Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing function.
Editing function.
I wrote a quick reply to a post, went in for a few hours for work then came back and noticed I used a wrong word and some spelling.

I didn't even know we had a 120 minute cap on editing posts. Is this new? What's the reasoning behind not being able to edit posts?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Editing function.
(November 8, 2011 at 2:25 am)tackattack Wrote: What's the reasoning behind not being able to edit posts?

Answer:

(August 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

So, if you want to edit your post but the editing time is over, then let the staff know and they will fix it for you.

I know that some members do not like this, though. Even I tend to edit my posts, but I don't do it to "escape" from a debate. I usually edit them just to change small things such as my grammar, spelling, or re-arrange the paragraphs a little. However, the good thing about this rule is that it will make you think more carefully about what you're going to say, how you type, and it will keep the forum more stable. Also, of course, you can ignore the spelling mistakes every now and then if you think that it's not that important to correct them. Now, if you have any other questions and/or complaints about this change, tacky, then feel free to let us know. Here's the thread which has our discussions on this particular issue: Editing/Deleting Posts

OK seems fair. At work I don't have a browser that supports spell check but there I'm constantly posting as I have time. We'll see how it goes. 2 hours does seem reasonable and I guess it's not too much to ask that we do a preview or 2 for such a great community.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

There are various online spell checkers, or you could always type your post within a word processor that has one installed.
And even then, reading back what You have written before clicking "Post Reply" is always a good idea.

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the way.
My checker told me sew.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Agreed, I just hate copying out to word then back. Man that little word exercise, hurt my brain... far too early for that much brain work for me. Big Grin Glad to see the rumors of your retirement are greatly over exaggerated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alert function brewer 2 1322 June 16, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is the fucking forum quote function in need of some subtle fucking tweekage? Succubus 14 1923 March 18, 2018 at 5:59 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A new alert function Foxaèr 20 4444 December 20, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Report" function brewer 8 1861 July 24, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hide Function Fred Hampton 20 4242 March 27, 2017 at 4:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Tutorial] How to use the quote function pocaracas 1 1146 October 20, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Did the search function change recently? Simon Moon 9 2963 July 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is there any problem with the rate-function? Whateverist 9 3723 July 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Bibliofagus
  Ignore Function naimless 10 4350 February 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Editing our profiles. Whateverist 1 1627 August 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: fr0d0