Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From where do you get your information ?
From where do you get your information ?
I'm mostly reffering to scientific and philosophic information , but this thread can be about all types of information.
Also I'm thinking about online valid sources not books (books can be decieving too).
I use wikipedia because it seems to be the most objective and valid source that I could find.
What is your online source of information ?
Edit: I also find Psychology today valid.
RE: From where do you get your information ?
Wikipedia for sure.

Online articles, books, and professors otherwise.
I always Google first. It doesn't matter what source after that, as long as I get the "vibe" that it's legit and credible in some form. Hell, I've even read philosophical articles written by theists and enjoyed them.
(January 9, 2018 at 6:06 am)Grandizer Wrote: Hell, I've even read philosophical articles written by theists and enjoyed them.

Theistic philosophers are a guilty pleasure of mine. They are so open-minded and logical! If most believers were as reasonable as them, I wouldn't have a problem with religion.

A really good "contemporary" theistic philosopher (he died a few years ago) is John Hick.
I allways try to get some basic knowledge from sites like wikipedia beforen reading from other places.
I found media articles sometimes beeing false or turning a mosquito into a knight, I try to avoid them now.
(January 9, 2018 at 6:14 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(January 9, 2018 at 6:06 am)Grandizer Wrote: Hell, I've even read philosophical articles written by theists and enjoyed them.

Theistic philosophers are a guilty pleasure of mine. They are so open-minded and logical! If most believers were as reasonable as them, I wouldn't have a problem with religion.

A really good "contemporary" theistic philosopher (he died a few years ago) is John Hick.

Oh, they can be very logical to the point that I can't but respect them for that (better than a handful of intellectual atheists I've come across). It's only when it comes to matters pertaining to God that they lose me, but I will still read their works (even on God) just because they can still be good at explaining stuff.

By the way, most here won't agree with me on this, but I think William Lane Craig is very good with the logic, and not just rhetoric. But it doesn't help that he's sneaky and skews things in his favor. Plantinga comes off as more honest. Never heard of Hick, but I'll give his words a check next time I'm in reading mode.
Perhaps read them critically rather than avoiding them.

Edit: @notimportant

(January 9, 2018 at 6:29 am)Grandizer Wrote: By the way, most here won't agree with me on this, but I think William Lane Craig is very good with the logic, and not just rhetoric. But it doesn't help that he's sneaky and skews things in his favor. Plantinga comes off as more honest. Never heard of Hick, but I'll give his words a check next time I'm in reading mode.

WLC is okay. In my opinion he's not worthy to lick the salt off John Hick's nuts though. Totally different class of thinker.

Hick is no apologist. He could give a shit about proving god's existence. He writes remarkably insightful commentaries on what he thinks the true nature of God is.

If you can, check out "A Rational Basis for Theistic Belief" by Hick-- short essay, easy read
(January 9, 2018 at 6:29 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Perhaps read them critically rather than avoiding them.

Edit: @notimportant

You are right but I avoid reading them first when I try to get insight on a topic , I like to get some basic info about the topic than go to uncertain areas to see what they have to say.
I mean as far as a reliable source of information, you're right. Journalistic articles are often slanted, misleading, and/or poorly researched, especially on the web.
Science: I tend to start with popular science articles and books, then follow up with the references/footnotes. 

Philosophy: Could not care less.

Everything Else: Bongo Maretti's 'Big Red Book Of Highly Useful Stuff'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you get bored? zwanzig 19 953 June 14, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 669 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1077 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 936 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you ever get this feeling whilst in bed? Arsoo 18 2318 September 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6557 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the First 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? Rhondazvous 58 10516 August 20, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 15 4698 June 14, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 2 759 June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Get Your Christmas Videos In Shell B 11 1190 December 19, 2016 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Shell B