Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist
Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist
So my father and I have been in and out of arguments since last November. We would get into an argument one week and then three weeks later it'll get better and then one of us say something stupid and then it'll go back into a tense argumentative situation.

So anyways, this time it started with a Facebook status:

"If I knew I could be skating on the beach and hanging out with atheists and free thinkers on Sunday mornings I would have left church long ago. This is my type Sunday. So happy and content right now, all I need is my beautiful city and my fellow humans. No tricks, no gimmicks, no lies, no broken promises, no superstitions, and no fear or guilt. Just me and the beautiful world that I live in. Smile "

And then I received this message from my father and the following conversation transpired:

DAD
We would love to have had you at the temple with us. Im sorry that you feel that you have to publicly shame your family on Facebook. We still love you and you can always return. His arms are outstretched still. The last thing you mentioned was guilt.... If there is so much guilt, it's because you know you are doing something you should not... And you need to understand the atonement. It covers everything.
How's the job searching?

ME
no. you need to understand my status. in which part of the status did I shame you? I shame your religion because your religion is shameful. but you know everything, and I dont know why I am attempting to help you see it my way. the mormon religion is a victimizing its members for doing completely natural and human things. its cult, and a culture that pities the world not being saved. the mormon culture is racist, decieving, and hurtful.
and stop it. the atonement is the most idiotic, and illogical doctrines to have been invented. I dont have guilt because for once in my life, im true to myself and the world I live in. I dont need a sky daddy and his arrogant fat white prophets to show the way.
and I am welcome to come back?
to what exactly? the church? hell no. the church is full of fake ass friends who either dont care to associate with me or want to save me. I enjoy the friends I am making because they dont care about any of that nonsense, but they care about me for who I am.
to the family? I never thought I left.
do me a huge favor and respect my lack of belief. I dont need an atonement, salvation, or superstitions. drop the stereotypical religious stuff. just be a dad. thats how I like you best. I dont need a preacher or high priest, or preisthood holder.
but sadly, it is starting to appear that is impossible because im apostate in the your eyes.
just be happy for me. im falling into the arms of myself. I have finally found my truth and found my direction. im discoverying my own style, I am discoverying my musical genre, im discovering all this science that I have never heard of, im obsessed with quantum physics, im finding new hobbies, I am discovering my talents with computers and programing. I am finding my writing style. my relationship with my wife is fantastic. though I have occassional relapses and problems, when I am happy, I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.
and the worst part, religious people refuse to admit that my lack of belief was the healthiest thing I have ever done.
My wife and I were just talking about how we were so glad that we weren't married in the temple because things would have been so much worse.
this who I am, this is how I think. I no longer have interest in religion other than to let others know they can be happy and better with out it. I have no interest in the supernatural. I love logic, reason, and science. life is so much better with it.

DAD
And the job searching?

ME
you need communication skills

DAD
Whatever Kyle!

ME
I just wrote you a long message, all of which you ignored. check yourself.

DAD
You better check yourself. Cuz it looks like your going no where real fast.
Well. I'd like to waste more time talking in circles with you. But I'm going to go do something productive.

ME
bring it dad. bring it. let out all your insecurities and fears on me. let it all out.
coward.

DAD
You are the most disrespectful and rudest person I have ever known. And if you say you are happy, you are a liar. You no longer have a job. How are you going to live. Where are you going to live in a couple months? When the money runs out.
Good-bye..... I'm done. I will not communicate with you any longer until you become humble and full of live and compassion. If you are a representation of an atheist, then I want nothing to do with it.

ME
wow. feel big now?
just let me know when youre ready to have a real conversation, and I will be here to listen.

END OF CONVERSATION

I don't know, at the very beginning of coming out I was angry with guns slingin'. Then I cooled down and I sought to reconcile things with my parent and I did. And then my dad would come back and say cruddy things and ruin the situation. Then I would try to be honest in what I need from my father and he always ignores it. I think he is upset because he said my atheism is just a phase, but I think he now realizes it isn't and I am very unapologetic for standing up for my self.

So now this is possibly the worst timing, I lost my job and now he thinks I'm a failure. I'm 21 for goodness sake!! I was mentally abused by the mormon church for the first two years out of high school and then the third year I was rushed into a marriage to save my wife and I from sexual sin.

So my wife and I had been living on our own, going back to college, and paying for everything while going through our transitional stage out of religion. I just lost my job and my wife is going part time for school and so now we have to move out of our apartment and figure things out in the next thirty days.

Anyways, just wish my father would hear me out and respect me and my decisions and acknowledge my concerns.

In the mean time, I live with out a father because I'm atheist.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Father Disowned Me Because I'm Still Atheist
Mormonism is a bitch.

Good Luck. Things will workout. Keep focus and move on.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Oh, mormons. Worst of the worst. Congratulations for escaping them.
(June 3, 2014 at 12:28 pm)elconquistador Wrote: Anyways, just wish my father would hear me out and respect me and my decisions and acknowledge my concerns.

You ridiculed his beliefs and called him a coward....and you expect him to respect you?

You need to learn some tact.
(June 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 12:28 pm)elconquistador Wrote: Anyways, just wish my father would hear me out and respect me and my decisions and acknowledge my concerns.

You ridiculed his beliefs and called him a coward....and you expect him to respect you?

You have no fucking clue. Did you not read the back story and my situation right now? Fuck you.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
(June 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm)Heywood Wrote: You ridiculed his beliefs and called him a coward....and you expect him to respect you?

He didn't say anything that wasn't true and he wasn't specifically addressing his father. His father replied with an emotionally driven guilt trip; not very father like, particularly if the open arms thing is true. What you should also realize is that the welcome with open arms comes with the caveat that elconquistador return to every tenet of the bullshit he left behind.

You are proving yourself to be pretty fucking shallow.
Heywood is a believer. Do not pay any attention to him. He is delusional with faith.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
So was he blaming the no job thing on the losing the Jesus thing?
(June 3, 2014 at 12:44 pm)elconquistador Wrote:
(June 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm)Heywood Wrote: You ridiculed his beliefs and called him a coward....and you expect him to respect you?

You have no fucking clue. Did you not read the back story and my situation right now? Fuck you.

Yeah...fuck you too. You call your dad a coward and call his God a Skydaddy and you think that's going to build a relationship with him? You're a dumbass. Your father disowned you because you were being a dick to him.....not because you are an atheist.

Next time just tell him your happier without religion and leave it at that(if that's the case). Thank him for inviting you back but respectfully decline. Maybe....let him know you love him.
You've done an amazing and difficult thing. You've escaped utter indoctrination. Many people can't, and it sounds like your dad is among those. For now, it sounds like you're going to have to live as though he is dead to you. There is no common ground at this point.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds like you need a network of support, and fast. I know I found a fantastic group of atheist friends through a Meet Up group. Ours is affiliated with Center for Inquiry - Skeptics. You might do a search for something similar through Meet Up and learn if there is a group near you. I know the biggest thing the formerly-religious folks who belong to my group miss is a sense of community that a church provides. The difference is, the Skeptic group comes with no strings attached. As you pointed out, they like you just because you're you. They may also be able to help you network for a new job and/or housing.

I'm sorry your dad is not going to be there for you at a time of your great need, but he obviously can't. His help comes with some pretty big strings attached. I don't think you can go back.

Best to you, and please keep us posted going forward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1459 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4161 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31016 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4149 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5534 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3548 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10370 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9674 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14596 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10916 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster