Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion & The Environment
Religion & The Environment
Today in my Ren. To Modern Day Humanities course my teacher was talking to us about how religions before christianity (pagan) were one with nature and basically much of the religion itself was related to nature. This raised an interesting point in my atheist brain, do you think if it weren't for the abrahamic religions that we'd be better off environmentally? It actually makes sense, that once christianity came around peoplehad this mentality that God was going to save them and the earth could not fail, so why take care of it? Plus, in the abrahamic religions, humans are the center and most important whereas in others they are equal to everything else on earth (and beyond). I still think we would have royally effed up the earth either way with technology and such, but I'm sure this "oh it doesnt matter how much polution we put out into the world, gods going to save us" mentally didnt help much.

thoughts?!
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
RE: Religion & The Environment
Interesting thought. I think the Abrhamic faiths encourage custody of the planet. It's not as direct as the more primitive faiths, and I respect them for that. But it is there.

You could also think of it as a natural progression that people think themselves more important. Atheism is perhaps one step further down that road.. now we're saying we don't need God either.. we're one better than that.
No, that's actually wrong. We aren't saying we don't need a God, we are saying there IS NO god. There's a big difference. Whether we need one or not is irrelevant. If there is a god, he's not doing such a hot job anyway. Atheism is not one step down that 'road' as you call it, we think of it as our responsibility alone to protect the planet. Not some invisible deity in the sky. Most of us think we are just as important as everything else on earth, no better, no worse.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
I think it's saying the same thing. Nowadays people don't have the need to respect nature like they did through religious observation apparent throughout human history. Now we're more independent, or perceive ourselves to be so.

I'm not saying we don't realise our responsibility to the environment now. Modern life is inherently damaging to the planet. Any lip service to green issues is mostly just that. I also think we're not more important than everything else on the planet. I think of us as less important mostly.

God only acts when invited, you're not going to witness much when denying the concept.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10721 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19820 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49316 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Adam and Eve Saved the Environment Michael Schubert 105 33652 August 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused