Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanism
Thumbs Down 
Humanism
Would like people's opinions on types of humanism

Particularly:

Humanist Jews
Humanist Christians
Humanist Muslims

Etc.
RE: Humanism
What sorts of opinions, my sweet?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Humanism is what made me go insane...
Cunt
Ok.

Why would you be a h-Jew/Christian etc.

Particularly you summer.

Advantages/ disadvantages

Why follow that particular religion etc.
Because the way it was explained to me was that it was Judaism - an appreciation for our culture and history - that rejected the supernatural elements.

why someone would follow such a thing? Fuck knows.

It doesn't make sense to me.

I wasn't even aware that it existed, but I had to look up humanist christian... Crazy assholes.
(September 20, 2011 at 11:22 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Because the way it was explained to me was that it was Judaism - an appreciation for our culture and history - that rejected the supernatural elements.

So, not Judaism then?
Cunt
One can admire the stories as a part of our collective human experience, full of cultural heritage (real, wished for, or fabricated whole cloth), without swallowing the kool-aid.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was raised a Jew - the culture inevitably influences the way I think in a knee-jerk way. There are concepts from other religions and cultures that I find hard to wrap my head around because of this.

But in good conscience I couldn't call myself a plain Jew because I finally gave into the fact that I didn't believe in an old man in the sky watching everything we did. I don't remember who introduced me to the humanistic side of Judaism - it was something in passing, but humanism aligns nicely with my values and "beliefs," as it were.

http://www.shj.org/

I come from a group of people who've been shit on (and oftentimes chose to be shit on) for a damn long time, who drive themselves insane with the number of rules they try to follow and then sneakily try to get around in these modern days, whose sense of humor is unparalleled thanks to a deep and abiding love of the irony in the world. Despite what you hear about the fucknuts Chasidim, who are struggling against what they know is a fast-slipping tide into secularism, the emphasis Jewish parents place on their children about learning is something I'm grateful for. They're a group of survivors - sadness is always around the corner, but kvetching helps chase away at least some of the darkness.

Confusedhrugs:

Besides, our fearless leader never lets me forget that he wants to put me in his oven and turn me into cookies. Wink
thank you for your input summerqueen.
I had no idea there were humanistic Christians though - most Christians don't have rituals and things to hold onto, do they?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25913 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
Heart Humanism shadow 10 2628 March 14, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Humanism Kingpin 29 4815 August 27, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Humanism as I see it xpastor 7 2211 January 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: xpastor
  Heartless Humanism? mralstoner 3 2639 January 2, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Is Atheistic Humanism the ideology of the Anglo-Sphere? theyear12013 14 5501 January 2, 2014 at 1:30 am
Last Post: theyear12013
  I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is pop_punks_not_dead 7 3531 February 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies TheReal 110 31312 December 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: JollyForr
  Humanism [Split] theVOID 10 4088 December 18, 2010 at 6:56 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen