Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bizarre things my mind conjures up
Atheist spiritualist mediums
There are atheist spiritualist mediums! One I was friendly with said that she doesn't believe in God ... or an afterlife. I had attended her session out of curiosity. She spoke to several people ... named dead relatives, etc. When she came to me she gave me a puzzled look and said: "I'm getting imagery of bicycle parts?" A few hours earlier I'd been in a shed looking at a disassembled bicycle. I later met her in the street and we went for a coffee. She told me that she sees people "turn into" their deceased relatives, etc. and that thoughts and voices seemingly coming from these dead people flow through her mind.

Once, during my squatting days, when I was somewhat stoned. I saw another young squatter "turn into" a middle-aged woman. When I described her he said I was "describing his mother"...who had been dead for years. The experience rather freaked him out.

There are psychics who use their clairvoyant and clairaudient talents for criminal purposes.

I do on occasions see colours on people that appear to be related to their health and emotional state.

Despite these experiences I'm 100% convinced that there is no God, no afterlife. When I'm dead I'll"cease to exist"

One thing I did not think possible was psychokinetics the ability of the mind to directly effect the material world. Telepathy? Yeah! But scientifically psychokinetics is impossible! Then, one day when I was in a state of "deep concern" about the well-being of a friend I switched my computer monitor on and it went "BANG". Coincidence? Later that day my tape recorder did the same thing ... again when I was thinking about her. Of course both events could be merely "coinicdence" ... but maybe not?
RE: Atheist spiritualist mediums
Quote:Despite these experiences I'm 100% convinced that there is no God, no afterlife. When I'm dead I'll"cease to exist"

So we're going to use these powers pretty much just to have fun then, right?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Even atheists can adhere to nonsensical things.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 19, 2023 at 6:36 pm)SeniorCitizen Wrote: There are atheist spiritualist mediums! One I was friendly with said that she doesn't believe in God ... or an afterlife. I had attended her session out of curiosity. She spoke to several people ... named dead relatives, etc. When she came to me she gave me a puzzled look and said: "I'm getting imagery of bicycle parts?" A few hours earlier I'd been in a shed looking at a disassembled bicycle. I later met her in the street and we went for a coffee. She told me that she sees people "turn into" their deceased relatives, etc. and that thoughts and voices seemingly coming from these dead people flow through her mind.

Once, during my squatting days, when I was somewhat stoned. I saw another young squatter "turn into" a middle-aged woman. When I described her he said I was "describing his mother"...who had been dead for years. The experience rather freaked him out.

There are psychics who use their clairvoyant and clairaudient talents for criminal purposes.

I do on occasions see colours on people that appear to be related to their health and emotional state.

Despite these experiences I'm 100% convinced that there is no God, no afterlife. When I'm dead I'll"cease to exist"

Your atheist psychic was doing something known as ‘leading’. It’s a common practice among charlatans of this sort.

You saw something unusual when you were high? Ok, I’m convinced.

People who use their ‘psychic powers’ for criminal purposes are known as ‘criminals’. There is no such thing as psychic powers. Grow up.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 19, 2023 at 6:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 19, 2023 at 6:36 pm)SeniorCitizen Wrote: There are atheist spiritualist mediums! One I was friendly with said that she doesn't believe in God ... or an afterlife. I had attended her session out of curiosity. She spoke to several people ... named dead relatives, etc. When she came to me she gave me a puzzled look and said: "I'm getting imagery of bicycle parts?" A few hours earlier I'd been in a shed looking at a disassembled bicycle. I later met her in the street and we went for a coffee. She told me that she sees people "turn into" their deceased relatives, etc. and that thoughts and voices seemingly coming from these dead people flow through her mind.

Your atheist psychic was doing something known as ‘leading’. It’s a common practice among charlatans of this sort.

You saw something unusual when you were high? Ok, I’m convinced.

People who use their ‘psychic powers’ for criminal purposes are known as ‘criminals’. There is no such thing as psychic powers. Grow up.

Boru

Well the bicycle part thing was kind of specific, wasn't it?
Doesn't believe in an afterlife - talks to dead people. I thought dead was after life.

Something seems a little off here.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 19, 2023 at 6:51 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Well the bicycle part thing was kind of specific, wasn't it?

Not at all, considering most everyone grows up learning to ride one.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 19, 2023 at 6:54 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Doesn't believe in an afterlife - talks to dead people.  I thought dead was after life.

Most people (or perhaps all of them) believe in an afterlife, even if they claim to be an atheist.
(November 19, 2023 at 7:11 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 19, 2023 at 6:54 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Doesn't believe in an afterlife - talks to dead people.  I thought dead was after life.

Most people (or perhaps all of them) believe in an afterlife, even if they claim to be an atheist.

Citation needed.

I don't believe in an afterlife.  Some people want there to be an afterlife but that does not make it exist.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My father was an identical twin ... so were his sisters. Two pairs of identical twins in the same family. One of my aunts immigrated to Canada. One day her sister in London suddenly experienced a state of extreme distress while at work and had to go home.The next day she was ok. She wrote to her sister in Vancouver, Canada. At the exact time she'd become distressed her sister was being told by a doctor that her infant son was probably going to die (he didn't).

My father's twin had a similar experience when my father had a serious accident.

One of Britain's most senior psychiatrists said: "Psychiatrists who don't believe in telepathy should find another profession".

Another "senior psychiatrist" told one of his patient's ... who brought up the subject of telepathy: "Telepathy is impossible! All people who believe they have telepathic experiences are mentally ill".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool Idea, Bizarre Headline BrianSoddingBoru4 15 2831 June 5, 2017 at 9:13 am
Last Post: brewer
  "How to Change Someone's Mind" Wash. Post. article drfuzzy 0 834 February 25, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Mind / Brain Baalzebutt 17 7234 March 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Angrboda