Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think we just made setnet history.
I think we just made setnet history.
I've been working without a single break since 5, and it is now 1:30 of the next day. Anyone remember that I was geeking out about a 26 tote day?

We have over 50. I'm thinking 55 or more, but we won't know until later today. And it wasn't just us either... our neighbors on either side were similarly struck by fish.

Several of our nets broke from having so many fish in them. There were nets out here that filled up more than 3 totes by the time one was done picking them, only for the net to be filled with another tote's worth when they leave for the next net. One of the boat crews I talked to, with the best fish-picker on site, hadn't even visited 4 of their 9 nets until the pull because there were so many fish. There were so many fish that we began to pull a full 2 and a half hours ahead of schedule. We even barely made the pull (infact still had one net in the water after pulling time). 'Barely' meaning by the skin of the teeth (which is pretty thin skin, doesn't take insults well)

My father, a late 50 year old who has fished all his life has never seen a day remotely like this.
My mother's brother, a 60 year old has fished all his life has never seen a day remotely like this.
My father's best friend, a 70 year old who has been fishing since the dinosaurs roamed the earth could draw only a single similarity to it, that in Bristol Bay and with 2 nets (and not nearly so many total fish).

We have 33 nets. The fish in these nets were being picked so quickly that we soon ran out of totes. The processing plant was so over-burdened that it not only ran out of ice: it ran out of totes used to transport the fish. We had so many fish and 3 extra helpers with which to do it that even with me assisting my mother in bringing totes to and from the canary (by taking a second vehicle and swapping at a halfway point): They brought full totes in at twice the rate me and my mother brought empty totes in.

Now.... you'd think I'd be completely ecstatic... after all I've made more today that in most of the rest of the season combined. You'd be wrong. There's something so ridiculously incredible about getting 50+ totes that it can shut even me up. Infuckingcredible.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: I think we just made setnet history.
[Image: face-surprise.png]

Is this true!? Is this a serious post from Sae?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(July 17, 2011 at 7:58 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Is this true!? Is this a serious post from Sae?

I think so.
We can't have that, it's just not right.

All these fish are obviously fleeing some terror lurking just off the continental shelf.
I've got my money on giant robot squid sent by an evil alliance of China, Russia, North Korea and Canada.
Flee, flee now while you still can.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
How sustainable is this, Sae?
Trying to update my sig ...
Over 65...

@Epimethean: very. If that pod of fish had hit the river, we'd be in serious danger of overescapement. But we're going to not fish too much more than our regular periods until the ADF&G feels secure with the number of salmon that have gone up the river. We're a very regulated industry, unlike the 1950s.

The old man (my father) has now openly stated that it was double the best day he's ever had.

Yesterday... 20,000 fish went up the Kenai, and 10,000 up the Kasilof. Today 50,000 fish went up the Kenai. If they had opened us again today... the same thing would have happened as yesterday.

This is the fruit of a properly regulated industry that aims for 'maximum sustainable yield'. The widespread belief is that sitewide we made over 100K yesterday. You better bet I believe it.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though... the processors dropped the price to $1.50 per pound on the morning of the day (just for the day) due to the number of people saying that the number of jumping fish was of 'biblical proportions' (among other strong statements). I actually really like that they dropped the price for that day, since our usual quality of fish dropped significantly when we lost ice, lost totes, couldn't pick all of the slackies. At least nothing was sunbaked.

Although the tote fork fell on me and cut a chunk out of me (damaging my ability to pull), I jumped out into a boat with only my life jacket and gloves on for gear and pulled like a maniac and drove similarly before I decided 'fuck it' and proceeded to pull despite my injury. I'd really wanted to go out with the boats and pick all day (and would have!), but when moving your right shoulder a few inches causes some rather aggravating pain: I thought I'd only slow them down. Cool then that my adrenaline rush got 2 boats out of the water on time Big Grin

Really wanted to go help my brother pull his last net, but the motor driver at the time didn't think it really mattered anymore. Scarily, the ADF&G helicopter circled around while that net was still in the water... but it didn't land and give us a ticket, so thank the people that follow the spirit of the law and not the letter Tongue
Careful they don't attack, Sae.

[Image: 20081206_fish_reflexology_attack.jpg]

It could get ugly.

Cool Shades
[Image: sockeyepic.gif]

Don't eat the spawning ones. They only get like that because they are rotting where thy swim.

We caught mostly non-rotting ones. It's still july. I hate fishing in august.
66 totes.

$121,929.61.

I made ~4000 in one day.

83,000 pounds of Sockeye Salmon.

Site total is $272,000. We're almost over 300K in the 'middle' of the season.

Best fucking fishing ever.
That's cool I guess. I don't much give a shit about fish.

It is funny though though the hypocrisy of the animal rights people.

Catch and suffocate as many fish and crustaceans as you want, but if you take an air-hammer to a pigs head and holy - shit you're a bloodthirsty butcher.

Fish are ugly and smelly - so nobody gives a shit. Funny thing.

Not that I'm against fishing. I'm all for eating me some surf and turf.
I'm with leo-rcc .... everything's better with bacon.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Bullshit Cinjin, the nutters do care about the suffering of primitive ichys.

REF: http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/

Tonight, I am eating chicken. Fried. And it will be glorious.
(July 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Bullshit Cinjin, the nutters do care about the suffering of primitive ichys.

REF: http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/

lol - alright so, a handful of them do. I spose there are no absolutes, but you probably knew what I was getting at.

Enjoy your fried chicken. I had pork-chops. Delicious!!

Tomorrow night, I think I'll eat one of those sea-kittens. (the other white meat) Wink
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have made a new YouTube video about anarchism... FlatAssembler 18 1199 July 30, 2022 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1164 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 502 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I've Made a Video about Anarchism FlatAssembler 43 3277 October 24, 2019 at 7:46 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1502 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1017 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 8139 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  George Carlin - The Only Prophet Who Made Accurate Predictions Minimalist 14 2066 December 24, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2745 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  History and some of the atrocities associated with it ErGingerbreadMandude 0 408 September 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude