Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's own hooligans
God's own hooligans
Piety is not a guarantee for social order and conformity.:

Quote:7 in Renegade Amish Group Charged With Assaults

Federal agents arrested the leader of a renegade Amish group and six others in eastern Ohio on Wednesday and charged them with hate crimes for a series of beard- and hair-cutting assaults against Amish men and women.

In a case that drew wide attention because of the unusual nature of the attacks, five of the men were arrested last month on kidnapping and other state charges, and were out on bail. At the time of those arrests, officials said that the founder of the breakaway group, Sam Mullet, 66, had not taken part directly in the nighttime assaults against his perceived enemies, and he was not initially charged.

But at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, the F.B.I. and local sheriffs raided the splinter settlement near the village of Bergholz, arresting Mr. Mullet, three of his sons and three other followers on federal hate-crime and conspiracy charges.

“We believe these attacks were religiously motivated,” Steven M. Dettelbach, the United States attorney for the northern district of Ohio, said in a telephone interview. “While people are free to disagree about religion in this country, we don’t settle those disagreements with late night visits, dangerous weapons and violent attacks.”

Prosecutors in Holmes County, Ohio, said Wednesday that they would dismiss the state charges to allow the federal prosecution to go forward.

The distinctive beards worn by married Amish men, and the uncut hair that married women keep rolled in a bun, are treasured symbols of religious identity, and the attacks appeared designed to inflict public humiliation, said Donald B. Kraybill, an expert on the Amish at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania.

In at least four violent attacks over the last few months, groups of men from Mr. Mullet’s compound held men down to shear their beards with scissors and battery-operated clippers. In one case several of Mr. Mullet’s nephews also hacked off the hair of their own mother — Mr. Mullet’s sister — who had fled the compound years earlier.

One victim told investigators that “he would prefer to have been beaten black and blue than to suffer the disfigurement and humiliation of having his hair removed,” according to the F.B.I. affidavit supporting the hate-crime charges. The attacks caused fear and bewilderment among the 60,000 Amish of Ohio, who are pacifists and reject the idea of revenge.

Former residents of Mr. Mullet’s compound said he exerted iron control over the settlement of 120, many of them his relatives, sometimes imprisoning men in a chicken coop for days or beating them. Former residents also said that Mr. Mullet had sex with married women in the community “to cleanse them of the devil,” according to the F.B.I. affidavit.

Mr. Mullet moved with some followers to an isolated valley near Bergholz in 1995 after conflicts with Amish leaders in another part of the state. He was ordained as a minister in 1997 and later as a bishop. But he fell out with other Amish bishops in eastern Ohio, who determined that his effort to excommunicate eight families that left his compound in 2005 was not justified.

Mr. Mullet has apparently nursed a grudge ever since, and the recent victims included bishops who opposed his excommunication decrees as well as people who aided those who fled from his community.

The federal affidavit provides details of four beard-cutting attacks and notes that the assailants took photographs of the victims, to keep a record of their humiliation. It describes recorded telephone conversations between Mr. Mullet and some of those jailed in October, in which they discussed possible further beard-cutting reprisals against their Amish enemies.

In justifying the charges against Mr. Mullet, the affidavit also cites his statements to reporters that the dispute was a religious one, that he had been treated unfairly by other Amish and that he should be able to punish people who violate the laws of the church.

The seven men were to be arraigned Wednesday in Youngstown, Ohio.

ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why can't I own Canadians? Dundee 14 1092 March 23, 2020 at 7:57 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3577 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1092 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14036 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16268 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1044 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3820 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4004 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  I am actually going to create my own religion ComradeMeow 21 5251 July 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
Question If you were to create your own religion.. TheMonster 26 8001 July 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Joods