how it might work. Maybe a set of six free classes on the place you're going to, followed by a group of ten with a tour guide. As a reward for finishing high school, maybe. Or you get a coupon every five years.

Or some kind of not-very-demanding work/study program, where you help out the locals in exchange for room and board. 

All of these things would be doable if we didn't waste zillions on war, or give huge subsidies to the already-rich. I've said before that the world would be a better place if the Peace Corps and the Pentagon exchanged budgets.
There's only one place I have ever wanted to visit.

I can see each individual being afforded the opportunity to travel to a single destination during his lifetime, but I believe affording unlimited travel is just going overboard.

For me, that place would be Ireland.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

In principle, yes.

However there are a few problems with 'Inifinte, free travel'.

1) The spread of pathogens. So people wishing to travel should seek to minimize the spread of various diseases. The treatment etc for which takes time, effort and money. As evidenced by the amount of C-vid effectivly walked from China off into various country's, some individual people seem loath to care about other people or people as a whole.

2) On the point of 'Some people not caring about people'. We have those of phylosophical, Religious or political bent who also do not seem to care about 'Other people. On the Rleigious side we have the various fundamental fiaths. Phylosophically we've had the "Path of the SHining Dawn" and politically we can look to the Ukrain to see foreign interlopers stupidly walking through radioactive ruins as thei 'Tour the country side'.

3) With out proper vetting, foreign invasive unstoppable and native wild life destroying organisms can be brought in. Effecting the local, native eco sphere and in some cases leading to the extinction of loacl, unique animals/plants.

There are many reasons as to why checks and ballances have been introduced over time (Other than just the time, effort and money) to slow down the flow of travel.

Just some thoughts. Great 

Cheers.

Not at work.

Humanity is on track to double the concentration of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere; how can you possibly suggest such as insane idea??
Ca'mon holodeck,............

or a shit load of these guy's. (not the angry one)

[Image: star-trek-pilot-15.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You have two feet.

Who is stopping you?

You want someone to fucking CARRY you ????

Bullshit
Listen kid, if I let you cross my land to get to the water, next thing I know every hilljack and jill will be trampling my landscape and setting up on my spot.  The public lane is at the end of the street.  Now go on.  Git.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shouldn't the right to die be a human right? ErGingerbreadMandude 174 18569 February 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13