Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phrases that annoy you
Phrases that annoy you
Ok, since I'm new here, I hope this is the right location to post such a topic. if not, feel free to delete it or move it as I won't get upset!! Wink

Often, certain religious phrases annoy me. I can think of a thousand! I thought it would be interesting to see which ones annoy others.

Mine is related to if a person is sick. The religious folks pray for the person. If the person gets better then "it was the power of prayer." If the person dies, then "it was God's will." Ok... so no matter what, God was involved? Gimme a break!

Ok, vent over! Tongue
RE: Phrases that annoy you
"I'll pray for you to....[insert inane activity here]. Like I was trying to get a mortgage and mentioned to a fellow public housing tenant my hopes .."Oh I'll pray for you" and I'm thinking 'please don't it won't help but hey whatever' Needless to say I didn't get the mortgage "Oh it's god will there He has something better in mind for you"...yeah bit like yours Heather but AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Banging Head On Desk

The other one is being called "my brother or (in my case) my sister..... I'd like to say "yep I'm the sibling that has the knife that will soon be sticking out your back"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"Peace be with you."

I think that one is from the Catholics.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 26, 2011 at 9:05 am)Faith No More Wrote: "Peace be with you."

Yes! That one is funny as I went to a Catholic church a few times and this phrase was said at one point during the Catholic mass. Everyone stands up and turns to the people around them, and shakes their hands. For the longest time, I thought the people were saying "pleased to meet you." Years later, I was told it was "peace be with you." ROFLOL

Could care less, all that tells me is that you do in fact care a least a little bit, the only care position 'could care less' excludes is the position of not caring whatsoever, which is the exactly what you are trying to tell me.

'Family values'. What they mean is 'homophobic bigotry'.

"In Jesus' name!" (Whilst doing/advocating for something that biblical Jesus says is wrong. Wonderful, not only are they a moron but they haven't read their own dam book (Or they are lying through their teeth(As opposed to through their nose or out their anus)))
Using the word literally as emphasis, and not to mean 'in the literal sense'.

"He's literally the size of a house!". This is untrue, unless it's a tiny house. He may be a very large man, but he is not LITERALLY the size of a house. It's just one that really gets me.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
(September 26, 2011 at 9:28 am)BloodyHeretic Wrote: Using the word literally as emphasis, and not to mean 'in the literal sense'.

"He's literally the size of a house!". This is untrue, unless it's a tiny house. He may be a very large man, but he is not LITERALLY the size of a house. It's just one that really gets me.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally
teehee

(September 26, 2011 at 9:12 am)Heather Wrote:
(September 26, 2011 at 9:05 am)Faith No More Wrote: "Peace be with you."

Yes! That one is funny as I went to a Catholic church a few times and this phrase was said at one point during the Catholic mass. Everyone stands up and turns to the people around them, and shakes their hands. For the longest time, I thought the people were saying "pleased to meet you." Years later, I was told it was "peace be with you." ROFLOL

At one mass I was forced to go to, the congregation would turn to each other and say 'Peace be with you.' So this lady turns to me and says it. I hesitated a bit thinking and then said, "Burrito." As she sat down she could be heard quietly saying, "That poor boy has lost his faith."

Jokes on her though, cause I never had any in the first place.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"We know that God [insert drivel here]" Bullshit, we know no such thing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
'I know where you're coming from, I used to be an atheist'
'I just have faith'
'You've got to read that passage about beating your slave IN CONTEXT'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best way to annoy a theist Dystopia 21 5835 July 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Some Christian Guys Annoy Me, A LOT. Handprint 20 5284 October 30, 2011 at 11:02 am
Last Post: ElDinero