Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is poison to democracy
Religion is poison to democracy
A new major study documents that religiously motivated legislation has taken place in all types of societies and religions—to the detriment of democratic rights.

Quote:In 1750 BC, Hammurabi's law designated the king of Babylon as the representative of the gods on earth. In modern times, Sharia law is an example of how religion can penetrate the state apparatus. Examples of religion being used to legitimize political power can be found all over the world.

"Societies that are historically characterized by belief in high gods are more likely to have current laws that discriminate or favor certain groups in society," says Jeanet Sinding Bentzen, associate professor at the Department of Economics at the University of Copenhagen.

"These could be laws that restrict women's rights or prohibit homosexuality. Or laws on blasphemy and privileges for religious organizations," she adds.

"It is clear from the data that societies with greater social inequality are more likely to worship gods that are attributed with a dominant character. On average, moralizing gods are 30% more likely to be present in societies with large class differences compared to more equal societies," says Jeanet Sinding Bentzen. "Moralizing and punishing gods are far more effective as a means of power, while spirits that cannot punish or interfere with human actions are useless for that purpose."

God protects the dictator

The researchers have made another important discovery: in autocracies, where power is concentrated in the hands of a single person or a very small group of people, there is a clear tendency to institutionalize religion. An autocrat can legitimize his power by referring to the divine.

"The divine legitimacy of the concentration of power in a very small group of people may very well support the persistence of autocracy, because the small group of rulers receives its mandate to exercise power from above and therefore does not have to ask the people. In this way, the religious mandate of the autocrat is in opposition to democratization," Jeanet Sinding Bentzen emphasizes.

https://phys.org/news/2023-04-religiousl...cracy.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Religion is poison to democracy
North Korea isn't democratic.
And that is why North Koreans worship their leader(s) as a god who came from heaven and does not shit.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Heaven, isn't democratic either.
(April 18, 2023 at 10:54 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: North Korea isn't democratic.

What a stunningly astute observation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 18, 2023 at 10:54 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: North Korea isn't democratic.

one thing russia and islam have in common is the propensity to produce large numbers naval gazing ignorant morally reprehensible morons who think of themselves as learned and wise in the ways of rhetorics
N. Korea may be officially atheist, but it is dominated by a cult with supernatural elements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Kore...ersonality
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 19, 2023 at 9:48 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: N. Korea may be officially atheist, but it is dominated by a cult with supernatural elements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Kore...ersonality

there is no god but kim and his lineal descendants are his prophets.
Religion is a poison to everything.
Dying to live, living to die.
“The human race has suffered for centuries and is still suffering from the mental disorder known as religion, and atheism is the only physician that will be able to effect a permanent cure.” (Joseph Lewis)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10716 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1188 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19814 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49304 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion is poison, OP ED. Brian37 61 10437 October 31, 2013 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused