Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is poison, OP ED.
Religion is poison, OP ED.
When hanging out at atheists websites here and elsewhere, one thing we are is diverse, but often, and rightfully so our own harshest critics. "Anti" this or "phobia" that are falsely hurled at us, and it does not help us by placating the insecurities of believers by neutering in every case our criticism of religion. It is my position that it is good for believers to see our public infighting, if for nothing more than for them to see that we are individuals, just like any other label.

The biggest mistake humans make, which allows all labels to fall into PC traps of any label, is not separating the individual, from the multitude of claims and positions that individual might hold. It is not, for example, impossible for me to see Malala or Martin Luther King Jr, as heros, while still seeing their personal god/s as bunk. Just as in turn, it is not impossible for our believing family and friends to love us, while hating the fact we don't believe.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1000497/famous-...-at-salon/

Sam Harris rightfully gave credit to Malala, as all of humanity should. Malala doesn't just represent the plight of Muslim girls/women, but all women worldwide. While humanity should appreciate her bravery, it should not mean claims of invisible beings, of any label should get a pass.

The same could be said for Martin Luther King Jr. When one does their homework, they will find that most atheists back during his day, supported his movement, and two of his biggest supporters were atheists. It still would not make virgin births possible or surviving rigor mortis possible.

The point of calling religion poison is not to rid the world of it by force. It is a poison because at it's core it teaches to accept first, defend first, and far too often blind obedience. It is sad that it takes a Malala or King to progress humanity. Ignorance is not bliss, and human progress is never made in setting up taboos.

There are now attempts to make an "atheist church", and to me this is no different. Anything can become a religion and if given enough political power can become abusive and tyrannical. I have been falsely accused of being "dogmatic" , which is stupid because I have also warned atheists not to go around saying "When we become the majority we will treat you better". Cussing and blasphemy do not make me "dogmatic", just blunt. If I was treating atheism as a cure, like an ultimate utopia, I would not be criticizing attempts of fellow atheists of trying to compete with religion by setting up a church themselves.

There is a reason no one should get a pass, and I mean no one, because we are a diverse species, once you start insisting on taboos, politics and money by any group can become an ideology(treated like religion) to the point where dissent is oppressed. "Religion" is nothing more than our species taking our natural grouping in evolution, and setting up "in group" vs"out group", and turns it into a comic book fictional utopia, which will never be achieved by any label.

I will not back off calling religion poison. Hurricanes and tornados are natural too. Volcanos make land and give nutrients to soil, but that does not mean we want those things affecting us. And as I said before, "religion" isn't confined to Islam or Christianity or Hebrew or whatever. "Religion" can be worship of a political party, a nationality, or business, or even something really stupid like a sports team where a fan will be so deeply deluded to the point of a fist fight.

Anything left to it to it's own devices without checks and balances and the ability to question, is a religion.
RE: Religion is poison, OP ED.
Nice sermon, bro.

Needs more dragons.

Tongue
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
(October 22, 2013 at 8:01 am)DLJ Wrote: Nice sermon, bro.

Needs more dragons.

Tongue

BLASPHEMER, HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF ME!

If the worst most humans had to worry about was being offended, the world could be much more peaceful.
(October 22, 2013 at 8:04 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 22, 2013 at 8:01 am)DLJ Wrote: Nice sermon, bro.

Needs more dragons.

Tongue

BLASPHEMER, HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF ME!

... because I'm 'out-group' and it's all I have left.

Confusedniff:
(October 22, 2013 at 7:51 am)Brian37 Wrote: "Religion" is nothing more than our species taking our natural grouping in evolution, and setting up "in group" vs"out group"

People like to form into groups with shared beliefs and ideals (like atheists have done) so you can't prevent that.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 22, 2013 at 2:16 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 22, 2013 at 7:51 am)Brian37 Wrote: "Religion" is nothing more than our species taking our natural grouping in evolution, and setting up "in group" vs"out group"

People like to form into groups with shared beliefs and ideals (like atheists have done) so you can't prevent that.

True but that is not what 'in group' vs. 'out group' is about.

The emphasis is on the "vs."

Check out this stuff from Jonathan Haidt
http://www.moralfoundations.org/

The 6 "moralities" are:
1. Harm / care (empathy)
2. Fairness / cheating (reciprocity)
3. Liberty / oppression (freedom)
4. Loyalty / betrayal (in-group)
5. Authority / subversion (respect)
6. Sanctity / degradation (purity)

Tests show that the liberal-minded are more in tune with 1. 2. and 3. whereas conservatives value all six.

Atheism is a single issue so you often find that they have little else in common so do not form groups easily.
Religion is culture too don't forget.
You are sticking your nose into other peoples CULTURE.
Guess what sort of reaction you are going to get.
They don't have to be antagonistic against each other but complementary.

[Image: BuddhaChrist_hugging.jpg]

[Image: 614801.jpg]

It's only the atheists who aren't joining in the fun now.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: They don't have to be antagonistic against each other but complementary.

It's only the atheists who aren't joining in the fun now.

By "the fun", are you refering to the countless religious wars throughout history, including three major ones just this last century? Or the constant tension and discrimination between religions in certain countries and between countries?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(October 22, 2013 at 2:16 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:

I never said you could ban people forming groups. But when you set up dogmas that cant be questioned, you have set up a religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion is poison to democracy Fake Messiah 62 4567 May 1, 2023 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10738 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4909 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion - The Poison For Human Mind (VIDEO) BLuex 1 1188 December 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19829 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49339 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5189 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused