Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:59 am

Poll: Do you get what you pay for? Or are expensive things overpriced?
This poll is closed.
The cheaper, the better. Price is just a number.
0%
0 0%
You get what you pay for. The price of something is representative of how well-made it is.
0%
0 0%
In between. Price matters to a point, after that cutoff point it's just about status/novelty.
100.00%
17 100.00%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You get what you pay for...?
You get what you pay for...?
Do you guys and gals believe that you generally get what you pay for? Or that most, if not all, expensive things are overpriced? Obviously the concept of something being overpriced can be completely subjective here... but I'm just talking in a general sense.

Or do you fall somewhere in the middle? That you get what you pay for to an extent... but that there's a point when the price of something simply becomes about novelty or status?

I'm interested to hear what people think.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

RE: You get what you pay for...?
Cheaper price is better unless the drop off in quality is too great.  Sometimes you really do need to pay more to get more.
Depends on what the item is tbh

Food and clothes, definitely, but I'll scrimp and save on everything else.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Option 3.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah I would say option 3. Everything has a price. I tend to buy things based on reviews rather than looks or other aesthetics. Sometimes I'll treat myself to something I 'want' regardless of price (to a point), though. Working for a big corporation it is fascinating to see how we market our products though, and how we tailor them for specific segments and demographics in the market.

An example would be earphones. I've never bought into the super expensive headsets. I've had a pair of Sennheiser's which were not expensive but not cheap, and they've lasted me years. I also have never bought into the wireless earphone thing either. I'm not a sound expert but even I can notice a drop in quality of the output, and for £250+ for the cheapest pair, it's daylight robbery.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
In principle it's somewhere in between. However, with my new video card (GTX 1050 Ti) I got more than I paid for. I've never expected that a 128-bit video card can work so well without any bottlenecking - something the old R7 370 did quite often, even when it was new.
It's pretty much the same with my monitor I got in the summer (BENQ GW2270) - paid only $100 for it but once again I got more than I expected. Normally I would have to pay 3 times more for a monitor that cares for the user's eyes but this one does that at a much lower price.
But most often it's quite the opposite - take any Android smartphone, for example. They're all expensive piece of shit. Too gentle, suck up on RAM like crazy to the point you can't make any video with it because there's not enough RAM left for that action. Galaxy S7 here costs a truck load of money (about $300) and it's practically useless because of the things I just listed.
While the best smartphone costs a little less than $50 and it's made by Microsoft.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Definitely option 3. Anyone who studies marketing should know that playing with the price can influence customers one way or another regardless of the quality of the product. Otherwise, yes, you do get what you pay for.
(November 24, 2016 at 2:40 am)operator Wrote: Do you guys and gals believe that you generally get what you pay for? Or that most, if not all, expensive things are overpriced? Obviously the concept of something being overpriced can be completely subjective here... but I'm just talking in a general sense.

Or do you fall somewhere in the middle? That you get what you pay for to an extent... but that there's a point when the price of something simply becomes about novelty or status?

I'm interested to hear what people think.

Definitely option 3.  There's someone in my work who's the epitome of a person who spends money purely for status, I have a theory he's some sort of sociopath for various other reasons aswell.

He used to come in work wearing an expensive hat, because of the brand they put goggles on every brand of theirs.  Like even if it's a pair of jeans it will have goggles sewn into it for reasons that baffle me completely.  It cost around 15 times what a normal hat would cost here in the UK.  I think he said it was about 150 pounds.

Everytime I saw him the hat would just get me angry, I'd think of great I have to talk to goggle hat wanker now.  A few other people have told him he looks like a twat wearing it.

But everything with him is shoes worth 1000 pounds, jewelry and watches and all sorts.

I do buy relatively expensive clothes but I like to think I buy at the range before the cut off point where it's just for status.

The brands I buy are fred perry, superdry, no religion, vans, dc, addidas.  They're pretty decent brands but not show off brands.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

It's relative, IMO. A $50,000 car is a purchase that I cannot justify, so I could say that it isn't worth the money. But someone wealthier and who owns a similar vehicle might judge it to be a bargain. But that doesn't mean that every car is reasonably priced. For some people, the main concern for a purchase may be its utility (ie, that bookshelf looks awful but it's sturdy and the price is low) and for other people there may be an aesthetic requirement (ie, I'm not putting that hideous bookshelf in the living room-- get the one that looks nice and matches the decor even though it's a bit pricey).

Now, I do think that there are things that are overpriced. If the main reason (or the only reason) a person is buying an item is because it's so expensive that you'd need to be ultra rich just to consider it --in other words, the ultimate status symbol that proves that you're rich enough to do stupid things-- then I think an argument can be made that it's objectively overpriced. :p
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I called my electric co to pay my bill and..... Brian37 9 1723 July 19, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How much would you pay for a Harambe Cheeto? SteelCurtain 42 4983 February 10, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The U.S. Virgin Islands Will Pay You US$300 If You Holiday There In 2017 ReptilianPeon 0 573 January 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
Question Do you think someone would pay you for sex? Losty 184 14918 May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  To everyone: do you pay to visit the beach in your country? rado84 53 9783 July 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How much do you smoke and pay for Marihuana? Meylis Delano Lawrence 16 4816 March 17, 2013 at 9:55 am
Last Post: festive1
  This is what you get when you tell me you hate the world :) Violet 11 2766 September 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No pay from the religious binny 4 1129 February 4, 2010 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  If they can't get you at home they'll mail their shit to you! binny 11 4347 October 21, 2009 at 3:25 am
Last Post: fr0d0