Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:29 am

Poll: Should the Republicans stop allowing nominees for the Supreme Court?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and it's their own damn fault for not voting the way we want.
0%
0 0%
No, and I don't even see why this is even up for debate.
50.00%
4 50.00%
Blueberry Muffins
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Party looking forward to the end of the Supreme Court?
Shocked 
Republican Party looking forward to the end of the Supreme Court?
I am deeply disturbed that this is happening; it's bad enough that Congress has been doing its damnedest to avoid appointing a justice to replace Scalia, but hearing many in the Republican Party demonstrate they're willing to do so for the forseeable future horrifies me to no end. At least when they threatened to tank the American economy, they had the sense to cave in at the last minute and raise the debt ceiling. But with this, they're apparently willing to allow the potential extinction of one of the branches of government because their preferred candidate didn't win.

This Could Be the Beginning of the End of the Supreme Court As We Know It

Quote:Maybe Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) had the right idea after all. Maybe Republicans are willing to trigger a constitutional crisis over the Supreme Court.

Some conservatives certainly seem to be warming up to McCain’s controversial suggestion last week that Senate Republicans should dig in their heels and block any and all Supreme Court nominees put forth by a future President Hillary Clinton.
Who needs a fully functioning Supreme Court after all?

“As a matter of constitutional law, the Senate is fully within its powers to let the Supreme Court die out, literally,” wrote the Cato Institute’s Ilya Shapiro in a column Wednesday on The Federalist.

Hey, Jackasses, I can't believe we have to keep telling you this, but keeping the US economy from going literally bankrupt is not optional. Cooperation with the President over issues you admit are reasonable is not optional.  Allowing one of the key branches of the Federal Government to survive is not optional. DOING THE JOB YOU SPENT SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY CAMPAIGNING TO GET IS. NOT. FUCKING. OPTIONAL.
I'm sorry for the extreme font sizes, but seriously, it was the only way to properly convey the rage I feel at this major problem.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Republican Party looking forward to the end of the Supreme Court?
(October 26, 2016 at 10:03 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I am deeply disturbed that this is happening; it's bad enough that Congress has been doing its damnedest to avoid appointing a justice to replace Scalia, but hearing many in the Republican Party demonstrate they're willing to do so for the forseeable future horrifies me to no end. At least when they threatened to tank the American economy, they had the sense to cave in at the last minute and raise the debt ceiling. But with this, they're apparently willing to allow the potential extinction of one of the branches of government because their preferred candidate didn't win.

This Could Be the Beginning of the End of the Supreme Court As We Know It

Quote:Maybe Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) had the right idea after all. Maybe Republicans are willing to trigger a constitutional crisis over the Supreme Court.

Some conservatives certainly seem to be warming up to McCain’s controversial suggestion last week that Senate Republicans should dig in their heels and block any and all Supreme Court nominees put forth by a future President Hillary Clinton.
Who needs a fully functioning Supreme Court after all?

“As a matter of constitutional law, the Senate is fully within its powers to let the Supreme Court die out, literally,” wrote the Cato Institute’s Ilya Shapiro in a column Wednesday on The Federalist.

Hey, Jackasses, I can't believe we have to keep telling you this, but keeping the US economy from going literally bankrupt is not optional. Cooperation with the President over issues you admit are reasonable is not optional.  Allowing one of the key branches of the Federal Government to survive is not optional. DOING THE JOB YOU SPENT SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY CAMPAIGNING TO GET IS. NOT. FUCKING. OPTIONAL.
I'm sorry for the extreme font sizes, but seriously, it was the only way to properly convey the rage I feel at this major problem.

Can we impeach them for failure to perform their sworn duty, or at least shoot them a little?
Too bad the founding fathers didn't provide for the current situation by providing a "If you don't do your job and confirm a justice within X amount of time, then the President can appoint anyone he wants without your say so." Of course they likely didn't foresee one political party putting partisan politics way above the proper functioning of the country. Or they likely thought that the voters would vote out any party which did something like that, but likely never foresaw that half the country would be so apathetic about politics that they don't bother to vote.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 26, 2016 at 10:17 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Too bad the founding fathers didn't provide for the current situation by providing a "If you don't do your job and confirm a justice within X amount of time, then the President can appoint anyone he wants without your say so."  Of course they likely didn't foresee one political party putting partisan politics way above the proper functioning of the country.  Or they likely thought that the voters would vote out any party which did something like that, but likely never foresaw that half the country would be so apathetic about politics that they don't bother to vote.

Of course, it should be noted that the most beloved founding father, George Washington, did not trust party politics at all and he didn't forsee the prospect of one choosing to go all Gene Tierney in Leave Her to Heaven towards the country they nominally served.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 26, 2016 at 10:17 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Too bad the founding fathers didn't provide for the current situation by providing a "If you don't do your job and confirm a justice within X amount of time, then the President can appoint anyone he wants without your say so."  Of course they likely didn't foresee one political party putting partisan politics way above the proper functioning of the country.  Or they likely thought that the voters would vote out any party which did something like that, but likely never foresaw that half the country would be so apathetic about politics that they don't bother to vote.

The Founders were notoriously short of foresight.
I voted for muffins.
Me too. Gimme my fucken muffins, and everyone gets to walk outta here >.>
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(October 26, 2016 at 11:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

The Founders were notoriously short of foresight.

Except for maybe Thomas Jefferson.

Quote:"Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right. It may be said, that the succeeding generation exercising, in fact, the power of repeal, this leaves them as free as if the constitution or law had been expressly limited to nineteen years only. In the first place, this objection admits the right, in proposing an equivalent. But the power of repeal is not an equivalent. It might be, indeed, if every form of government were so perfectly contrived, that the will of the majority could always be obtained, fairly and without impediment. But this is true of no form. The people cannot assemble themselves; their representation is unequal and vicious. Various checks are opposed to every legislative proposition. Factions get possession of the public councils, bribery corrupts them, personal interests lead them astray from the general interests of their constituents; and other impediments arise, so as to prove to every practical man, that a law of limited duration is much more manageable than one which needs a repeal."

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
When Trump trotted out his list of shitheads he would appoint as SCOTUS members, a few were sitting circuit judges who supposedly required no Senate confirmation - since they had already passed Senate muster to attain their current positions.

Is that right? Can a President bypass the Senate by picking a sitting circuit justice? I'm kind of drunk and not competent to look it up myself.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(October 27, 2016 at 12:46 am)AFTT47 Wrote: When Trump trotted out his list of shitheads he would appoint as SCOTUS members, a few were sitting circuit judges who supposedly required no Senate confirmation - since they had already passed Senate muster to attain their current positions.

Is that right? Can a President bypass the Senate by picking a sitting circuit justice? I'm kind of drunk and not competent to look it up myself.

I'm not a legal scholar, but I'd say no, any SCOTUS candidate would need to be confirmed by the Senate.  Otherwise Obama could simply just pick a sitting circuit justice and appoint them and bypass the Senate, which would be the smart thing to do by now.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 831 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1451 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court... Rev. Rye 7 502 May 27, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1822 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 714 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 205 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 265 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1077 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 3952 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Amy Coney Barnett officially confirmed as Supreme Court Justice Rev. Rye 33 1866 October 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye