Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 7:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help four year old Sophie fight cancer!
Help four year old Sophie fight cancer!
Today I got the sad news that one of my coworkers had turned in his letter of resignation to go down to San Diego.

Because his four year old niece has cancer (rather severe form) and the insurance company has begun balking at helping pay for her care.

To deal with the burden, her mother has dropped her job to better manage this tragedy and give her only child the emotional support to endure cancer treatment.
REF: http://www.swrnn.com/2011/09/05/former-t...ht-cancer/

However, even then, financial support seems far on the horizon.

With our help, we can push them a bit closer to their goal of treating Sophie's cancer.

If you wish, you may donate (every little bit helps) to her cancer treatment fund: http://www.microgiving.com/profile/colleen8668

I've made my contribution.

EDIT: The time to live for this sticky will be ~2 weeks. Then it will be unstickied and free to float off into the morass.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Help four year old Sophie fight cancer!
A good cause if I ever saw it, if there's a break in my battle with poverty I'll remember this. My sympathies to the girl and her family.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I will start getting money next week.

I feel like it is only right to contribute.
Cunt
That sad new appalls me,as does the attitude of many Americans who think their health system is just dandy.

That could not happen here on two levels:The child would receive any treatment and medication she needed through our universal health system; free. Our universal health system is financed by a 2.5% income tax levy,with exemptions for low income earners.

Here, a private health insurer may not refuse anyone cover and rates are government controlled. They are allowed to impose a 2 year waiting period for existing conditions. After that, there is no limit to care and an insurance company may not refuse to pay. I think the power of the US HBOs is corrupt and unconscionable.

I have full private health coverage. The government subsidises my premiums 30%. I pay $120 a month.It's double for family coverage,which includes all children under 17 years.
Feel free to keep it sticky for the duration of the donation campaign, even if one person after two weeks notices and donates because of that it's well worth it.

I'll be sure to put some money through when I'm next paid.
Here in TN we have a wonderful hospital called St. Jude's. It's in Memphis. They never charge for treatment, and they even have places for people to stay- free of charge, while the child is undergoing treatment. I will be glad to donate something, but payday isn't till Friday.

(September 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Today I got the sad news that one of my coworkers had turned in his letter of resignation to go down to San Diego.

Because his four year old niece has cancer (rather severe form) and the insurance company has begun balking at helping pay for her care.

To deal with the burden, her mother has dropped her job to better manage this tragedy and give her only child the emotional support to endure cancer treatment.
REF: http://www.swrnn.com/2011/09/05/former-t...ht-cancer/

However, even then, financial support seems far on the horizon.

With our help, we can push them a bit closer to their goal of treating Sophie's cancer.

If you wish, you may donate (every little bit helps) to her cancer treatment fund: http://www.microgiving.com/profile/colleen8668

I've made my contribution.

EDIT: The time to live for this sticky will be ~2 weeks. Then it will be unstickied and free to float off into the morass.
The insurance company is not going to cover her costs? It really defeats the purpose of paying such a company.

Quote:The insurance company is not going to cover her costs? It really defeats the purpose of paying such a company.

The "invisible hand of the market" grasps people by the throat and squeezes!
(October 2, 2011 at 11:22 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The insurance company is not going to cover her costs? It really defeats the purpose of paying such a company.

The "invisible hand of the market" grasps people by the throat and squeezes!
These companies are inhuman. Why would anyone even pay these people if they do not offer services in times of dire need?
Update:
Quote:Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone again for their support and kindness regarding my niece Sophie and the generous donation given in behalf of [redacted] and the generous individual donations of many of the employees and the friends that they forwarded the link to, and therefore wanted to give an update on her condition. She is responding well to the chemotherapy and the nodules in her lung and massive tumor on her ribs is shrinking. Unfortunately, she has been in the hospital almost the entire time because of high fever, which brings up fears of viral and/or bacterial infection. In about a couple of months, they will be cutting out several of her ribs that have the cancer, and if any nodules remain in her lungs (currently there are two 1 centimeter nodules they do not think that the chemo will destroy completely), they will also cut out those affected areas of her lungs. With any luck, this will be the end of it, but this type of cancer is eighty percent likely to reoccur. We are hoping that her genetically passed Irish luck will get her past these odds but these odds strain even Irish luck. I am including a link to the latest article about Sophie and a fundraiser for her, and if any of you happen to be in southern California at this time, I look forward to seeing you there.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/murrieta/sto...69e2c.html

This was forwarded to our company listserv.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star HAPPY NEW YEAR Nay_Sayer 16 1404 7 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 696 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Happy New Year!! Jehanne 16 867 January 1, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2394 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Happy New Year? zebo-the-fat 28 2329 January 2, 2021 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2658 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  HAPPY NEW YEAR ! WinterHold 4 691 January 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Happy New Year!! Jehanne 16 1180 January 2, 2019 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Godscreated
Star Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! pocaracas 21 4218 December 26, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1883 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball