Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Father
Shocked 
Christian Father
My father is a Christian and recently when I have questioned him about it, he just changes the subject and seems to have the mentality that he should believe for the sake of believing.

I feel I should try tell him about why Christianity is wrong but he he refuses to talk about the topic of religion, should I try and convince him or just allow him to go on living with the lie?

Cheers :-)
RE: Christian Father
Leave him be. People should have the right to believe what they will, so long as that belief is not harming anyone. You have let him know that you do not believe. It would be wrong of you to force your lack of belief on him, just as it is when a Christian forces their beliefs on you.

Have discussions... even heated debates... but never try to 'convert'.
If he's not willing to talk about it, well what's the harm in leaving him believe what he wants? He's not affecting anyone else, leave him be.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
Unlike the idiotic Christians in their proselytizing furor, atheists can be more dignified by being willing to let the ignorant remain so as long as they accost no-one in their presence. There is room for tolerance so long as no arguments are joined.
Trying to update my sig ...
Yeah...be happy he's not trying to shove it up your ass.
I agree with my fellow non-believers StuartH, just leave him be. Atheism isn't a position you thrust on someone, usually something has to happen to lead them to it of their own accord. Bible absurdities or questions that the clergy is not willing to answer to the full satisfaction of the believer are some examples. Some people die deluded but it seems that their particular delusions keep them happy and help them sleep better at night.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I am under the same boat. My dad is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met yet he still clings to beliefs that I feel deep down he knows are silly. The two times I have ever talked about religion with him he immediately gets defensive even though I have never tried to de-convert him, I've just tried to show how contrary his beliefs are with his scientific mindset. He never pushes his religion on anyone, including his kids, and he doesn't base his life or politics on it. So then what is the harm? The real problem with religion is that many people believe it's their duty to push their beliefs on everyone else. So I agree with what has been said here already, if he's not pushing his beliefs and his beliefs aren't harming him, let him believe whatever he wants.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Some people simply never recover from the early childhood brainwashing they are subjected to. It doesn't make them bad people....especially if they are not out there trying to actively push that bullshit on others.
(June 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm)StuartH Wrote: My father is a Christian and recently when I have questioned him about it, he just changes the subject and seems to have the mentality that he should believe for the sake of believing.

I feel I should try tell him about why Christianity is wrong but he he refuses to talk about the topic of religion, should I try and convince him or just allow him to go on living with the lie?

Cheers :-)

I agree with all the infidel atheists here ROFLOL that leaving him be unless he brings it up is best.

No one likes to be challenged about anything out of the blue. Puts them on the defensive. Dig in their heels and all that.

Now if he were to question you, or ask about your own thoughts on the matter, he has invited your response (though opening with "Christianity is bunk and this is why" is not likely to get a good listener).

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
My mom doesn't like it that I'm atheist, she just says I'm stupid for not believing a god. She also says the day will come that I will not be atheist anymore and for some reason she means it?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4221 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  My father Lucifer 13 1857 July 9, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Holy father vs. unicorns g0sU 15 3665 August 21, 2014 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Diablo
  Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist LivingNumbers6.626 160 30398 June 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  At what age did you stop praying to Father Christmas Mudhammam 13 4183 January 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ryantology