Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend me a US city
Recommend me a US city
Well, i want to come over to the US of A next summer, it'll likely be for a max of 7 nights, but more likely nights.

I like:

Drinking
Eating
Partying
History (big thing)
Nice people

sell me a city.
RE: Recommend me a US city
(October 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Well, i want to come over to the US of A next summer, it'll likely be for a max of 7 nights, but more likely nights.

I like:

Drinking
Eating
Partying
History (big thing)
Nice people

sell me a city.
L.A.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
LA my balls. Don't listen to him. He's not even old enough to drink, and hasn't even STARTED partying properly yet. Big Grin

Drinking: Austin
Eating: Austin
Partying: Austin
History: Austin (State Capital of Texas)
People: AUSTIN, AUSTIN, a million times AUSTIN

And I'd be happy to put you in touch with the people I know there. You go to Austin. Honestly, I spent 7 nights there and didn't stop partying, and met a bucketload of people who I'm still in touch with. I didn't want to leave at all.
(October 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm)ElDinero Wrote: LA my balls. Don't listen to him. He's not even old enough to drink, and hasn't even STARTED partying properly yet. Big Grin

Drinking: Austin
Eating: Austin
Partying: Austin
History: Austin (State Capital of Texas)
People: AUSTIN, AUSTIN, a million times AUSTIN

And I'd be happy to put you in touch with the people I know there. You go to Austin. Honestly, I spent 7 nights there and didn't stop partying, and met a bucketload of people who I'm still in touch with. I didn't want to leave at all.

He's gonna hold being underage over me forever. Dodgy
(October 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: L.A.

If L.A. weren't overrun with self-absorbed egotistical assholes, I might agree with you.

In my neck of the woods, I'd recommend Portland or Seattle. Hope you like rain. There's probably better choices, but I haven't travelled extensively except for the west coast.

Besides that, New Orleans would certainly make my short list - it's got all 5 of your bullet items in quantity.

(October 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: He's gonna hold being underage over me forever. Dodgy

I'm gonna hold on to you recommending L.A. even longer.

Wink Shades

So far, all wrong.

If you want history with all of those other great things, Boston or Washington, D.C. is where you want to go. History in L.A.? Hardly.
Sheesh! See if I ever help anyone again!
As a sedentary, teetotaling, picky eater, I may not be qualified to talk so much from my first-hand experiences, but here's what I can gather about Chicago, which I have lived near for my entire life, and where which I'm currently taking classes at Columbia.

Drinking- On every block, there's either a bar or a liquor store, often times, both. In the 3-block area between my subway stop and where my classes are, there are four bars and a liquor store/bartending school.
Eating- You get all kinds of cuisine at Taste of Chicago, which is the largest food fair on Earth; even on the other 355 days of the year, there's all kinds of cuisine; When it comes to local food, there's three major food groups: Chicago-style hot dog (with everything, but no ketchup; putting ketchup on your dog can get very hazardous for your health here in the same way that making fun of O-Ren Ishii's heritage is for those who dare in Kill Bill), Chicago-style pizza (thin crust, stuffed crust, deep dish); Italian beef. If you're the kind of person who thinks that vegetables can take the place of meat, they've got restaurants for you, too, including one right near Wrigley Field that my mum loves but I hate with a passion.
Partying- Well, let me put it this way, Raving would be very different without the influence of the Chicago club scene (it pretty much invented house music.)
History- Holy hell, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it and it's nowhere near complete.
Nice People-Well, it's a large city; if you want a place where people are nice, go to a small town.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: He's gonna hold being underage over me forever. Dodgy

Haha, not at all. I'd recommend Austin to anyone. You should go there for your 21st, it is the ULTIMATE party town.
(October 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Sheesh! See if I ever help anyone again!

If by "helping," you mean suggesting L.A. to someone who said history was a big deal, then it might be a good idea to lay off the helping. Smile

I've been to more states than I have not been to and history is my thing. I suppose you have to state what kind of history you are looking for, though. Every city has history. I mention Boston because the history is impossible to miss there. You could spend weeks just going to historical places. I mention D.C. because the history is also palpable and quite important. However, if you're looking for Civil War history, it is in Boston, but rare. If you're looking for Native American history, D.C. has museums, but you won't find a pow-wow. You see what I mean? If you post something more specific, I bet I could make a good recommendation. I've been to every state on the east coast, two on the west and many in-between. If you count airports, there are only roughly 10 states I haven't been to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack. Jehanne 50 2686 January 12, 2023 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 623 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How would you recommend one go down a few pant sizes NuclearEnergy 22 2020 February 27, 2017 at 10:17 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Town or City for you? Foxaèr 47 4712 October 4, 2015 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can you recommend any ultra lite travel trailers? Whateverist 24 2921 September 9, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  The most ridiculous city names in the US rado84 47 8524 July 16, 2015 at 1:19 am
Last Post: c172
  First experience in the big city.. Drich 21 3167 October 17, 2014 at 10:44 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  The city of Shanghai 23 years ago and now CleanShavenJesus 4 1703 August 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Conspiracy theory: Empire of the City? Napoléon 6 2348 July 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Vienna now the second largest German city. Something completely different 8 2721 July 21, 2013 at 6:08 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet