Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The BBC Finally Catches On!
The BBC Finally Catches On!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14251461

Quote:Doubts over authenticity of 'ancient Christian' books

Quote:The Holy Land is one of the homes of archaeology. Indeed for years, one of the main purposes of the science was to search for tangible evidence that would prove the truth of the stories of the Bible. And there has always been money in it too.

There are enough pieces of the "True Cross" in circulation to make a wooden aircraft carrier. And enough nails to put it together.

British taxpayers will wince at the thought that a king of England once paid 100,000 gold coins for the "real" crown of thorns from the New Testament.

A little slow but at least they are getting the hint.
RE: The BBC Finally Catches On!
Quote:British taxpayers will wince at the thought that a king of England once paid 100,000 gold coins for the "real" crown of thorns from the New Testament.

Indeed, AND during the crusades, Salah al Din had a piece of the true cross.The crusaders acquired it, believing it would make them invincible;it didn't.

During the middle ages other relics on offer included breast milk from the virgin Mary ,straw from Jesus manger and of course "The Spear of Longinus' or " Spear of Destiny" used to pierce the side of Jesus on the cross. There have been a few of those kicking around. The best known was allegedly owned by Adolf Hitler at one stage. I understand that over the centuries, that spear has had several new shafts and a couple of new blades

Oh, two churches in Italy have the head of John The Baptist. It's simple; one of it's heads is that of John as younger man.There's probaly another of him as an infant somewhere.

Really old Italian churches creepy.They all seem to have at least one body part of some obscure saint. Some have an entire rotting cadaver in a glass case. Yucchh!

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

For interest:

Quote:The Holy Lance (also known as the Spear of Destiny, Holy Spear, Lance of Longinus, Spear of Longinus or Spear of Christ) is the name given to the lance that pierced Jesus's side as he hung on the cross in John's account of the Crucifixion.

Quote:No actual lance is known until the pilgrim Antoninus of Piacenza (AD 570), describing the holy places of Jerusalem, says that he saw in the Basilica of Mount Zion "the crown of thorns with which Our Lord was crowned and the lance with which He was struck in the side".[2] A mention of the lance also occurs in the so-called Breviarius at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The presence in Jerusalem of the relic is attested by Cassiodorus (c. 485 - c. 585)[3][4] as well as by Gregory of Tours (c. 538 – 594), who had not actually been to Jerusalem.

Quote:Vienna Lance (Hofburg spear)
The Holy Lance in the Schatzkammer of Vienna
The inscription on the Holy Lance

The Holy Roman Emperors had a lance of their own, attested from the time of Otto I (912-973). In 1000 Otto III gave Boleslaw I of Poland a replica of the Lance at the Congress of Gniezno. In 1084 Henry IV had a silver band with the inscription "Nail of Our Lord" added to it. This was based on the belief that this was the lance of Constantine the Great which enshrined a nail used for the Crucifixion. In 1273 it was first used in the coronation ceremony. Around 1350 Charles IV had a golden sleeve put over the silver one, inscribed "Lancea et clavus Domini" (Lance and nail of the Lord). In 1424 Sigismund had a collection of relics, including the lance, moved from his capital in Prague to his birth place, Nuremberg, and decreed them to be kept there forever. This collection was called the Reichskleinodien or Imperial Regalia.

When the French Revolutionary army approached Nuremberg in the spring of 1796 the city councilors decided to remove the Reichskleinodien to Vienna for safe keeping. The collection was entrusted to one "Baron von Hügel", who promised to return the objects as soon as peace had been restored and the safety of the collection assured[citation needed]. However, the Holy Roman Empire was disbanded in 1806 and the Reichskleinodien remained in the keeping of the Habsburgs. When the city councilors asked for the Reichskleinodien back, they were refused. As part of the imperial regalia it was kept in the Imperial Treasury Schatzkammer (Vienna) and was known as the lance of Saint Maurice.

During the Anschluss, when Austria was annexed to Germany, the Reichskleinodien were returned to Nuremberg and afterwards hidden. They were found by invading U.S. troops and returned to Austria by American General George S. Patton after World War II.

In 615 Jerusalem and its relics were captured by the Persian forces of King Khosrau II (Chosroes II). According to the Chronicon Paschale, the point of the lance, which had been broken off, was given in the same year to Nicetas, who took it to Constantinople and deposited it in the church of Hagia Sophia, and later to the Church of the Virgin of the Pharos. This point of the lance, which was now set in an icon, was acquired by the Latin Emperor, Baldwin II of Constantinople, who later sold it to Louis IX of France. The point of the lance was then enshrined with the Crown of Thorns in the Sainte Chapelle in Paris. During the French Revolution these relics were removed to the Bibliothèque Nationale but subsequently disappeared.[5] (The present "Crown of Thorns" is a wreath of rushes.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_of_Longinus
The article in question discusses about certain Lead Codices that were 'discovered' recently, which there are serious doubts if they are authentic. Like the relics industry of the middle ages, there is an industry at the moment trying to create stuff, in order to pass them off as stuff from biblical times in order to make money for the most part.
undefined
There was a report by a scholar who has worked extensively in Jordan that one of the photos of the lead codices which was released was a copy of a tombstone which has been on display in the Amman museum since the early 1900's.

These are not only obvious forgeries but bad ones. Still, separating idiot xtians from their money has been a major industry in the ME since the 4th century and given the general stupidity level of xtians I don't see it stopping any time soon. It is the one thing that Jews and Arabs agree on!
(July 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14251461

Quote:Doubts over authenticity of 'ancient Christian' books

This article suffers from the lack of any direct quote mentioning "ancient Christian" books, as indicated by the headline. BBC fail. Good read otherwise.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
You'd have to have been following the whole Lead Codices saga, ETA. It's been going on for months now.

From last April.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...books.html

Coincidentally? ( or not ) shit like this seems to make headlines around easter and xmas.

Quote:Is this the first ever portrait of Jesus? The incredible story of 70 ancient books hidden in a cave for nearly 2,000 years
Or in this case, in late July.

I remember hearing about these and I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that they were fake. Good to know some backwards idiot is still spending his cash trying to prove otherwise. Keep up the good work.
I could almost make the argument for fabricating these relics to fleece the irrational as an ethical practice.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Found it!

http://danielomcclellan.wordpress.com/20...d-codices/

Quote:The text on your bronze tablet, therefore, makes no sense in its own right, but has been extracted unintelligently from another longer text (as if it were inscribed with the words: ‘t to be that is the question wheth’). The longer text from which it derives is a perfectly ordinary tombstone from Madaba in Jordan which happens to have been on display in the Amman museum for the past fifty years or so. The text on your bronze tablet is repeated, in part, in three different places, meaningless in each case.

The only possible explanation is that the text on the bronze tablet was copied directly from the inscription in the museum at Amman by someone who did not understand the meaning of the text of the inscription, but was simply looking for a plausible-looking sequence of Greek letters to copy. He copied that sequence three times, in each case mixing up the letters alpha and lambda.

This particular bronze tablet is, therefore, a modern forgery, produced in Jordan within the last fifty years. I would stake my career on it.

All good wishes,

Peter Thonemann”

Professor Thonemann is presently teaching at Oxford University.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SCIENCE FINALLY PROVES.... ronedee 149 7229 September 29, 2023 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Perhaps African Americans Are Finally Catching On Minimalist 81 11977 October 20, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  BBC's Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism Cyberman 5 1497 March 12, 2016 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Nimrod has finally returned (video) JesusIsGod7 9 1790 February 3, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  They Finally Got It Right....Because of a Bigot. Minimalist 9 3267 August 7, 2015 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Finally! The definitive list of sexual positions which will sentence you to Hell! Jacob(smooth) 31 9416 February 19, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Ken Ham is finally good for something! Esquilax 27 3369 July 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  A story on the bbc featuring some british christians. downbeatplumb 15 5250 January 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: John V
  Cardinal Brady "apologises" to abuse victim after BBC exposure Cyberman 33 11210 May 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: everythingafter
  Finally the TRUE answer to why we have so many religions! reverendjeremiah 26 11910 February 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger