Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion can be a good thing??
Religion can be a good thing??
Hi All,

I'm an atheist from Australia, and this is my first post here.

What prompted me to look for atheist forums and post is something I saw on TV recently that I would like to discuss. I saw a guy that used to be a criminal/gangster. He killed, extorted money, used kids to deal drugs, etc etc. Anyway, he now has given up his bad ways, has a good job that he is proud of, a family, basically is an upstanding citizen and a contributor to his community. He says he is like this now because he found God. Now, of course, he is wrong, BUT, if there was no religion he would still be a criminal, and basically being an unwanted part of society. So, it seems to me that, in this case at least, that religion is a good thing.

What does everyone else think about this?

RE: Religion can be a good thing??
Hi, which bit of Oz you from?

I hail from Perth.

As to the rest, well I hear stories like this all the time.

It doesn't meaqn religion is in itself good.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Quote:Religion can be a good thing??

Yes.

(April 7, 2011 at 7:07 am)Chico97 Wrote: Hi All,

I'm an atheist from Australia, and this is my first post here.

Hello, and you are correct ^_^

Quote:What prompted me to look for atheist forums and post is something I saw on TV recently that I would like to discuss. I saw a guy that used to be a criminal/gangster. He killed, extorted money, used kids to deal drugs, etc etc. Anyway, he now has given up his bad ways, has a good job that he is proud of, a family, basically is an upstanding citizen and a contributor to his community. He says he is like this now because he found God. Now, of course, he is wrong, BUT, if there was no religion he would still be a criminal, and basically being an unwanted part of society. So, it seems to me that, in this case at least, that religion is a good thing.

No, he would not still be a criminal if there were no religions. He is clearly a person that feels guilt for what he did, and wants a way out of it that means he doesn't have to face himself so hard (jesus). It would be much better for him to "become?" a decent(?) citizen without such.

Quote:What does everyone else think about this?

Since I of course presume to speak for everyone, everyone says it is awesome and we should party and what were we talking about again?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Well for one we don't really know whather he would still be a criminal if he hadn't "found god". That said, religion can provide some moral signposts for people and help them act in a decent way.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
It's good to hear that he stopped all his criminal activities, religion can be a good/bad thing at the same time though.
My opinion, how did the man exactly found god? Perhaps someone fed him the Heaven and Hell story and he was told if he didn't repent he will go there? Remember, fear is used a lot in religion. And as Zen said, I hear things like this all the time.

Welcome to the forum though, I'm also from Aus, from Victoria.
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
(April 7, 2011 at 7:26 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Hi, which bit of Oz you from?

Sydney here. I haven't visited Perth yet, but do want to.

Quote:No, he would not still be a criminal if there were no religions. He is clearly a person that feels guilt for what he did, and wants a way out of it that means he doesn't have to face himself so hard (jesus). It would be much better for him to "become?" a decent(?) citizen without such.

Yeah probably. I guess if he really wanted to continue on the same path, he would have whether he 'found god' or not

Quote: And as Zen said, I hear things like this all the time

So, could this mean that religion is doing good all the time???

(April 7, 2011 at 7:47 am)Chico97 Wrote: So, could this mean that religion is doing good all the time???

no. Angel

[i]
(April 7, 2011 at 8:00 am)ib.me.ub Wrote:
(April 7, 2011 at 7:47 am)Chico97 Wrote: So, could this mean that religion is doing good all the time???

no. Angel

Haha. Maybe a re-phrase there. Could it mean that religion is doing a lot of good?

And yes, I know religion is doing a lot of bad. Probably more than good. Ok, definately a lot more bad, but it's the good that I want to discuss (if it is good)
Looks as if you have anserwed your own question. The 'idea' of religion is good.
(April 7, 2011 at 8:07 am)Chico97 Wrote: And yes, I know religion is doing a lot of bad. Probably more than good. Ok, definately a lot more bad, but it's the good that I want to discuss (if it is good)

Well, you can say that one good thing about religion is that it keeps some people feeling peaceful and calm thinking that their god is always watching/protecting them.

I don't agree with brainwashing though.
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11858 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6717 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10572 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11164 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7570 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3497 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1849 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 804 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 792 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3582 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus