Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intelligence is a Curse
Intelligence is a Curse
Last night I had a very passionate religious debate with a Christian. She was, of course, a creationist, who argued when I showed her clear evidence of evolution etc, that she could no longer look at the evidence because it would anger Jesus.

She went on to claim that being an intelligent person is a "curse".

Is this where we are, Christians? Really? I seriously want to know if other Christians think that being an intelligent person, who values evidence and facts over a book that was written when men still thought the sun revolved around the earth is cursed. If so, who cursed us? Why?

This is not the first time I've heard this from a Christian, but they've never been able to answer my questions that follow. She tried to answer by saying that being intelligent is a curse because it turns us away from the bible/lord, but if I am a creation of god, why did he create me to be intelligent? Why didn't he make me stupid? Also, by saying this, is it not saying that Christians are stupid? That's what it sounds like to me.

RE: Intelligence is a Curse
Her assesment of the situation was correct. To look at your evidence any longer would have angered jesus. That's because jesus is the name she's given to various parts of her own psyche. Your friend has obviously over-thought something to the point at which she experienced pain, or experiences pain when she realizes that those around her have more complicated thoughts than her own.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Wow. That's deep.

Quote:She went on to claim that being an intelligent person is a "curse".

Obviously something about which your friend need not ever worry.

I think she maybe confusing 'intellect' with 'introspection' and 'intellectual depth'. Most dogmatic theists and more than a few atheists I meet are bright enough,but have the depth of a petrie dish,questioning nothing.

The saying is "if ignorance is bliss t'is folly to be wise". Not a claim I've observed to hold any truth as a principle. I mean, have you actually WATCHED Jerry Springer, or Oprah? Thinking
(September 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Wow. That's deep.

That's what she said.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Goddammit Rhythm.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Goddammit Rhythm.

that's what sh....nvm.

Being an intelligent atheist can be a curse in the sense that allows you to understand the insignificance of your place in the universe which forces you to find our own purpose in life. Theists get to take the easy way out with the belief that an all-powerful super-being has their best interests at heart and stupid atheists just don't give a damn.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:She went on to claim that being an intelligent person is a "curse".

She's an asshole, Alei. Lot of that in religion.
(September 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(September 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Wow. That's deep.

That's what she said.

Your mom says a LOT of stuff Rhythm?

Just playin Tongue, I wouldn't want you butt hurt?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women. God’s afterthought and man’s curse to rule. Greatest I am 4 3541 September 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am