Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've Made a Video about Anarchism
I've Made a Video about Anarchism
Hey, guys! I've just posted a video about anarchism. You can see it here (hopefully):
https://youtu.be/XxizDnTKBXI
It's in Latin, however, it includes many memes with text in English, so you can probably understand it even if you don't speak Latin.
So, what do you think about it?
RE: I've Made a Video about Anarchism
Are you Johnny Rotten?
Quote:I've just posted a video about anarchism.

Why?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why in Latin?
(October 20, 2019 at 11:23 am)Athene Wrote: Why in Latin?

Maybe in case Augustus is re-thinking the whole 'emperor' gig?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I didn't watch it because I don't speak Latin but I read the memes. I like the idea of removing the government because... corruption. But... then what? When I think, "what comes next?" it becomes apparent that the resulting power vacuum will just be filled by some other form of government. As long as people are near each other there will be government, we just need to figure out how to form one that will bring equanimity to the populace through the best disciplinary measures and economic distribution methods. I'm American so I'll speak about America. What I see now is society being separated into walled gardens where, if you meet the purity test, you will be allowed to flourish and speak your mind such that it conforms to the thoughts of the denizens within the walls. Dems and Repubs are at each others throats and seem unable to see the value that comes from both parties. Ad hominem seems to be the universal tool wielded by both sides. We all live in echo chambers built on the internet within social platforms. The only thing I see clearly is that I don't see things as clearly as I could lead myself to believe.
(October 20, 2019 at 11:58 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I didn't watch it because I don't speak Latin but I read the memes. I like the idea of removing the government because... corruption. But... then what? When I think, "what comes next?" it becomes apparent that the resulting power vacuum will just be filled by some other form of government. As long as people are near each other there will be government, we just need to figure out how to form one that will bring equanimity to the populace through the best disciplinary measures and economic distribution methods. I'm American so I'll speak about America. What I see now is society being separated into walled gardens where, if you meet the purity test, you will be allowed to flourish and speak your mind such that it conforms to the thoughts of the denizens within the walls. Dems and Repubs are at each others throats and seem unable to see the value that comes from both parties. Ad hominem seems to be the universal tool wielded by both sides. We all live in echo chambers built on the internet within social platforms. The only thing I see clearly is that I don't see things as clearly as I could lead myself to believe.

What makes you think another form of government would arise if we didn't have any government? A few centuries ago, quite a few people would believe another form of slavery would arise if we didn't have slavery.

(October 20, 2019 at 11:23 am)Athene Wrote: Why in Latin?

Well, like I've said in the description, many people say anarchists would stop being anarchists if they had some liberal arts education. Well, that's not true in my case. If I can speak Latin, I am very well educated in liberal arts, don't you think?
Quote:Well, like I've said in the description, many people say anarchists would stop being anarchists if they had some liberal arts education. Well, that's not true in my case. If I can speak Latin, I am very well educated in liberal arts, don't you think?

1.  I really, REALLY don't think that's an argument people make against anarchism.

2.  I'm really not clear about why you would try to make the case for anarchism in a language very few people understand.  Ok, so you can speak Latin.  Does that somehow make anarchism any less pointless and self-defeating?

Boru
(October 20, 2019 at 7:27 am)no one Wrote: Are you Johnny Rotten?

Never heard of him. Why?

(October 20, 2019 at 11:19 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:I've just posted a video about anarchism.

Why?

Boru
Why do people post stuff on YouTube in general? Because they want people to watch them, for whatever reason. Popular YouTubers generally do that to get some money from monetization or Patreon. But I think getting a credit card or PayPal or whatever systems can be used to make money out people watching my videos isn't worth it, since I get very few views for my YouTube videos right now. It's probably only worth if you are making YouTube videos on a regular basis.

(October 20, 2019 at 2:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Well, like I've said in the description, many people say anarchists would stop being anarchists if they had some liberal arts education. Well, that's not true in my case. If I can speak Latin, I am very well educated in liberal arts, don't you think?

1.  I really, REALLY don't think that's an argument people make against anarchism.

2.  I'm really not clear about why you would try to make the case for anarchism in a language very few people understand.  Ok, so you can speak Latin.  Does that somehow make anarchism any less pointless and self-defeating?

Boru

So, what is the argument people make against anarchism? The most common argument is, I guess, that the government prevents crime. I've tried to refute that argument in my video, along with a few other common arguments. And I've received that argument about how anarchists are simply people uneducated in social sciences and liberal arts, as far as I remember, two times on the Internet forums. So, yeah, some people do use that argument.
In answer to your question, "What makes you think another form of government would arise if we didn't have any government? A few centuries ago, quite a few people would believe another form of slavery would arise if we didn't have slavery."

Hmm, kind of a false equivalency. Slavery has a definition that is rather rigid involving the trafficking of people against their will. While government has a much more open definition of being the way people are managed through disciplinary practices and economic models. My point is that even if you could magic away the current government something would arise even it is was just basic tribal governance.

Thaq wants Ack's apple.
Thaq is bigger than Ack so Thaq takes Ack's apple.
Ack doesn't like that so Ack gets together with Gack to make sure they have enough force to prevent more apple stealing.
Poof the first whiff of government.
No, it isn't an airtight proof or anything just a rudimentary thought on how governments are formed. People bump into factors of production then protect them, or freely share them, whatever these are all distribution models and protecting those factors of production are disciplinary measures that must needs arise from the existence of egos and factors of production. 
What do you mean by anarchy?
Do you mean freedom from government?
How could the state of freedom from government be maintained?
If I missed the mark please elucidate (In English).
How would anarchy handle externalities from production?
How would anarchy prevent strong gangs (A form of government) from forming?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have made a new YouTube video about anarchism... FlatAssembler 18 1196 July 30, 2022 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1483 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 8045 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  George Carlin - The Only Prophet Who Made Accurate Predictions Minimalist 14 2034 December 24, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Trump boasting about his job creation made me think of this Won2blv 0 583 January 4, 2017 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  Fox News: you know you've made it when a head of state... JuliaL 8 2467 January 13, 2015 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: abaris
  This story made me cry. Brian37 12 4802 April 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Anarchism JefferyHale 100 18584 October 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  I made a mistake on Obama. goddamnit 7 2862 September 14, 2012 at 12:32 am
Last Post: Polaris
Brick Why is Anarchism mostly taken as a joke? Zaphod Beeblebrox 30 11988 July 3, 2012 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Darth