Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Introduction
My name is Tom. I am 47 and an Atheist. I became one less than five years ago when I noticed that the pieces didn't fit. Although I'm not religious myself I fully believe that anyone has the freedom to believe whatever they wish as long as it doesn't impinge upon the freedom of others. I'm very interested in any aspect of the human condition and read up on these subjects : History, Religion, Physics, Psychology, Philosophy. I am not a learned man, but try to understand as much as I can about the world I inhabit. I also read Science Fiction. I try to treat everyone as equal, but am only human and am sometimes guilty of putting myself before others. I do however believe in the Golden Rule. I also believe that you can condemn someone for what they have said or done, but not them as individuals. The bar for this is absolute. No exceptions. I'm imperfect so therefore don't have the moral authority to judge others, irrespective of whatever their wrongdoing may be. I believe in physical exercise as well and walk regularly and weightlift daily. I also believe that it is possible to go through your entire adult life without ever having to borrow a single penny. Everyone should be capable of living within their means. I'm not afraid of death and look forward to spending all of eternity in a blissful state of non-consciousness after I shake off this mortal coil. I also don't like paragraphs that much. Thank you for having gotten this far anyway. Tom.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
RE: Introduction
Hello Tom

(June 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm)twocompulsive Wrote: I also believe that you can condemn someone for what they have said or done, but not them as individuals.

I find it very easy to condemn people as individuals, as a group even if they are particularly annoying.

(June 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm)twocompulsive Wrote: I also don't like paragraphs that much.

I fear others will condemn you for that.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
"I'm imperfect so therefore don't have the moral authority to judge others, irrespective of whatever their wrongdoing may be. "

This is a Christian/Relgious position. Read some sam harris, daniel dennet or christopher hitchens.

One can argue that the concept of a perfect being is improbable. Does that mean nobody should judge anyone? no. It means we should be careful about it though. Sam harris has more on this issue.

Harris contends that the only moral framework worth talking about is one where "morally good" things pertain to increases in the "well-being of conscious creatures". He then argues that, problems with philosophy of science and reason in general notwithstanding, 'moral questions' will have objectively right and wrong answers which are grounded in empirical facts about what causes people to flourish.
Hello, Tom.

Quote:I fully believe that anyone has the freedom to believe whatever they wish as long as it doesn't impinge upon the freedom of others.

Which is where it always breaks down as the douchebags think it is their god-given right to shove their nonsense up everyone elses ass.

Welcome, Tom. You can have religious like beliefs and still be an atheist. I try not to be judgmental as well. Christians do not have a monopoly on that. However, some things are worthy of judgment and I find myself having to judge, lest I lose my sense of right and wrong. The disgust and contempt I feel for certain people reminds me of who I do not want to be. Anyway, enjoy your time here and paragraphs are your friend. Just hit enter twice and see how it feels. Wink
Welcome, Tom the atheist.
Trying to update my sig ...
[Image: Smiley-wavinghi.gif]

semi-new atheist.

congratulations on your escape. Religion is a brutal prison. Welcome.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Welcome to the forums, feel free to jump right on in or lurk a bit.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome sir.

I find perfection to be a kind of silly idea. No one can really properly know what it is, so in my eyes feel free to judge away. We all do it.
Cunt
Nice to meet you!
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 735 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 975 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1956 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1427 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 4035 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2273 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2010 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1170 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 981 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2905 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2