Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama judge says "jail or church?"
Alabama judge says "jail or church?"
Do you think this bible-thumping judge will provide atheists any jail options?

RE: Alabama judge says "jail or church?"
Have some written rag:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/2...0680.shtml
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Madness strikes again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Interesting...
I'm unsure how exactly they imagine church is going to help.

Wait, I get it! The offender will get molested by a priest, and that'll be the punishment!
I would have overwhelmingly chosen jail until I read this...

Quote:If the one-year church attendance program is completed, the offender's case will be dismissed.

If you go to church, the case will be dismissed entirely. That is a tough call.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Hah! I'd go to church too - but I don't think the pastor would appreciate my commentary.
(September 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I would have overwhelmingly chosen jail until I read this...

Quote:If the one-year church attendance program is completed, the offender's case will be dismissed.

If you go to church, the case will be dismissed entirely. That is a tough call.

Bring ear plugs. Or an ipod, some kind of mp3 player.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Erm,,isn't that, umm, "unconstitutional"?

Make an interesting court case.Fucking crackers.

(September 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: Interesting...
I'm unsure how exactly they imagine church is going to help.

Wait, I get it! The offender will get molested by a priest, and that'll be the punishment!

I don't think that this program applies for juvenile offenders.

I'm just waiting to see this program ruled unconstitutional. I mean, I can appreciate the gesture of people trying to rehabilitate criminals, but Church? I don't know who originally said it, but I think I've read somebody saying that "becoming a Christian doesn't make you a different person; it just makes you more of the same person you already were." If Anybody who has also heard this should give me an attribution, I will be eternally grateful.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I would need some clarification on what the actual choice is!
The clip says the choice is jail plus a fine ( TIME IN JAIL NOT SPECIFIED ) or 1 YEAR in church.
I would want to know the fine and the time in jail....if I could pay the fine and the jail term was short, I'd choose that over grovelling in church for a year!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3386 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2774 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3200 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14388 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1233 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Sam Harris (an atheist) says that God is possible/inevitable ThoughtCurvature 12 3017 September 5, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  This Judge Needs To Be Impeached Minimalist 15 2927 April 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So a theist says this dyresand 4 2083 September 20, 2015 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Famed biologist says religion ‘is dragging us down’ and must be eliminated Mudhammam 24 5582 February 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  UK says atheists more moral than theists robvalue 21 4828 January 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: robvalue