Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fucking forum quote function in need of some subtle fucking tweekage?
Is the fucking forum quote function in need of some subtle fucking tweekage?
It takes five~ minutes to knock a post together and ten minutes to render the thing readable.

Gone are the days when you could just hit the post reply button and wot you sed will appear as is. No dear readers you must use the preview function in order to reveal all the hidden line breaks and other shit formatting errors that don't show up on the main page. 

Or is it just me?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
RE: Is the fucking forum quote function in need of some subtle fucking tweekage?
(March 16, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Succubus Wrote: It takes five~ minutes to knock a post together and ten minutes to render the thing readable.

Gone are the days when you could just hit the post reply button and wot you sed will appear as is. No dear readers you must use the preview function in order to reveal all the hidden line breaks and other shit formatting errors that don't show up on the main page. 

Or is it just me?

wut ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Is the fucking forum quote function in need of some subtle fucking tweekage?
(March 16, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Succubus Wrote: It takes five~ minutes to knock a post together and ten minutes to render the thing readable.

Or is it just me?

I have a hard time too, Succ.  I just assumed it’s because I’m a flake, and I don’t know how to use computers.  Big Grin
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Bah... Go into your UCP (https://atheistforums.org/usercp.php?action=options) and activate the source mode for your replies. You'll see all the non existing formatting (if any) and when you paste some text into there, it will be plain text.
(March 17, 2018 at 8:01 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Bah... Go into your UCP (https://atheistforums.org/usercp.php?action=options) and activate the source mode for your replies. You'll see all the non existing formatting (if any) and when you paste some text into there, it will be plain text.

Well yyyes but that's akin to using an atom bombs to kill flies, but anyway I'll persivere persavere persziveer

I'll stick with it.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(March 17, 2018 at 10:35 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 8:01 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Bah... Go into your UCP (https://atheistforums.org/usercp.php?action=options) and activate the source mode for your replies. You'll see all the non existing formatting (if any) and when you paste some text into there, it will be plain text.

Well yyyes but that's akin to using an atom bombs to kill flies, but anyway I'll persivere persavere persziveer

I'll stick with it.

I always use source mode... you never know what you're gonna get if you use the other... as you've found out Wink
(March 17, 2018 at 10:35 pm)Succubus Wrote:

I'll stick with it.

Perhaps a button that would insert the following code would help.

Code:
[/quote]

[quote]
This way they could break up a quote where there cursor is at.  And as an option, take any highlighted text, and place it between the above.   This would let someone who is not comfortable with the source mode, they could either create the space to type, or type and take the text out of the original quote.  I don't know how much control you have over buttons and functions of the board.

One other thing that I've noticed is that for me, if I'm not in source mode, and insert a link, that it tends to want to continue the link after for whatever I type.   I normally have to go into source mode, and type a little something after the url to get out of it.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(March 17, 2018 at 10:41 pm)emjay Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 10:35 pm)Succubus Wrote: Well yyyes but that's akin to using an atom bombs to kill flies, but anyway I'll persivere persavere persziveer

I'll stick with it.

I always use source mode... you never know what you're gonna get if you use the other... as you've found out Wink

I use ctrl+shift+s to switch between the two so I can edit and get an approximate preview.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(March 17, 2018 at 11:04 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 10:41 pm)emjay Wrote: I always use source mode... you never know what you're gonna get if you use the other... as you've found out Wink

I use ctrl+shift+s to switch between the two so I can edit and get an approximate preview.

Right... thanks for that... I just tried that out, and apart from it opening the Developer Tools in Firefox when the reply box doesn't have focus, it looks like a cool and quick way of doing it.
(March 17, 2018 at 11:13 pm)emjay Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 11:04 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I use ctrl+shift+s to switch between the two so I can edit and get an approximate preview.

Right... thanks for that... I just tried that out, and apart from it opening the Developer Tools in Firefox when the reply box doesn't have focus, it looks like a cool and quick way of doing it.

Yeah, the developer toolbox is a bit of an irritation.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alert function brewer 2 1306 June 16, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A new alert function Foxaèr 20 4407 December 20, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Report" function brewer 8 1853 July 24, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hide Function Fred Hampton 20 4184 March 27, 2017 at 4:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Tutorial] How to use the quote function pocaracas 1 1143 October 20, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do I quote other posts? Bunburryist 5 1674 August 14, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Quote/Reply not working right in a thread Clueless Morgan 8 1901 August 31, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Did the search function change recently? Simon Moon 9 2923 July 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Notification when someone quote my post Marsellus Wallace 9 2264 March 31, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is there any problem with the rate-function? Whateverist 9 3701 July 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Bibliofagus