Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:04 am

Poll: We wake up tomorrow and everyone is an atheist is the world better off?
This poll is closed.
Yes
71.43%
25 71.43%
No
28.57%
10 28.57%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would the world be better off if all theists became atheists.
Would the world be better off if all theists became atheists.
at first i was going to word this as " would the world be better off if all theists vanished" but then i think that
would evoke personal ties to people, or the thought that gee that doctor i know who saved my life was a theist etc.. so i changed it.. simply put

we wake up tomorrow and everyone has converted to atheism.. is the world a better place to live in?
"i hate therefore i am"

go to my blog and click an ad!

[url=http://thisistheatheistview.blogspot.com/]
RE: Would the world be better off is all theists became atheists.
It would be one less thing to fight about.

and that can only be a good thing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: It would be one less thing to fight about.

so atheists do not have their own in-fighting ? Tongue
"i hate therefore i am"

(May 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm)darkblight Wrote:
(May 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: It would be one less thing to fight about.

We have spats not crusades.Tongue

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Would the world be better off if all theists became atheists.
(May 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm)darkblight Wrote: at first i was going to word this as " would the world be better off if all theists vanished" but then i think that
would evoke personal ties to people, or the thought that gee that doctor i know who saved my life was a theist etc.. so i changed it.. simply put

we wake up tomorrow and everyone has converted to atheism.. is the world a better place to live in?

*Better* ??? Not sure why you're asking...

It depends on how the world handles it.. Atheism is not a social institution.. Nor is atheism a separate belief system.. So your question really is faulty imo..

Atheism is not a counter belief (and thus alternative system of belief to those who do believe).. So there is no way to gauge what WOULD happen.. We can only say what is most likely NOT to happen anymore were the world no longer theist...
(May 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

i feel this way.. it would be better.. and I imagine many others do as well.. so why not actually do something about it?

(May 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm)Eudaimonia Wrote:
(May 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm)darkblight Wrote: at first i was going to word this as " would the world be better off if all theists vanished" but then i think that

It depends on how the world handles it.. Atheism is not a social institution.. Nor is atheism a separate belief system.. So your question really is faulty imo..

Atheism is not a counter belief (and thus alternative system of belief to those who do believe).. So there is no way to gauge what WOULD happen.. We can only say what is most likely NOT to happen anymore were the world no longer theist...

for the sake of conversation the word "better" is subjective in that would you feel the world to be more to your liking.

as in.. if everyone in the world was suddenly MORMON would it be for the better or the worse?

it is pretty common in conversations to ask if something is better or worse, so please do not be so nit picky it is not a scientific postulate i am trying to create just a question on opinion.
"i hate therefore i am"

As much as I want to say yes, I can't entirely. I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, and he told me that he agreed with what I was saying, but the "hopelessness of atheism" was too much for him. I wondered what would happen to him if he realized life was most likely the extent of his lifetime. There is something very cruel about telling a small child that Santa doesn't exist. And it parallels the belief that some people have in a god. Personally, like a child with Santa, I feel it is something that our species must outgrow. I know i'll get hit about that, but can you imagine the volume of people mourning the loss afterwards? I didn't become atheist overnight, it was a process, and I am better because it was a process.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
Quote:but the "hopelessness of atheism" was too much for him.

So he forces himself to believe in fairy tales?

Incomprehensible.
(May 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm)darkblight Wrote:
(May 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

i feel this way.. it would be better.. and I imagine many others do as well.. so why not actually do something about it?

(May 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm)Eudaimonia Wrote:

for the sake of conversation the word "better" is subjective in that would you feel the world to be more to your liking.

as in.. if everyone in the world was suddenly MORMON would it be for the better or the worse?

it is pretty common in conversations to ask if something is better or worse, so please do not be so nit picky it is not a scientific postulate i am trying to create just a question on opinion.

My intent is not to be nit picky.. It is to explain why I think the question is inherently faulty.. If you asked if the world would be better off Mormon.. I would simply review the Mormon philosophy and practices etc.. to gauge what human beings would do..

For instance when we evaluate dominant atheist communities that are prosperous.. imo.. they are not prosperous BECAUSE they are atheist.. They are prosperouse BECAUSE they adopted and practiced successfully certain principles..

I could only say that the world would be freer to practice those principles if they chose to do so.. but could not say if the world would more likely practice them...

I hope that helps you understand my point better...

(May 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:but the "hopelessness of atheism" was too much for him.

So he forces himself to believe in fairy tales?

Incomprehensible.

i have said before, atheism is both freeing and horrifying at the same time.

frankly we live in bodies that have pleasure centers to reward us for certain actions , take advantage of those pleasure centers.

frankly if i could have a harem of servants and a morphine drip attached to me for the rest of my life i would do it in the blink of an eye.

and there comes in the question of social standing and wealth, and in this society that is about all that matters.

again tho, if you answer yes to this question, and i have.. what can be done about it?

theists spring to action every day to recruit, if we are to fight the good fight we must to.

theists dedicate their entire lives to their belief, for us to win we must too!

and trust me, it is a battle! a battle for the mind. the mormons go door to door.. maybe we should to.. i would actually love to do that.. would take some balls but ohhh the conversations you could have.
"i hate therefore i am"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4044 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10454 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists, if all Southern Americans are backwards? BillieBobbie 44 3884 April 1, 2023 at 4:25 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3251 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1787 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1577 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4470 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18658 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11365 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus