Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rev. Pat Robertson not praying right
Rev. Pat Robertson not praying right

Back in 1989, when I was in the Navy and stationed in Virginia Beach (living in the resort strip near the Edgar Cayce Foundation), Hurricane Hugo was predicted to make a direct strike on Virginia Beach.

Rev. Pat Robertson and his folk at CBN University in Va Beach made a big deal out of praying to God to spare Va Beach (and presumably his broadcast network).

He then took all the credit when the storm veered at the last and went into Charleston, So. Car. Of course, Robertson chalked it up to the power of prayer (essentially claiming credit for his god's work). I'm not sure how all the Christian-living people in Charleston felt about it though.

While he was praying, at Naval Air Station Oceana we were doing more practical things like flying all our aircraft out.

He must not be living right this week. First the earthquake in Richmond, now Hurricane Irene is bearing down on Virginia Beach (now Virginia's largest city). CBN and Robertson are still there, still hoping the power of prayer will somehow blow Irene away from the city.

Meanwhile, the mayor of Va. Beach ordered all tourists out of the city yesterday (Virginia Beach has the longest stretch of publicly accessible beaches in the USA, ninety miles), and residents will be leaving today. The Second Fleet (all of it) took on emergency relief stores and headed out to sea to both ride out the hurricane, and to be pre-positioned to provide support to coastal cities.

I wonder who is accomplishing more, Va Beach's mayor and the Navy, or Rev. Robertson? And will CBN disappear from cable and satellite networks come Saturday? (Crossing fingers - his organisation was the one that picketed my house when I ran up my Wiccan bulletin board service on my Commodore 64).

James

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3542 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5499 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  These atheists are right, no, it is not trolling. Brian37 11 2900 March 19, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Pat Robertson: non-religious children should be beaten drfuzzy 35 10287 September 7, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Discount for Praying? Minimalist 26 3811 August 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Even Pat Robertson thinks YEC's are morons! SteelCurtain 10 2641 May 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Pat Robertson - still a Dumbfuck Minimalist 6 2148 March 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pat Robertson implores creationist Ken Ham to shut up Gooders1002 24 4442 February 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Someone pinch me. I actually agree with Pat Robertson. TaraJo 2 1324 March 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Pat Robertson says it's ok to ignore parts of the Bible. Ziploc Surprise 126 50235 July 16, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise