Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing Down the King
Question 
Bringing Down the King
A time traveler from the distant future arrives accidentally in the Middle East during the reign of the Roman Empire around the year 20 (give or take). Knowing the great suffering that christianity will cause the world for the next 2000+ years he decides to find and kill Jesus Christ.

Is it possible for him to be successful?

Several assumptions will have to be made. Discuss.

[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Bringing Down the King
Assuming that Jesus really existed, yes. That, and if Jesus didn't have a terminator protecting him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKye7J3-54
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Paradoxes aside, I think killing Jesus and getting away with it could've been rather easy. I mean you have to assume he spent a lot of time traveling and a lot of time praying in solitude. No DNA or finger prints. He was known to turn the other cheak, so he probably wouldn't have fought back too much. I mean killing Jesus should've been a cakewalk. The question is, would it have just created a martyr earlier than it already did?? At what point of his life would you have to kill him to avoid the entire religion taking off??

(May 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: A time traveler from the distant future arrives accidentally in the Middle East during the reign of the Roman Empire around the year 20 (give or take). Knowing the great suffering that christianity will cause the world for the next 2000+ years he decides to find and kill Jesus Christ.

Is it possible for him to be successful?

Several assumptions will have to be made. Discuss.

How would you be able to tell if you went back linear in time as opposed to Parallel?
Constantine would have found some other dick head to worship.
(May 3, 2011 at 2:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Constantine would have found some other dick head to worship.

a whole nother good point to add to this. What horrible religion would have taken its place?

Whatever it was could it have been any worse?
(May 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: How would you be able to tell if you went back linear in time as opposed to Parallel?

1. In this hypothetical, it is not "you" who is traveling through time
2. Linear / parallel would be part of those assumptions I mentioned you would need to make.
3. You choose your own argument. "Would he be successful in killing jesus?" The reasons for a yes or a no answer are broad.

Thinking

In this assumtion are you saying Jesus is the Son of God, the creator of the universe.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm)Godschild Wrote: In this assumtion are you saying Jesus is the Son of God, the creator of the universe.

My only assumption is that the man once lived ... and even that is not grounded in documented evidence.
Assumptions as to his deity may be made by you if you so choose. They will not be made by me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2359 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  Religion was once again showed down my throat Der/die AtheistIn 13 2748 October 1, 2017 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Succubus
  King James is the real Bible. KJV-reader 161 16331 August 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Did King David rape Bath-sheba? Tonus 77 24953 December 3, 2014 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Drich
  Phil Robertson Taken Down StealthySkeptic 9 2683 September 11, 2014 at 11:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Cinjin ; get down and shine my boots . Artur Axmann 1 970 June 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4686 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  JESUS KING OF ALL NUTS Inspectorcritic 11 4644 January 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Ashes1995
  King Religions Jayp 18 9226 May 26, 2009 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Jayp