Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The only rational problem with Atheism
The only rational problem with Atheism
As an Atheist, there is one issue for me that is a problem. Although evolution is easily provable and is clearly a reality, it does not answer the question of "how this all began in the first place." Science itself acknowledges cause and effect. Something in motion has to be set into motion. A car doesn't accelerate without you pushing the gas pedal. So what is pushing the gas pedal of life. I have heard the best argument for god as "the first cause" and everything we see now is the result of that initial action.

Is there any examples or pattern in life where something has come into existence from nothing. Then again this would raise a further question, "do we have the ability to see what caused this something to apparently come out of nothing. Any thoughts.
RE: The only rational problem with Atheism
Uh ... I think two current threads are covering this currently. Use the search feature.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:it does not answer the question of "how this all began in the first place."

Why does it have to?
Isn't the great and holy answer, "Because?"
The recipe for chicken vindaloo doesn't explain how everything started either.
[Image: BlogSig.png][Image: sigimage.php?un=DaveD&t=182116&c1=7f5217...&c4=7f5217]
But at least you can digest that.

Well, at most places.
Watch BBC4 right now, it is about that very topic.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Everyone seems vary capable of side stepping this issue, just as Dawkins and Hitchins have perfected. No one likes not knowing the answer to a question that lies at the heart of their view of reality.
I'm telling ya, guy, use the search feature. This very issue has been addressed in recent threads. It has no bearing on "sidestepping:" The point is one of redundancy here.
(July 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:it does not answer the question of "how this all began in the first place."

Why does it have to?

Because as Atheist we assert that that life was not created. Evolution doesn't answer what the initial cause was. Even if the universe started with the Big Bang, what lit the fuse? What mixed the chemicals? Is this not a problem?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3414 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35403 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2823 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6804 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 566 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23323 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6637 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27121 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3413 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah