Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New "What Are You Reading" Thread
The New "What Are You Reading" Thread
I've a stack of books taller than me (and I'm 5'3") that I want to read so I thought I'd reincarnate a thread that's sat idle for some months now.

I just finished The Forgotten Garden - something suggested to me by Epi, and liked it very much. There wasn't enough talk about the garden [amused smile] but as far as secret spaces and family mysteries it was very good.

Right now I'm reading an interesting book called Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking, which explores the way we make instinctive judgments and decisions and the positives and negatives of those snap hunches.

I'm also reading The Whiskey Rebellion, something I'd recommend to anyone who's interested in American history.

I'm finally also working through The Vertical Farm. The author seems a bit like an arrogant prick, but I've been marking all over it so I can pester Rhythm with questions later.

And for sillies I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which is being made into a movie for next year. It's by the same guy who did Pride & Prejudice & Zombies so it's hilarious by turns and dark by others. I hope Rob Pattinson is the first 'vampire' to die - a bloody, vicious, painful death that turns out to be real so his soulless eyes never again appear on screen.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: The New "What Are You Reading" Thread
I'm finishing up 1984(Orwell) love it.

Next reads are;

Think - Simon Blackburn (Cambridge university philosophy professor) intro overview to philosophy.
Logic(very short introduction) Graham Priest.
Existentialism and Humanism - Jean Paul Satre.

All in all about 450 pages so shouldn't take long.
Currently reading Into the Wild (Jon Krakauer)

Next Reads:
Tom Jones (Henry Fielding)
Look me in the Eye (John Elder Robison)
Don Quixote (Lathrop translation)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Ah! Tom Jones has been on my list forever! Let me know what you think!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
"The Little Red Hen", about 30 times a day.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote: "The Little Red Hen", about 30 times a day.

I've been considering wriiting a variation on that story, except that the animals all help, although the hen only allowed it begrudgingly, and when the time comes to eat the bread, she refuses to give it to any of them. This angers them enough that they all have a big chicken dinner that couldn't be beat and don't get up till the next morning when the farmer learns what they've done and do the same to them. And the farmer lives happily ever after.

If Ronald Reagan can twist it to his own ends, why can't I?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
"Atonement" by Ian McEwan
Currently reading Jesus Neither Man or God - The Case for a Mythical Jesus by Earl Doherty and Quantum Gods: Creation, Chaos, and the Search for Cosmic Consciousness by Victor Stenger.

The former book is very big and dense, so I am only reading a chapter a day.
undefined
reading David Aaronovitch's "Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History"
Not only you have to hold your breath to be able to say the title out loud but it's an amazing work of investigation behind some of history's biggest forgeries like Protocols of the Elders of Zion and a lot of modern conspiracy theories. Those that were so important before they got debunked that some people actually cited them as reasons to justify acts. This is like 20 episodes of Skeptoid welded into one. I love the amazon reviews, he gets praised by the majority and then completely lambasted by the conspiracy nuters. it's either a 5/5 or 4/5 or a 1/5 with insults and accusation of being part of the conspiracy.

Next book is The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by the pork eating infidel Richard Dawkins.
"The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.

Next read will probably be "Snuff"...
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you reading? arewethereyet 148 8638 April 27, 2024 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you were reading...... Foxaèr 4 466 January 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Reading order for the Duneverse? Gawdzilla Sama 6 664 June 20, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2194 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I tried watching and reading Peanuts Der/die AtheistIn 5 452 April 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Anyone else reading the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante? Whateverist 0 325 September 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Hey, what are you reading there? Mr.Obvious 6 2057 May 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: c172
  What are you reading? BrokenQuill92 12 1668 August 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What book(s) are you reading right now? Handprint 22 3819 September 4, 2015 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheist Reading Material lezbehonest 30 5194 August 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam