Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Relationship Advice
Relationship Advice
I am in love with a wonderful lady. She and I were friends from 2019 and wrote stories together. Now we're dating, since June this year. She is my best friend and I am nuts about her.

Everything is perfect and we are pretty evenly matched. I plan on visiting her in the next year when I can gather up the funds.

She has seemed pretty level headed and is very queer friendly and sexually open. But tonight, she revealed to me that she messed with Ouija boards and "other stuff" as a teenager and she believes something attached to her. It gave her intrusive thoughts and her "roughest times" until her family moved out of that house. But she still believes that her occasionally negative internal self talk comes from something other than her, to this day. And she told me this with some wariness, I guess anticipating me being spooked or something (she knows I'm an atheist and ex-Mormon, we've talked about it before). I comforted her about her experience, trying not to say anything directly about the "whatever" it is she thinks is in her thoughts from the cardboard alphabet game board.

Annnnd that tone? ^^^^ Yeah? How do I let her know that I don't believe in spiritual crap without making her feel like shit? Like, if I say right out, "I don't believe in that sorta thing" right after she's told me this personal story, it will be invalidating to her and make her feel like I am saying she is crazy or making it up. So how do you frame it to be not like a jerk? Her tone about it was offputting, like she might scare me away. I don't think she's crazy for believing her negative self talk is Satan or whatever. It's a common, emotional storytelling; i used to do it too back when I believed. I just want to frame it without my natural atheist condescension and bitterness and impatience coming out. Give me sensitive secular humanist words, please.

Edit: also, hi.

RE: Relationship Advice
Quote:if I say right out, "I don't believe in that sorta thing" right after she's told me this personal story,

That's exactly what you should tell her. Don't be rude about it, just make it clear that you don't care about that stuff.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
So wonderful to see you here again! You have been missed.

Perhaps a conversation is in order to see just how deep this goes. Maybe ask some questions. It's possible she needs some reassurance that we have a little voice in our heads that is internal dialog and not some otherworld spirit or demon or - you get the idea. It's how we work through things.

Sometimes that inner voice is positive and sometimes, not so much. Sounds like she may need some self-confidence building.

Best of luck and, again, welcome back!

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 9, 2022 at 12:18 am)arewethereyet Wrote: So wonderful to see you here again!  You have been missed.

Perhaps a conversation is in order to see just how deep this goes.  Maybe ask some questions.  It's possible she needs some reassurance that we have a little voice in our heads that is internal dialog and not some otherworld spirit or demon or - you get the idea.  It's how we work through things.

Sometimes that inner voice is positive and sometimes, not so much.  Sounds like she may need some self-confidence building.

Best of luck and, again, welcome back!

At that point, I would recommend therapy.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
What's wrong with "I don't agree and that's okay"? Does she show need for your approval? If so, sure, there's a problem, but if not, don't make it one.

If a relationship can't handle some personal and intellectual difference, it's not all that strong to begin with. Since her belief in a bit of occultism isn't a deal-breaker for you, I doubt very much your rejection of it is going to be a deal-breaker for her.

Maybe try the I-don't-believe-in-that-stuff-but-I-believe-you-believe-it approach. Lets her know where you stand without invalidating her. And yeah, gently suggesting counseling might not be the worst idea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My SO was into healing crystals and laying on of hands type stuff when we first met. I ripped the piss out of her for those beliefs, going "WOOOooooOOOO!" at her on repeat pretending to be a ghost in her face. She didn't like it at first but now joins in the laughs and has given up those nonsense views, perhaps in part due to my explaining the likelihood of abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents and generally how totally absurd, wrong-headed and hilariously laughable religious/paranormal beliefs are. We're good.
If it doesn't come up very often, I wouldn't mention it.  If it's just an occasional thing, I would acknowledge the statement but not interject my opinion.  If it becomes a thing, I would light a candle, put on a silk robe, and, to a slow jam, perform an exorcism.

I don't ask my wife to stop praying for the children and me.  No harm, no foul.
(December 9, 2022 at 12:10 am)Ten Wrote: Yeah? How do I let her know that I don't believe in spiritual crap without making her feel like shit? Like, if I say right out, "I don't believe in that sorta thing" right after she's told me this personal story, it will be invalidating to her and make her feel like I am saying she is crazy or making it up. So how do you frame it to be not like a jerk?

Maybe you exclude yourself from the sentence and just go logical. Not as someone who doesn't believe but rather needs to be convinced.

So you could say "There is no evidence that hell or demons exist."

"But many people have witnessed them."

"That is just anecdotal evidence, like when people claim to see Elvis or get abducted by aliens. Or take Muslims, they believe that they get possessed by jinns and even perform exorcisms that you can see on youtube, but you don't believe that." then you both laugh at how silly Muslims are.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Ideal Relationship Arrangement FrustratedFool 135 7170 November 16, 2023 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dating Advice FrustratedFool 77 3698 October 30, 2023 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: BananaFlambe
  Relationship Tips And Tricks BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1317 March 17, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Copycats and an advice WinterHold 14 1088 February 4, 2020 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Dryer exhaust, need advice. Brian37 6 672 June 22, 2019 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  People who throw tantrums of ending a relationship Der/die AtheistIn 8 1464 May 4, 2019 at 11:17 am
  Should you end the relationship with a person for one big mistake? Der/die AtheistIn 21 1535 March 12, 2019 at 10:03 pm