Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I'm beginning to hate religious people.
I'm beginning to hate religious people.
It comes to the point now that if religion comes up I just shut my mouth and head for the hills. What is it about people and religion that they feel the need to point out the error of your ways once you announce that you're an atheist? I respect their right to believe what they like, despite how irrational and arrogant I may perceive it as being. I don't bother pointing out all the flaws in their beliefs with logic that a first grader could understand. For some reason, religion has been coming up a lot lately whether it be at work, with friends, or whatever. Probably due this Rapture retard that said the world was coming to an end. I keep to myself and my work and personal life separate, but if asked what I believe, I'm sure as a hell going to tell you the truth and I'm not afraid to defend it. You should see some of the reactions I get when people ask about my religious beliefs and I tell them that I'm an atheist. I've found that a lot people don't even know what the hell it really is yet tend to act negatively right from the start. I actually had one person started relating atheism to satanic beliefs and rituals. I mean really, come on? If I don't believe in God, did he really think I believe and followed in the teachings of the devil? Basically the point of this rant is I just want to know how you people deal with all these idiots? I really don't have the energy or the desire to argue the point to someone blindly arrogant, so what's the best answer for when religion becomes a topic of discussion? Lately, I'm moved onto saying I'm not religious and just leaving it at that. Seems to work so far.

Also, interesting side note. One of those born again, bible thumping, Christians was talking about the supposed Rapture that was to be coming up and was asking a few people what they thought about all the nonsense surrounding it. It came out that I was an atheist when he was talking to me. He then said that he would pray for me, in a somewhat condescending tone. To which I responded that he was free to waste his time however he felt was necessary. Apparently that comment lit a fire under his ass because he tried to file and HR complaint against me for that. I just laughed when I was told that.
RE: I'm beginning to hate religious people.
(May 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm)Grissa Ost Drauka Wrote:

Hello and welcome to AF. Typically, a new member will post in the "Introductions" section to introduce his or herself (this also tends to reduce the suspicion that a new poster might be a troll or POE).

With that out of the way, I'll say that the best way to respond when religion comes up in a discussion depends on the situation. For example, I have recently begun interviewing for jobs, and very frequently, the interviewer will casually ask "So where do you and your wife go to church?" Knowing that if say "I don't go to church because I am an atheist", I'll have a snowball's chance in hell of being considered for the position, I'll say "Oh, we go to the Baptist church in downtown X. I really enjoy "Doctor" X's sermons (names removed to protect the imbeciles). This gives me instant "fellowship" and increases my odds. I figure since 90 percent of the people here (central Florida) are "Christian", I should play along if I want to land a job.

If the topic comes up at a party, I'll be very vague. No point in being ostracised or spoiling the party.

My experiences are similar to yours - most people don't understand what atheism is, and often have ridiculous views about it that include "Satanism", "lack of morals", "god haters", etc. In fact, most religious types that I encounter pronounce atheist with a long, drawn out capital "A", and practically spit when they say the word.

"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
Quote:What is it about people and religion that they feel the need to point out the error of your ways once you announce that you're an atheist?

Most of them are ignorant shits.

Next question.

Quote:What is it about people and religion that they feel the need to point out the error of your ways once you announce that you're an atheist?

idiocy?
In response to your question, I think it's narrow mindedness and also fear. People fear what they don't understand.

When I read stories like the above, I feel incredibly thankful to be from England, where, in my experience anyway, people are more open and understanding than in the States.
I hope for your sake and their own, these people open their minds soon.
(May 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm)Strongbad Wrote: For example, I have recently begun interviewing for jobs, and very frequently, the interviewer will casually ask "So where do you and your wife go to church?"

It's illegal for an interviewer to ask you about your religious views in a job interview, and I would refuse to answer. Or, I would answer honestly and then sue them when you don't get the job.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I actually am working on showing religious people you don't have to believe in god to do good. I even help with construction projects on a local church, I quote the bible in hope's of showing the time's they contradict themselves, doing this has led them to believe I'm possessed by the holy ghost. I get what you mean but you have to do thing's in a certain way to make them question their religion.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(May 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(May 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm)Strongbad Wrote: For example, I have recently begun interviewing for jobs, and very frequently, the interviewer will casually ask "So where do you and your wife go to church?"

It's illegal for an interviewer to ask you about your religious views in a job interview, and I would refuse to answer. Or, I would answer honestly and then sue them when you don't get the job.
Believe me, I'd much rather reply "It's none of your fucking business whether I go to church or not, and that has nothing to do with my qualifications, so now can we get on with the interview?" But, here in the deep south, it doesn't pay to come across that way. It is better to play along and hope I get the job. Besides, if I sued them, my attorney would be Christian, their attorney would be Christian, as would the judge and all of the jurors; I don't think I'd get very far. I know it's illegal, but the "good old Christian boys club" is a reality here.

As a side note, my ex business partner was an extremely devout Christian. The day he pulled me aside and told me that we would never hire a "nigger" in our company is the day I decided to sell my half of the business to him and get the hell out of there.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
This really reminds me of a video someone once made - an mid-eastern looking man ranting how in 'his'country, religion was controlling everything, people in high position all had to be of that religion, wars could be started for that religion, that religion tried to control the schools...only to reveal at the end that he wasn't talking about some muslim country, but about the USA. Just goes to show that this unspoken message is still true.

When people act startled or have the wrong idea I just clarify what I am:
"What I mean is, I do not believe and follow any god. And I mean I don't follow any other 'mystical being' either. There si no hate, and I am not following some 'anti-force' like Satan. After all, he also is a 'mystical being' - which I don't believe in in general. Atheism, or rather A - Theism means 'without a god', in other words, simply not believing. I'm not hating. All that it means is that I do not partake in any religious life, like visiting a church or praying.'

if people go on and ask 'whyyy?' just simple reply 'I found that it didn't work out for me.' Rinse, lather, repeat.
If you don't feel comfortable discussing it, just keep using that line. If you want to discuss it, discussion can get heated, but never show your own frustration, don't yell or curse. Disengage and stop the discussion if you feel not good about it, and say 'I feel this discussion is not getting us anywhere. I'll stop now, and I'd appreciate if you would do the same'.
When I was a Christian, I was annoyed with dogmatic condescending Christians. Now that I'm an atheist, I'm annoyed with dogmatic condescending atheists. Just goes to prove that people are the same, regardless of what they do or don't believe.
The best way to irritate the **** out of a fundie is to just reply to their arguments with:

"Fine. Waste your life doing that, I don't care. I'm not converting, and I don't care what you think."

That argument is of course a logical fail, but if you really just want to make them mad, it's a great stance to take. The combination of somebody not caring about them, and the nonchalant accusation that they're wasting their life is a direct route to anger.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5274 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1933 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do you hate God? johndoe122931 100 7163 June 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1536 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Honestly, I hate the thought of god, zeus and jesus Apex1050 22 2531 July 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4343 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6727 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  I Hate Presup Amarok 4 2132 February 10, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14316 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6697 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok