Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity in Africa stats: <10 MN in 1900, 700 MN today.
Christianity in Africa stats: <10 MN in 1900, 700 MN today.
One of the signs of Christianity's continued growth and success has been its continuing relevance in many places of the world once arbitrarily deemed to be "a Missionary's Graveyard". Africa is one such example. Recent stats show there are now 700 MN Christians in Africa. In 1900, there were less than 10 MN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa

Quote:

Philip Jenkins, an Evangelical Christian, estimates that by 2040, there will be 450 MN Catholic Christians in Africa, more than the number of Catholic Christians in the entire world in 1950: https://catholicherald.co.uk/catholicism...wth-story/

Quote:

If Demography is Destiny, as they say, where does that leave Atheism? What do you think African and World Atheism will look like in the year 2050 A.D.?

By the way, Africa is expected to have a total population of 2.5 BN by 2050. I would guess, the way its going, there will be 1.5 BN Christians at least in Africa alone by then, if not closer to 2 BN. And since temporal prosperity often follows in the wake of the Gospel, as Pope Leo XIII says, I hope temporal prosperity also follows the spiritual prosperity the Africans have achieved in Christ, God Bless them. Again, what of Atheism?

Regards,
Xavier.
RE: Christianity in Africa stats: <10 MN in 1900, 700 MN today.
Oh goodie, Xavi is back with more walls of text.

yey.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Half of Africa is Christian, the other half Muslim. If you can make a compelling argument out of that, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Instead you seem to be simply engaged in cherry picking the hits and ignoring the misses.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 22, 2023 at 12:07 pm)Nishant Xavier Wrote: One of the signs of Christianity's continued growth and success has been its continuing relevance in many places of the world once arbitrarily deemed to be "a Missionary's Graveyard". Africa is one such example. Recent stats show there are now 700 MN Christians in Africa. In 1900, there were less than 10 MN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Africa

Quote:

Philip Jenkins, an Evangelical Christian, estimates that by 2040, there will be 450 MN Catholic Christians in Africa, more than the number of Catholic Christians in the entire world in 1950: https://catholicherald.co.uk/catholicism...wth-story/

Quote:

If Demography is Destiny, as they say, where does that leave Atheism? What do you think African and World Atheism will look like in the year 2050 A.D.?

By the way, Africa is expected to have a total population of 2.5 BN by 2050. I would guess, the way its going, there will be 1.5 BN Christians at least in Africa alone by then, if not closer to 2 BN. And since temporal prosperity often follows in the wake of the Gospel, as Pope Leo XIII says, I hope temporal prosperity also follows the spiritual prosperity the Africans have achieved in Christ, God Bless them. Again, what of Atheism?

Regards,
Xavier.

You’ve done this before. Repeating the democratic fallacy doesn’t make it any less fallacious.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Because religion is dying in the West and atheism is growing worldwide, the relogious are targetting more and more across Asia and Africa.

Muslims are doing it, too.
Dying to live, living to die.
amazing the moron thinks the fact that christianity grew where the general standard of education is the most deficient and modernity most scarce is actually a thing to brag about.
Hey you royal clown, did your parents have any kids that lived?

With the "use" of soooooooooo many words, how is it that you say so little?
Oh, yay, some new thing to bullshit yourself about in a new thread. Still zero souls saved. Good job.

-and do you care? If the whole world converted to islam would you abandon your faith and start babbling about big mo?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 22, 2023 at 12:54 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Half of Africa is Christian, the other half Muslim.  If you can make a compelling argument out of that, I'd be pleasantly surprised.  Instead you seem to be simply engaged in cherry picking the hits and ignoring the misses.

Yes, Africa was predominantly polytheistic not long ago. Today, it is mostly monotheistic, from the mostly Christian South to the mostly Muslim North. As for an argument, I'm just looking at demographic trends, the same as Atheists do, when they say, Religion in the West, at least in some places, is declining. That may be true in certain countries, but not in Africa, neither in the world as a whole, which is getting more Religious, not less. See this Guardian Article: "If you think religion belongs to the past and we live in a new age of reason, you need to check out the facts: 84% of the world’s population identifies with a religious group. Members of this demographic are generally younger and produce more children than those who have no religious affiliation, so the world is getting more religious, not less – although there are significant geographical variations." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/au...ppens-next

If Demography is Destiny, Atheism is doomed, lol.

But speaking of that demographic change in Africa, where Christianity is now greater than 50% of the Continent, follow how it happened, and you might see it couldn't have happened without Miracles accompanying the preaching of the Gospel. Some 1 MN people gave their lives to Christ at one single Reinhard Bonnke Crusade. They did that only because they experienced Miracles shortly before trusting in Christ. Miracles happen. That is reality. That's how Christianity spreads. The extraordinary effect requires an extraordinary cause. St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John Chrysostom, at an earlier time, make a similar argument, for how Christianity grew so large so quickly, starting with but 12 Poor Apostles who had nothing to bring that about except Teaching and Miracles. That they did, and Millions soon became Christian. The extra-ordinary effect of an extra-ordinary cause, in that case, the Resurrection of Christ, and the Miracles of His Apostles. In this case, the Miracles Christ still works today for those who seek Him or are open to His Truth. Africans are devoutly seeking Christ, while some in other parts of the world are not. Hence, they receive such Great Favors from His Goodness as Powerful Miracles, which is what helped 1 Million Souls come to Christ at one Single Crusade; and there have been many such. One can hardly grow from 10 MN to 700 MN in a short time through naturalistic causes; otherwise, let Atheists try the same, lol.
(July 22, 2023 at 3:30 pm)Nishant Xavier Wrote:
(July 22, 2023 at 12:54 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Half of Africa is Christian, the other half Muslim.  If you can make a compelling argument out of that, I'd be pleasantly surprised.  Instead you seem to be simply engaged in cherry picking the hits and ignoring the misses.

Yes, Africa was predominantly polytheistic not long ago. Today, it is mostly monotheistic, from the mostly Christian South to the mostly Muslim North. As for an argument, I'm just looking at demographic trends, the same as Atheists do, when they say, Religion in the West, at least in some places, is declining. That may be true in certain countries, but not in Africa, neither in the world as a whole, which is getting more Religious, not less. See this Guardian Article: "If you think religion belongs to the past and we live in a new age of reason, you need to check out the facts: 84% of the world’s population identifies with a religious group. Members of this demographic are generally younger and produce more children than those who have no religious affiliation, so the world is getting more religious, not less – although there are significant geographical variations." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/au...ppens-next

If Demography is Destiny, Atheism is doomed, lol.

But speaking of that demographic change in Africa, where Christianity is now greater than 50% of the Continent, follow how it happened, and you might see it couldn't have happened without Miracles accompanying the preaching of the Gospel. Some 1 MN people gave their lives to Christ at one single Reinhard Bonnke Crusade. They did that only because they experienced Miracles shortly before trusting in Christ. Miracles happen. That is reality. That's how Christianity spreads. The extraordinary effect requires an extraordinary cause. St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John Chrysostom, at an earlier time, make a similar argument, for how Christianity grew so large so quickly, starting with but 12 Poor Apostles who had nothing to bring that about except Teaching and Miracles. That they did, and Millions soon became Christian. The extra-ordinary effect of an extra-ordinary cause, in that case, the Resurrection of Christ, and the Miracles of His Apostles. In this case, the Miracles Christ still works today for those who seek Him or are open to His Truth. Africans are devoutly seeking Christ, while some in other parts of the world are not. Hence, they receive such Great Favors from His Goodness as Powerful Miracles, which is what helped 1 Million Souls come to Christ at one Single Crusade; and there have been many such. One can hardly grow from 10 MN to 700 MN in a short time through naturalistic causes; otherwise, let Atheists try the same, lol.

If atheism is doomed, it doesn’t make atheism false. If Christianity becomes the only religion in the world and gains a 100% adherence rate, it won’t prove Christianity true.

David Hume pretty neatly disposed of miracles three centuries ago. Even if he hadn’t, there is a much more prosaic explanation for the success of Christianity.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4787 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1577 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2127 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Atheists of Today Show announcement ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 17 4057 November 17, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE
  Today is Chapter One of my new life Won2blv 15 2451 October 23, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why is it so hard to be openly atheist in today's world Ghost2282 63 11688 March 30, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  I was having lunch with an Atheist today... Mystic 28 7001 January 12, 2015 at 7:05 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  So my high school teacher is on the front page of the Huffington Post today... Mudhammam 22 5150 July 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Science/Religion Debate Live-Streaming Today Secular Sanity 22 6245 March 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: SecularSanity