Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals and patterns. Humans and...?
Animals and patterns. Humans and...?
As we all perhaps now do animals, or atleast most animals, not see patterns. Like a footprint or what's potraited on a painting.

So I wonder, what if there was something that humans couldn't recognize or see? Like in the same way animals can't see patterns? And would perhaps that be?

A little bit philosofical isn't it? Big Grin
RE: Animals and patterns. Humans and...?
Interesting question, I guess it would have something to do with our visual resolution. Or perhaps not being able to see something on a different wavelength. Hmmm...
we gain information about the outside world through our senses and they can be tricked
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
(April 8, 2009 at 10:43 am)Giff Wrote: As we all perhaps now do animals, or atleast most animals, not see patterns. Like a footprint or what's potraited on a painting.

So I wonder, what if there was something that humans couldn't recognize or see? Like in the same way animals can't see patterns? And would perhaps that be?

I would say it's to do with our brain software ... as a part of our ability to recognise things our brains must be able to rapidly process complex images and find familiar patterns and match them with known ones. It would seem logical (to me at least) that a side product of that would be to generate mismatches based on chance patterns seen in other scenarios ... it's a kind of computing thing I guess.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
He means how we can see faces very easily because of the way our brains are set up and most animals have their own pattern detection. Perhaps they see things in a completely different light so to speak.

I'd put forward a hypothesis on this one, animals who find berries for example are probably very good at identifying berry bushes or a bad berry with a cursory glance. A preditor that hunts rabbit is likely to be able to see a rabbit trail casually, in addition to his probable sense of smell.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I dont really mean faces. Some animals also can recoginze diffrent faces, like sheeps.

But I mean is patterns like on a painting. We can see that it's a potrait of a tree for an example. But animal can't see that, wer also can also see that clouds sometimes look like diffrent things. We are very good at seeing patterns in general. Animals can't see such things.

There are some things we can't see or sence that some animals can. Birds have "built in compass", eagles can see colours that we can't imagine and can see things way much sharper.

Animals can somehow know that a storm or some other natural disaster is about to happen. So there perhaps something that we can't sence or see, some kind of "pattern" that some animals can detect. Maybe its just not these, it doesnt have to be pattern. It can be something totally diffrent. There are perhaps something that are there but that we can't recognize.
(April 10, 2009 at 7:39 am)Giff Wrote: We can see that it's a potrait of a tree for an example. But animal can't see that,

How do you know this?

(April 10, 2009 at 7:39 am)Giff Wrote: wer also can also see that clouds sometimes look like diffrent things. We are very good at seeing patterns in general. Animals can't see such things.

That is quite a generalization. All animals? Some animals?

We have stickers om our windows with silhouettes of birds of prey so birds do not fly into them. Is that not pattern recognition?

Digger wasps find their nesting place back by recognizing key shapes surrounding it, is that not pattern recognition?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Well speed could be a factor. - If we are shown images and we can see them normally for instance - but if images are flashed very very very quickly (very small fractions of a second) we aren't capable of recognizing them (or not very well) while perhaps there are some other animals that can? With faster reaction?
Perhaps some kind of predator could recognize very quick changes better?

So perhaps the SPEED of the pattern CHANGES could be something that we might have trouble with more than some at least, other animals?

EvF
(April 10, 2009 at 8:25 am)leo-rcc Wrote: How do you know this?

Yes I was going to ask that.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(April 10, 2009 at 8:25 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(April 10, 2009 at 7:39 am)Giff Wrote: We can see that it's a potrait of a tree for an example. But animal can't see that,

How do you know this?

(April 10, 2009 at 7:39 am)Giff Wrote: wer also can also see that clouds sometimes look like diffrent things. We are very good at seeing patterns in general. Animals can't see such things.

That is quite a generalization. All animals? Some animals?

We have stickers om our windows with silhouettes of birds of prey so birds do not fly into them. Is that not pattern recognition?

Digger wasps find their nesting place back by recognizing key shapes surrounding it, is that not pattern recognition?
For the first of all is that what I both have learned in shcool, heared on TV and what scientist have said.

For an instant a dog who don't like cats and can't stand looking at them without barking won't do that if he is seeing a painting of a photo of a cat. Nor if they are on TV, unless they are making some noice.

Some animals, like monkies perhaps can recognize patterns. Perhaps some animals, I don't want to go out on deep water and see which can and who doesn't because I don't know everyhting about that. But I know that most animals can't see patterns.

Tests isn't always needed to prove such things. It's impossible for those with not highly evolved brains to see or recognize patterns.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More domestication of humans. Jehanne 5 907 November 9, 2022 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How humans & cats see things at night. Jehanne 3 651 November 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture? ignoramus 19 1978 July 6, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Humans evolved from monkeys Old Baby 72 7046 March 10, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1023 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What part of the world did the first humans assemble? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! 18 3785 October 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The ethics of cloning extinct animals BrokenQuill92 36 7198 June 20, 2014 at 11:11 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 2956 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Why humans are so distinct from other species? Meylis Delano Lawrence 65 17879 March 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Does the existance of Self Aware animals futher question the whole Creationsim argumet pop_punks_not_dead 10 8256 February 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: pop_punks_not_dead