Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you get bored?
Do you get bored?
First, how do you define "bored"? 

I always thought it was a feeling of wanting to be occupied but not having anything with which to occupy oneself and having a lack of ideas.

I cannot relate. AT ALL. I am definitely coming to terms with the fact that I am probably on the spectrum and I have no difficulty at any time either 1. Entertaining myself with internal storytelling, reliving memories, going through scenarios that may or may not happen, and general problem solving ideas to myself within my own head and 2. Bringing up an automatic feeling from within that simply answers the question: "what do I desire to do now/next?" Like the question doesn't even get a chance to be formulated or asked of myself. I just HAVE stuff I want to do. Always. I always have ideas and this feeling of what I most want to do next to occupy myself. Sometimes more than one thing fills that spot and so I have several things to choose from at any given moment.

Someone recently said to me "I'm BORED!" and it brought up again this feeling of wonder, fear, and pity for the person who would be plagued so. Are you among the unfortunate people who come by this affliction of boredom? What is bored to you? How do you cope with a head empty like that?

RE: Do you get bored?
Empty head is right. We live in a culture that pushes "entertain me!", and people grow to expect that. If one is bored they have only themselves to blame. I read books, carve and work wood and do a bit of copper smithing (but that not in awhile). I also surf the net. I watch near zero TV. Don't need that, it's mostly drivel.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 13, 2023 at 11:47 am)Fireball Wrote: Empty head is right. We live in a culture that pushes "entertain me!", and people grow to expect that. If one is bored they have only themselves to blame. I read books, carve and work wood and do a bit of copper smithing (but that not in awhile). I also surf the net. I watch near zero TV. Don't need that, it's mostly drivel.

Absolutely. Even though I consume a lot of content, if ever I run out of Youtube videos to watch right now, I'm never "stuck" or stopped just wandering listlessly through the site. I either have the thought, "Oh! Let me look this topic up!" which is a topic or idea I am interested in or I close the app and do something else for a while. And that "something else" is a bottomless ocean to draw from.

I go through cycles and phases with certain things. Sometimes for 2 months I'll be hot on tv, binging episodes one right after another. Then all of a sudden, I can't touch tv. You couldn't force me to sit down to watch something with you during the off times. But even if I was forced to watch tv and for some reason could not change the channel or leave(maybe we're visiting the grandparents and this is what is what they're doing at the moment), I either start meta watching the show that is on, picking apart production and acting, making up games where I count how many times actors do X, or I just check out entirely, disappearing into my head with my own story and characters.

Even at a suicide-inducingly dull social event, I always manage to entertain myself.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sometimes I get a "woody", that's close enough, isn't it?
(June 13, 2023 at 12:17 pm)no one Wrote: Sometimes I get a "woody", that's close enough, isn't it?

Bored not board.

(June 13, 2023 at 12:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Even at a suicide-inducingly dull social event, I always manage to entertain myself.

Boru

Right? My cousin had an end of year concert at their school and I was there to support them. So anytime they weren't on stage, while other students were playing their instruments poorly, I took out my phone to read my Kindle book. Got a good chunk of it read in 3 hours.

I think I was sort of trained not to get bored. As a kid/teen I spent a lot of my life grounded. This was in the days of us having one phone in the house, which was for dad's business, we could get three TV stations till PBS came along, and there were certainly no electronics. Not quite the days of needing an abacus, but close.

I had a transistor radio and a small record player (it claimed to be stereo, but not so much). I read a lot, even flipping through the encyclopedia when I ran out of other books. I put together jigsaw puzzles sometimes so often that I would flip them upside down and put them together that way. When a young teen I was given an embroidery kit and that got me hand sewing. I later moved on to machine sewing.

Now I go through phases too. I will find a series that draws me in and will do a binge. I have been sewing again after years away from it. Lately I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks on medicine from the old days.

I don't get bored really. Sometimes I get restless. Since my age, not great health, and the pandemic pretty much grounded me again I was ready...more ready than most people, I suppose. There will be days when I pace from one thing to another...just burning off excess energy. I also work part time though it seems I am on call full time. The pets always seem to be needing attention of some kind.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Welcome back. Smile

I don't know if I get bored, but sometimes anxiety strikes where I enter a mood where I cannot focus on anything and just sit there doing nothing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 13, 2023 at 12:30 pm)Ten Wrote:
(June 13, 2023 at 12:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Even at a suicide-inducingly dull social event, I always manage to entertain myself.

Boru

Right? My cousin had an end of year concert at their school and I was there to support them. So anytime they weren't on stage, while other students were playing their instruments poorly, I took out my phone to read my Kindle book. Got a good chunk of it read in 3 hours.

I was thinking more along the lines of starting a rumour that someone took a whizz in the punch bowl.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 720 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How bored are you? arewethereyet 83 5364 May 8, 2020 at 11:14 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  This is how bored I actually am Cod 0 385 October 2, 2019 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1159 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  From where do you get your information ? notimportant1234 23 3368 January 9, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do you ever get this feeling whilst in bed? Arsoo 18 2345 September 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  You get what you pay for...? AceBoogie 28 2989 November 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Bored at work Expired 7 1599 November 16, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Expired
  Zero Motivation... how do you get through it? Joods 20 2261 March 2, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bored. Want to change my user name. Joods 127 7925 January 25, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Joods