Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baptising children, right or wrong?
Baptising children, right or wrong?
I personally think it's wrong to baptise a child. I think it's a decission that children it self should make when it's older. Perhaps around 15-18, not before that.

I have been baptised, something I wouldnt be if I hade the oppertunity to decide that by myself. It doesnt really matter that I have been batised. I don't care about it since it doesn't mean anything to me. But it's the principle that bothers me.

Wonder what you guys think? Batising children, right or wrong?
RE: Baptising children, right or wrong?
(March 26, 2009 at 8:41 am)Giff Wrote: I personally think it's wrong to baptise a child. I think it's a decission that children it self should make when it's older. Perhaps around 15-18, not before that.

I agree, I would make it when they are able to vote so in the UK 18.

(March 26, 2009 at 8:41 am)Giff Wrote: I have been baptised, something I wouldnt be if I hade the oppertunity to decide that by myself. It doesnt really matter that I have been batised. I don't care about it since it doesn't mean anything to me. But it's the principle that bothers me.

It means something to me, it means I am still a Catholic in the sense of being "on their books" ... I deeply resent that and have made (so far) one attempt to be excommunicated.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote:It means something to me, it means I am still a Catholic in the sense of being "on their books" ... I deeply resent that and have made (so far) one attempt to be excommunicated.

Its probably diffrent since in chatolism you both get baptised and confirmated all in once.

I didn't get confirmated and I also got out of the swedish church which is really easy to do. Glad that I atleast had that oppertunity
Baptism is given meaning so you should need to be an adult first...

But I personally see the whole thing as meaningless nonsense and nothing to worry about...

Its a shame so many people think that having water tipped over your head and being 'blessed' makes a difference...

The difference it makes is only due to the fact that people THINK that it makes a difference - its the meaning its given - in reality its just some water being tipped over your head and a few words!!

Really there is no reason to give meaning to it...but people do.

EvF
I actually disagree with the original poster on this one, surprisingly enough.

Heres why, I beleive that the parents should be able to raise their children in the way of their choice. Provided it is not abusive of course. The baptisim does not commit the child for them, honestly it's not really different from a birthday celebration. I will state though, that I know only a little about baptisim so, if you have a strong argument for Baptisim being universally abusive then I'd love to hear it.

It's my stance that the best way to eliminate religion, is through education, not the removal of rights. Parents should have the right to raise their children in any way they wish but, they should be educated so that they know the difference between what is accepted as right and wrong in modern society. Will be be people who abuse their rights? No shit, of course there will be but, that's a completely seperate thing you are NOT going to stop by taking away those rights. Just look how software piracy prevention seems to be causing more people to pirate software (I can't state statistics, only speaking from experience of the people I know and talk too).

Thus, it isn't wrong in itself, the parents honestly beleive that they are raising the child the best way possible, and I don't think it falls into the realm of abuse.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(March 26, 2009 at 9:20 am)Demonaura Wrote: Heres why, I beleive that the parents should be able to raise their children in the way of their choice. Provided it is not abusive of course. The baptisim does not commit the child for them, honestly it's not really different from a birthday celebration. I will state though, that I know only a little about baptisim so, if you have a strong argument for Baptisim being universally abusive then I'd love to hear it.

Not abusive as such no but I do feel my "rights" were abused by being baptised at a point in my life where I was unable to make an informed decision.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

My record as a member of the Roman Catholic Church has been expunged from the books after an official letter to the Bishop. This is not because I am "deeply offended" or "angry atheist" but because I don't think it is fair for the church to collect a subsidy based on it's total amount of members when so many do not or no longer believe in the teachings of that church and never attend. I wouldn't want the local Judo club get a subsidy for having my name in their records just because I used to be a member of that club (which was also my parents idea).
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(March 26, 2009 at 8:41 am)Giff Wrote: I personally think it's wrong to baptise a child. I think it's a decission that children it self should make when it's older. Perhaps around 15-18, not before that.

I have been baptised, something I wouldnt be if I hade the oppertunity to decide that by myself. It doesnt really matter that I have been batised. I don't care about it since it doesn't mean anything to me. But it's the principle that bothers me.

Wonder what you guys think? Batising children, right or wrong?

Surprise, surprise I think it's wrong.
Wonder if the modernising church types would bring in something like having the infant back again at a later adult age to be de-baptised?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(March 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: This is not because I am "deeply offended" or "angry atheist" but because I don't think it is fair for the church to collect a subsidy based on it's total amount of members when so many do not or no longer believe in the teachings of that church and never attend.

What? They get a subsidy on us?

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Stop me if I'm wrong, I beleive this is something from the Church of England? They are integrated with the country so, they get funding based on membership, and everyone is defaultly a member until they sign papers saying otherwise.

It's not something I've had to deal with thankfully so, I don't have the whole story.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 630 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 623 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1524 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1404 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1113 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1700 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the wrong tract............ Brian37 28 4842 December 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4928 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 44006 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3372 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3