Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Party! A celebration of Rural Nebraska.
Rainbow 
Party! A celebration of Rural Nebraska.

After midnight, and the party in Broadwater, Nebraska still goes on. The bartender commented at the Community Center that they would need a Brinks truck to-night: the Starr Diner took in more money to-night than they normally make all year.

And that was even with free beer.

I even managed to get my wife Beth on the dance floor for three dances. Wow. Slow dances with Yes, Starship, and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Disco, New Wave, amazing for this little rural town. Tonight, weighty discussions at home of Wicca and atheism, Richard Dawkins and Starhawk were put on hold for a village-wide party.

There was a raffle to-night of a Les Paul Guitar and a .410 shotgun, both from Mitchell’s Guns and Ammo of Broadwater, to support the new village hall renovation. Somehow I don’t think giving away a shotgun to a bunch of drunks is a really good idea, but Ron Mitchell assured me the ammo for the gun would not be delivered until Monday. We didn’t win either one. I pointed out to Mr. Mitchell that the gun would be more useful against the gophers in my yard than the guitar, but if it came to it, I could club 'em with the guitar.

There were people from all over Nebraska and several other states to-night at the Community Center. Even now after midnight the streets are packed with parked cars, and the party at the Center at one-thirty am continues unabated. Broadwater’s population seems to have swelled from 140 to over 20,000 to-night. The county sheriff’s office would do well to set up drunk-driver checkpoints on both ends of US-26 and SR-92. I ran into people to-night from all over the state that came to Broadwater specifically for the party at the Community Center. A rockin' town of 140.

Beth did not enter the Pac-Man contest as she said she would, nor did we enter the Rubik’s Cube solving contest, though they tried to draft us both into the contest as the town’s only two Mensa members. We pointed out that the smart thing to do with a Rubik’s Cube contest is not to enter.

I thought it was quite kind of them to throw a celebration little over a month after we moved here.

James
Broadwater Days Parade and Celebration: June 17-19. Theme - "Totally '80s." Broadwater Days is on Facebook.

Spoken by a Calif. tourist at the "Broadwater (Nebr.) Days" parade in Broadwater, 2010: "Why'd you take all the concrete up from your streets?"

Spoken by a Kans. tourist at the “Broadwater Days” parade to-day: “Why’d you move here?”

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Party! A celebration of Rural Nebraska.
Lucky bar owner. Assuming the bar makes a decent amount in a year: that's a fine influx of cash Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funeral or reveal party? c172 57 7397 August 14, 2023 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Ultimate Dinner Party onlinebiker 10 933 October 23, 2019 at 11:05 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Party like it's 19999? The Valkyrie 47 8832 April 18, 2018 at 4:25 am
Last Post: KittyAnn
  party like it's 399? SaStrike 14 2085 April 17, 2018 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Little lunch
Rainbow Flamboyance in rainbow colors for a party-HALP J a c k 23 2109 August 19, 2017 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Athene
  A Third Party Candidate? SteelCurtain 14 1344 June 5, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Forum game: who from AF would you invite to your party? emjay 301 29726 January 9, 2016 at 6:45 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Donlad Trump and the future of the Republican Party TheMonster 20 4430 November 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Halloween as a celebration of literature? ReptilianPeon 0 620 October 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Celebration Of The Banned Useless Failed Poe Thread Edwardo Piet 2 718 October 4, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet