Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me with your perspective
Help me with your perspective
40 chapters into the novel, the main character is slowly, throughout, revealed to be the last born Native American.

However, the catch is that he was born in Sweden after his family fled America.

I wonder, how does he remain Native American if he wasn't born in America? Does this mean he's just indigenous?

Up to this point, I've been getting by with referring to him as the last of his tribe.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Help me with your perspective
To the extent isn't ones identity not simply how one sees oneself but also negotiated with how others see you. Basically, how does this character see himself fitting into the identies available to him from the broader culture? And how do the identity markers available to him make him feel diminished or empowered. Does the noble savage stereotype resonate or repulse him? For example.
<insert profound quote here>
Hello.

Uneducated opion to follow;

(1) Are you going with 'Phenotype' or 'Culture'?

If the first option? Then you're looking at 'Andean Condor' levels of stuff. Hmmm well, have fun exploring those ethics.

If 'Culture'? Maybe look up how the Welsh and Basques worked things out.

Hope that helps with things. Great

Cheers.
'If your cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.' - Abraham Lincoln

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 16, 2023 at 3:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'If your cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.' - Abraham Lincoln

Boru

Actually, the most helpful response so far.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 15, 2023 at 9:49 pm)Tomato Wrote: 40 chapters into the novel, the main character is slowly, throughout, revealed to be the last born Native American.

I wonder, how does he remain Native American if he wasn't born in America? Does this mean he's just indigenous?

Up to this point, I've been getting by with referring to him as the last of his tribe.

Replace "Native American" with "Jewish" and it may click in your head. It's an ethnicity and genetics thing, not a matter of where you were literally born. Although in this context it makes more sense to say the specific tribe than just "Native American," but I feel like it doesn't make a difference anyway because that tribe would still be the last Native American tribe in existence too.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I'm Irish-American. I never forget.

AND when I got out of Balboa Naval Hospital in 1972 after a three month stay one of my ward mates took me to his place for our 30 days R&R. "His place" was a Navajo Rez a bit north of Flagstaff, AZ. We chilled out in the desert on peyote and wicked weed before we parted. His grandson died in Iraq in '03. We met up for one last time.
(June 15, 2023 at 9:49 pm)Tomato Wrote: 40 chapters into the novel, the main character is slowly, throughout, revealed to be the last born Native American.

I think depending on the context, there clearly are a number of different possible intended meanings for the term “native American”.

I think a few more likely meanings are:

1. Born in America but whose ancestors of recent past were from other parts of the world
2. born in America AND of ancestors who were here before columbus
3. Born not in America but of ancesters who were here before columbus
4. Born not in American and of ancesters where had been in America in the recent past but where from other parts of the world in the slightly less recent past.

In your case, it seems either 3 or 4 applies.
Hello, I share with you this resource
Administrator Notice
Link removed for 30/30 violation.
It has a lot of different information. Maybe someone will be interested. Maybe you will find something useful for you.
(June 27, 2023 at 11:04 am)EarlPinion Wrote: Hello, I share with you this resource
Administrator Notice
Link removed for 30/30 violation.
It has a lot of different information. Maybe someone will be interested. Maybe you will find something useful for you.

This may be premature but welcome to the forum.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer repair workshop customers I need your help purplepurpose 12 1122 March 18, 2019 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "putting time in perspective," and some fun facts! Catholic_Lady 49 9533 July 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Need your help. Brian37 2 805 October 31, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Forced Perspective Napoléon 0 643 March 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Ask Me Anything - Answers from a Cranky Old Atheist's Perspective! Minimalist 73 26870 February 17, 2013 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Star Ask Me Anything - Answers from a true Christian's Perspective! Christian 63 23309 February 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  i need your help salhed 19 4904 December 5, 2012 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.