Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ
Simple question. What do you guys think about Jesus? Who was he? Did he exist? Was he the son of god? If not, why do people think he is? Id like to learn more about the historical evidence for jesus. so any sources would be appreciated. Thanks!
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
RE: Jesus Christ
He didn't do shit for me.

If he existed - he wasn't a deity.
If he was a carpenter - he wasn't a good one.
If he was a criminal - he got himself executed.
If he was famous - no one seemed to notice.
and If he sacrificed himself to himself --- he was an idiot.

As it turns out though -- he was a good timepiece. 2011 ... and still counting.

[Image: Evolution.png]

(July 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Simple question. What do you guys think about Jesus? Who was he? Did he exist? Was he the son of god? If not, why do people think he is? Id like to learn more about the historical evidence for jesus. so any sources would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are about 9 million other sites like this one that have had the same discussion.....it depends on weather you buy myth or historical?

(July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm)Mad Militant Wrote:
(July 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Simple question. What do you guys think about Jesus? Who was he? Did he exist? Was he the son of god? If not, why do people think he is? Id like to learn more about the historical evidence for jesus. so any sources would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are about 9 million other sites like this one that have had the same discussion.....it depends on weather you buy myth or historical?

ive been searching and its hard to find only historical evidence. thats all I want. all the historical evidence. also i just wanted to know how people on this site viewed the historical figure of jesus
(July 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm)Cinjin Wrote: He didn't do shit for me.

You're not trying hard enough! [Image: JesusOnToiletAvatar.jpg]
[Image: BlogSig.png][Image: sigimage.php?un=DaveD&t=182116&c1=7f5217...&c4=7f5217]
What do you guys think about Jesus? I don't think about him except when xtians come here sprinking jesus dust around.

Who was he? He wasn't.

Did he exist? No.

Was he the son of god? Of course not.

If not, why do people think he is? Because they're stupid.

Id like to learn more about the historical evidence for jesus. There isn't any historical evidence.
(July 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm)Cinjin Wrote: If he existed - he wasn't a deity.
If he was a carpenter - he wasn't a good one.
If he was a criminal - he got himself executed.
If he was famous - no one seemed to notice.
and If he sacrificed himself to himself --- he was an idiot.

As it turns out though -- he was a good timepiece. 2011 ... and still counting.

I couldn't have put it better.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote:
(July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm)Mad Militant Wrote:

ive been searching and its hard to find only historical evidence. thats all I want. all the historical evidence. also i just wanted to know how people on this site viewed the historical figure of jesus

According to Christian Authority the Gospels are suppose to be an historical account of his supposed life but they are far from it. A lot of people do not like this site but its the best I have found on why jesus did not exist http:www.jesusneverexisted.com do some digging around there for a while. If you want candy coated stories join a christian website.

(July 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: ive been searching and its hard to find only historical evidence. thats all I want. all the historical evidence. also i just wanted to know how people on this site viewed the historical figure of jesus

You remind me of myself when I first got involved in the freethought movement. I was curious about what the "real story" was. Before then, I was content to assume he was some cult leader deified by his followers, who insisted that he was sighted just as Elvis fans would do 2000 years later. Who knows, 2000 years from now, there may be a thing called Elvisianity, that tells myths about Elvis, his healing musical powers and how he died for all our sins.

So I started doing some digging to see what was said about Jesus outside the Bible but still within the same century (1st Century CE).

Short answer: Not much. Good luck ever knowing what the true story is, if there even is one to tell.

Long answer: A few scraps and oblique references.

Josephus: Testimonium Flavianum (a laughable forgery that has an orthodox Jew raving about how Jesus was the Christ).

Tacitus: His Annals, written in the 2nd century, contain an oblique reference to the founder of the Christian faith. He explains that they get their name from "Christos", which translates to "the anointed one". Jesus isn't mentioned by name. He relates that this "Christos" was crucified by Pilate. Whether he was passing on something the Christians told him is uncertain, since the reference is so brief. There is no mention of a resurrection or that he was sighted by his followers afterwords, a point that should have been of interest to a Roman lawyer and one who had a fascination with mythology to boot. This is the strongest piece of evidence that any Jesus ever existed. I'll turn it over to Min to provide more detail on why it's a shaky ground to base a belief that there's any truth to the story.

Bar Sarapion: in 70 CE, he mentions that the Jews killed a "wise king" and received no benefit. This "wise king" is never named.

Seutonius: Says in the 2nd century that a "Chrestus" (translates to "the good one") stirred up trouble for Claudius in Rome (circa 50 CE). Few Christians will use this as evidence because of both the date and the name.

The Talmud: There are no contemporary references in Jewish records of either a Jesus or a Paul. It's not until the 4th century that Christians can even claim there was a Jewish reference to Jesus. A verse in the Talmud states that a Yeshua was put to death after a trial for sorcery. Christians excitedly point to this as a reference to Jesus. Problem is that Yeshua was a common name, sorcery was a common charge, the trial lasted 40 days, the accused was connected with the government, and he had five disciples, none of whom were the 12 the Bible lists. This is not consistent with the Christian story.

Bottom line: If he existed, he wasn't noteworthy during the time he lived and nobody outside his circle even noticed him. Good luck ever knowing what the real story was, if there was one.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
ok thanks for the responses. and hey im new to all of this so if i say something u guys count as obvious im sorry. just trying to learn more.
Id also like to hear more about the tactius rederence since that one seems to be the strongest evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 1700 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 3997 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 7841 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3018 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3125 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1379 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3325 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2733 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2003 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you following Trump or Christ? Foxaèr 13 1819 June 29, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13