Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED
Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED
I am putting this here not just because of today, but because of a long term problem that started decades ago.

First off there are lots of aspects to a given society that will combine to make it either more stable and less violent, or when neglected, make it less stable and more violent. If all sides involved say they want less violence, then meeting cost of living and health care are a big key in getting to a less violent more economically stable society.

But, 36 years ago, Reagan started the age of deregulation and "don't tax the rich" and since then the pay gap has exploded between the top and the rest. This also has to do with guns because like any other product, a business sets out to gain profits and shareholders and expand their market. Most marketing, of any product takes one of two paths, it either sells through appeals to vanity or fear.

"You'll look great in this sports car" is the vanity side, but the same with makeup and even beer "Drink this and you will be the life of the party". Fear sells anything too, "If you don't buy this, something bad might happen to you".  "Check your credit or you might not be able to get a loan". "Buy this zit cream or your face will break out".

There was a time long ago when the NRA was sane back when it started. But, it got hijacked by a greedy few looking to make money being another corporate lobby. So you may be wondering by now, "What does the word motive have to do with any of what you just said?"

Just like any other product, when you paint a narrative it can lead a person to buy that product being motivated by vanity or fear. In the case of firearms the media gets easy ratings by talking about motives with cliche's like "bullied teen", "begrudged worker", "mentally ill", "Terrorist", or "gang violence".  Now framed like that, who wouldn't want something to protect themselves from all that right?  BAM, instant market preying on the fears of society whom currently in the middle class and working poor, don't make enough. 

The GOP/NRA for 36 years have pulled the same con, create a needless problem, and sell a solution that does not work, and for nothing more than the worship of profit. 

It does not matter to me this time the guy was a democrat. What matters is that in the case of all types of public shootings be they from mentally ill, begrudged worker, terrorist, ect ect, what matters in all these cases is they all got access to firearms. The fear marketing of the gun lobby heat shield and the 36 years of "you are a commie if you question the private sector" is why things like this keep happening. 

If the news media would stop focusing on motive, and start focusing on gun injury/death statistics, that would go a long way in reducing events like this. Dead is dead no matter what the motive of the killer is, the victim's status will not change because it was a domestic murder, bullied teen, begrudged worker, political or religious. The real issue not enough people want to focus on, or flat out ignore is the amount we make and ease of access.
RE: Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED
(June 14, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If the news media would stop focusing on motive, and start focusing on gun injury/death statistics, that would go a long way in reducing events like this.

If the news media would stop explaining away the violence promoted by leftists and start focusing on their contributions in stoking this kind of violence, that might help more. But please, don't let me stop you from indulging your delusional narratives about vast right-wing conspiracies.
Politically motivated violence -of any kind- is a statistically negligible portion of violence, and even less so gun violence....but don't let me interrupt you when you're feeling totally vindicated.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 14, 2017 at 1:31 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Politically motivated violence -of any kind-  is a statistically negligible portion of violence, and even less so gun violence....but don't let me interrupt you when you're feeling totally vindicated.

I agree political violence and not even religious violence constitute the majority of gun deaths. My point is in all cases of gun deaths no matter the motive, they got access to firearms. 

"Other bad shit happens so do nothing about this" is not an argument.
..............?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote: "Other bad shit happens so do nothing about this" is not an argument.

It is for khemikal, pretty regularly.
If I could unite the usual nutters on both sides of this issue in a common batshit hatred of things I don't say...then I'd consider it a public service.
Quote:It is for khemikal, pretty regularly.

Really I thought it was yours . That  or going with plans that don't work and do more damage then they solve
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(June 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm)Khemikal Wrote: If I could unite the usual nutters on both sides of this issue in a common batshit hatred of things I don't say...then I'd consider it a public service.

If I could get the NRA out of service I would consider that a public service.

When anyone talks about other types of violence existing, so what? Most violence that is not gun related does not end up in DEATH. Better economics for more would reduce all types of violence including gun deaths.

Please tell us all what you DO say. 

"It's not the guns it's the user?" Is that it?

Because if that is your response I agree. It is the ATTITUDE of the user about the object and ignoring that "just because" does not mean you know what you are doing. 

If I misunderstood you, please explain. But in my prior post it did read to me like you were saying "other bad shit happens" which does not address reduction of gun deaths.
(June 14, 2017 at 1:13 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(June 14, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If the news media would stop focusing on motive, and start focusing on gun injury/death statistics, that would go a long way in reducing events like this.

violence promoted by leftists

Citation needed you lying sack of shit.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gun Control Leonardo17 38 1551 November 12, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps" Duty 10 1171 December 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  THE Gun Thread onlinebiker 1251 110050 August 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 3705 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1066 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Covid and the word "segregation". OP/ED Brian37 2 298 May 22, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Jets and the word "miracle". Brian37 28 1334 February 22, 2021 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3328 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2466 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9513 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama