Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There's Hope For America Yet!
There's Hope For America Yet!
There’s A New Power In America
Atheism
The faithless are a growing force as the churches duck the challenges of the age
Andrew Sullivan

Quote:There is one thing that is not allowed in American national politics – and that is atheism. “In God We Trust” is on the currency; and the number of congressional members who avow no faith at all are about as plentiful as those who are openly gay (none in the Senate; five in the House).

Under the last president, religious faith – evangelical Christianity or Benedict-style Catholicism – was a prerequisite for real access to the inner circle. But the requirement is not just Republican. Among the more excruciating campaign events of last year was a faith summit for the Democrats in which candidates vied with one another to express the most piety. Barack Obama’s Christianity – educated, nuanced, social – is in many ways more striking than that of, say, Nixon, Truman or Eisenhower.

Americans are losing faith, though; and those who have it are moving out of established churches. The nonreligious are now the third biggest grouping in the US, after Catholics and Baptists, according to the just-released American Religious Identification Survey. The bulk of this shift occurred in the 1990s, when they jumped from 8% to 14% of the population – but they have consolidated in the past decade to 15%.

As elsewhere in the West, mainline Protestantism has had the biggest drop – from 19% to 13%. Despite heavy Latino immigration, the proportion of Catholics has drifted down since 1990, and their numbers have shifted dramatically from the northeast and the rust belt to the south and west. Take South Carolina, a state you might associate with hardcore Protestant evangelicalism. It certainly does exist there – but in that southern state, the percentage of Catholics has almost doubled since 1990 and the percentage of atheists has tripled.

America, it turns out, is a more complicated spiritual place than the stereotypes might imply. Islam is still tiny – and integrated and largely successful. Catholicism, while buoyant among new Hispanic immigrants (who are, nonetheless, drifting rapidly towards evangelicalism in the southern hemisphere whence they came), has plummeted in its heartland. Think of Massachusetts, the home of the Irish and Italian and Portuguese. In 1990, Catholics accounted for 54% of all residents of the Kennedys’ state. That’s now 39%.

[Read The Rest Of The Article]

It would be a refreshing change Devil

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: There's Hope For America Yet!
oooh, I heard something about this on the nightly news the other night. It made me smile!
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
Worship
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
This is the type of world I dream of. It is about time that mankind became more intelligent.
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins Thinking
[Image: 9jeh6q.png]
[Image: 16kvqqp.png]
Haha! Finally! This is pretty exciting!

Now we just need to change the money and the pledge and we will be set!

Big Grin
"We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation, we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

-President Barack Obama
Or change the money and abolish the pledge! Even better Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am stunned religion hasn't been abolished yet Agnostic1 50 3245 December 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1250 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9499 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 11238 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  America’s Changing Religious Landscape. Jehanne 14 3261 January 29, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jesus the Jew, yet non-Jew Foxaèr 21 3547 January 19, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheists, Do You Hope You are Right? Neo-Scholastic 52 8924 October 15, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Hmmm?
  Could this be the worst argument for a deity yet? ReptilianPeon 15 5155 July 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion vs. Disbelief: No Hope. Why bother? LivingNumbers6.626 11 2931 December 10, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  We Can Hope He's Right.... Minimalist 14 2248 November 5, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: vorlon13