Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only in America
Only in America
So I thought we Americans could use a thread to vent and spread the pain we endure due to the religious culture. You atheists in less religious countries have no idea some of the ridiculous shit we have to put up with, and I thought this would be a good way for us to vent while giving you some laughs.

The thought came to me when I saw a sticker on a car yesterday. For this of you non-Americans I have to give you a bit of background information for you to understand the stupidity of this. People here place stickers their cars with crudely drawn versions of Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes performing lewd acts that give commentary on the owner's beliefs. The most common ones are Calvin pissing on something they don't like, and most often it is a symbol representing a particular motor vehicle manufacturer they dislike. They are extremely classless and tacky, and if you see one, you can be guaranteed a stupid redneck owns that car.

I just saw one, however, that was Calvin bowing in front of a cross. Why anyone would want to display their religion with something that is synonymous with tastelessness and stupidity is beyond me, and they would have been better off with a sign that said, 'crass, ignorant waste of good oxygen driving this vehicle.'

Anyways, that is my American rant for the day, and everyone feel free to add stupid shit that only comes with 50 stars and 13 stripes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Only in America
I saw a video yesterday of Rick Perry at The Response. Only in America could you have a high ranking public official effectively conducting a rain dance in the 21st century.
I take it you mean this one:

[Image: bullshit.jpg]
Imo in a lot of ways the USA is already a second world country, it would not take much for the USA to be officially seen as one by the rest of the world.
undefined
(August 17, 2011 at 6:52 am)Justtristo Wrote: Imo in a lot of ways the USA is already a second world country, it would not take much for the USA to be officially seen as one by the rest of the world.

Many of your people may be retards but there's still plenty of clever ones. I think.
(August 17, 2011 at 6:56 am)Napoleon Wrote:
(August 17, 2011 at 6:52 am)Justtristo Wrote: Imo in a lot of ways the USA is already a second world country, it would not take much for the USA to be officially seen as one by the rest of the world.

Many of your people may be retards but there's still plenty of clever ones. I think.

I am an Australian not an American.

undefined
(August 17, 2011 at 6:42 am)Tiberius Wrote: I take it you mean this one:

That's pretty much it, apart from some minor differences.
(August 17, 2011 at 6:56 am)Napoleon Wrote: Many of your people may be retards but there's still plenty of clever ones. I think.

Yeah, there are plenty of smart and sane people here. Unfortunately, they're are way more stupid people, and they're the ones that make the most noise.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Propaganda has its effect too. In addition to smart and stupid people, there are the potentially-smart-but-too-intellectually-lazy-to-fact-check-their-favorite-sources-of-information. I've posted before that it's not just Fox Noise and Right-Wing-Talk-Radio but also the corporate controlled media here.

The combined force of the stupid and lazy will usually outnumber the smart and vigilant in a society. Our problem is that the former are organized in ways they usually aren't.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
DeistPaladin Wrote:In addition to smart and stupid people, there are the potentially-smart-but-too-intellectually-lazy-to-fact-check-their-favorite-sources-of-information.

This would be my in-laws. All they do is watch Fox News and assume it's all true, but the more I learn about them through political discussions, I wonder if the bullshit was scraped away from their news source if they would still be aligned politically in the same place.
Faith, they already believed that sort of shit was true before Fox News came to be. Pandering to a demographic. Without Fox they would be exactly who they are, just different talking points.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2839 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 24 2764 October 23, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 1 498 October 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  America’s Changing Religious Landscape. Jehanne 14 3262 January 29, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7435 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
Question Does detector LIGO work on freewill only? theBorg 49 6492 September 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1948 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is the ''Only a minority of Muslims are radical'' true? TheMessiah 77 19366 June 17, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1637 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  So..... Not Only God but a Court Says "FUCK YOU." Minimalist 53 10496 March 12, 2015 at 3:46 am
Last Post: robvalue