Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Motivation... how do you get through it?
Zero Motivation... how do you get through it?
When you can't sleep and your mind is plagued with a ton of things, all of which you know you have to get done, but you have no motivation, how do you work through that? I have a list of things a mile long that are keeping my mind from shutting down so I can sleep. It's now nearly 4:30am and while I should be sleeping, I can't. Monday I didn't get anything done. Like, nothing. So now, the things I was supposed to do yesterday, are now piled on top of the things I have to do today and I'm getting overwhelmed.

Ugh. I think this is week is already going to shit and it's only Tuesday. Sad
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Zero Motivation... how do you get through it?
What I do, may not work for you.

Prioritize the list.
Break list up so the is does not look insurmountable. Put some easy tasks in with the hard tasks.
Try to do at lest one thing one the list per day/week/month. Depends on the task. Notice I said try, not complete. Don't set yourself up for failure.
If the task attempted proves to be to daunting at the time, stop and pick another.
Enlist help if possible.

Good luck. Now, get your ass in gear!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: 8224116601_43e0e1ff3a_z.jpg]

GET TO WORK !!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Tongue

The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This is pretty much why I take zoloft.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
I have trouble with this too. That's why my house is a mess, and I don't go to the gym consistently throughout the month. I don't have advice for this, but I can relate to the problem.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Zero Motivation... how do you get through it
I know the feeling Sad

I often get swamped by things, and it affects my sleep.

I deal with it by writing it all down, every last thing I have to do, so that its "out of my head". Then the next day, I sort them into priority lists, and roughly plan what day I will do each priority task. The less urgent things get done only when I'm able.

Break it down, and don't look at it all as one huge collection of "stuff to do". I know that's much easier said than done when it's right on top of you.

How about some meditation or relaxing music? Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I do make lists and sometimes they help. Sometimes they overwhelm me. I will try breaking them down into more doable lists.

My other issue seems to be when I'm working on something and then I hit a snag. I have to set that item aside and try to go onto the next thing. This would be okay if it wasn't for the fact that it happens more than once and I end up feeling like I didn't get anywhere with my day. Partial progress bothers me, especially since I have ADHD and have trouble with tasks in general.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Oh dear, yes that sounds frustrating.

I'm trying to think of little ideas for you, they may be silly but here goes:

1) When you hit a snag, you could write out a plan for the rest of the task, the steps that need taking to finish it once you can get going again on it, so that you leave it on a positive note.

2) You could use a little visual aid, I was thinking of a sort of bar chart. You could have your tasks along the bottom, with a percentage completion going up the side. So then, when you come unstuck, you can weigh up how close you are. Then you can draw in the bar, so that you see it as visual positive progress rather than just "not complete".

Sorry if they are no use! They jumped into my head so I thought I'd share just in case.

You can always send me a PM anytime, even if it's just to vent Heart
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't think it's possible to get through zero motivation, but I don't think you have zero motivation.

You've already acknowledged what you have to do and so I'm assuming there must be some acknowledgement as to what the motives are to do these things otherwise you wouldn't say you have to do them. 

To get myself moving I listen to music. Think about the end result of doing the things I should do.  Think about other people who just do the things they do even if they're grindingly difficult or hard.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you get bored? zwanzig 19 954 June 14, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 669 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Debate solely through the medium of memes Jacob(smooth) 6601 740688 April 13, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1077 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1602 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  From where do you get your information ? notimportant1234 23 3288 January 9, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do you ever get this feeling whilst in bed? Arsoo 18 2318 September 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  You get what you pay for...? AceBoogie 28 2885 November 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why can't creationists look through God? ScienceAf 33 5513 September 7, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Overpopulation: You get to cast the deciding vote. Pyrrho 109 18277 July 12, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92