Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rare Earth on the Mid Pacific floor.
Rare Earth on the Mid Pacific floor.
Great little news blurb here, for anyone who may have missed it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/04/...r_pacific/

I, like the author, love the concept but am unsure of its ability to be a source of these materials. Not exactly low hanging fruit.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Rare Earth on the Mid Pacific floor.
(July 5, 2011 at 10:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: Great little news blurb here, for anyone who may have missed it.

I, like the author, love the concept but am unsure of its ability to be a source of these materials. Not exactly low hanging fruit.

And the method that they propose using to extract them is strikingly similar to the method used to extract gold from low-grade ore in Summitville, Colo. ( http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summitville_mine )

After our marriage in the Colorado mountains, my wife and I went up to the EPA cleanup site of the Summitville Mine. Thinking some group might do that to the whole Pacific Ocean is scary.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
Guess we might have to add the cost of cleanup to the total cost of extraction eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm)Anymouse Wrote:
(July 5, 2011 at 10:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: Great little news blurb here, for anyone who may have missed it.

And the method that they propose using to extract them is strikingly similar to the method used to extract gold from low-grade ore in Summitville, Colo. ( http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summitville_mine )

After our marriage in the Colorado mountains, my wife and I went up to the EPA cleanup site of the Summitville Mine. Thinking some group might do that to the whole Pacific Ocean is scary.

The total quantity of rare earth metal ores required by the world is actually fairly small (in the order of tens of thousands of tons a year rather than millions of tons). If the quantity present in sediment is confirmed, only a very small area, say a few square kilometers, needs to be mined to supply the world's demand.

(July 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Guess we might have to add the cost of cleanup to the total cost of extraction eh?

The dirty part of rare earth processing deals mainly with the process of extraction of the metal from the ore, which is the same whether it's on land or at sea.

The process of scouping up large amount of ore containing mud from seafloor may cause other forms of contamination, such as releasing large volume of silt into the water or stir up products of biological decay, but it does not release material into the sea that's not already there.

Roger that. There may be a point where extracting this stuff, from this location, is a no brainer. I think the author was simply expressing his opinion that now may not be that time.
There are 600 billion tons of these 'rare earth metals' how much do they need for it not to be rare?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: There are 600 billion tons of these 'rare earth metals' how much do they need for it not to be rare?

There is nothing rare about rare earth metals. it's a misnomer. The only thing limiting supplies is they tend to be either costly, or dirty to extract. The chinese accepted the dirty route, as a result, they more or less became the world's only supplier. The Japanese are freaking out because the Chinese embargoed the Japanese over a territorial dispute, and the Japanese suddenly discovered the Chinese can shutdown most of Japanese electronics industry by denying them raw material and the Japanese have nowhere else to turn for the stuff, hence the interest in pulling the stuff off of the sea floor.

(July 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm)Chuck Wrote: There is nothing rare about rare earth metals. it's a misnomer. The only thing limiting supplies is they tend to be either costly, or dirty to extract. The chinese accepted the dirty route, as a result, they more or less became the world's only supplier. The Japanese are freaking out because the Chinese embargoed the Japanese over a territorial dispute, and the Japanese suddenly discovered the Chinese can shutdown most of Japanese electronics industry by denying them raw material and the Japanese have nowhere else to turn for the stuff, hence the interest in pulling the stuff off of the sea floor.

Which is moronic given the existence of plenty of rare earths mines all over the world, where the environmental impact and methodologies are well established, as opposed to mining shit from the oceans...

The again, this is the Japanese were talking about -- the same fuckers who insist they do whale hunting for 'scientific reasons' while dumping the meat on the market. Double talk all the way.
(July 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:
(July 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm)Chuck Wrote: There is nothing rare about rare earth metals. it's a misnomer. The only thing limiting supplies is they tend to be either costly, or dirty to extract. The chinese accepted the dirty route, as a result, they more or less became the world's only supplier. The Japanese are freaking out because the Chinese embargoed the Japanese over a territorial dispute, and the Japanese suddenly discovered the Chinese can shutdown most of Japanese electronics industry by denying them raw material and the Japanese have nowhere else to turn for the stuff, hence the interest in pulling the stuff off of the sea floor.

Which is moronic given the existence of plenty of rare earths mines all over the world, where the environmental impact and methodologies are well established, as opposed to mining shit from the oceans...

The again, this is the Japanese were talking about -- the same fuckers who insist they do whale hunting for 'scientific reasons' while dumping the meat on the market. Double talk all the way.

The only methodology that's been established around the world is to shut the mines down and buy the stuff from the Chinese. Japan has negligible reserve of it's own. So it wants a means to obtain it's own independent supply.

Regarding whales, I find the conceit that one culture's sentimental, posturing attachment must become all other cultures' inviolable dictate substantially more offensive than japan killing a moderate number of whales under false pretenses. The SeaShepard crowd is about as disgusting as those who eat cows in their own countries but wants to outlaw the eating of dogs in other countries merely because they've anthropomorphized their own fido with spa treatments and paw manicures.

Chuck has a point re whales/dogs, whatever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 575 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25283 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 813 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4402 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7431 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6870 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1062 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55826 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1755 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist