Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama criticized for not mentioning God in Thanksgiving address
Obama criticized for not mentioning God in Thanksgiving address
It wasn't until I read this post: http://atheistforums.org/thread-9680.html that I ever heard of Thanksgiving being a religious holiday by any means, but I was watching the Daily Show the other day, and I found out that Fox News was criticizing Obama for not mentioning God in his Thanksgiving address. I... don't even know what to say about it. I'm speechless. Here's the clip from the episode: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-no...t-stuffing
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
RE: Obama criticized for not mentioning God in Thanksgiving address
(November 30, 2011 at 11:18 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote: I found out that Fox News was criticizing Obama for not mentioning God in his Thanksgiving address. I... don't even know what to say about it. I'm speechless.

Um...it's Fox News.

Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
What the fuck would one expect from the FOX douchebags?

[Image: fox_jesus_ad-769x1024.jpg]

I always appreciate what Lincoln said about his Thanksgiving proclamation:

Quote:Oh, that [his Thanksgiving Message] is some of Seward's nonsense, and it pleases the fools.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge James M Nelson, in response to a question from Nelson: "I once asked him about his fervent Thanksgiving Message and twitted him with being an unbeliever in what was published."
I don't think thanksgiving is actually religious, it's just that too many bible thumping Ameritards can't understand how you can be thankful to anyone but god.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I briefly heard something about this. I just figure that Fox News is trying to get Republicans riled up so they can vote that damn darkie mooslim out of office. Next Thanksgiving will be too late.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:I ever heard of Thanksgiving being a religious holiday by any means,

Umm,perhaps now,but------

Wasn't Thanksgiving invented by the pilgrims,who were puritans? My understanding is that Thanksgiving was LITERALLY TO GIVE THANKS TO GOD for having survived. I think that qualifies as a religious holiday.

I think Thanksgiving is still a religious holiday for a some people. However,for most,it seems to me to be a secular holiday. A day when people see their family,eat absurd amounts of food,get shit faced and fight. Thanksgiving is to get you in the right mindset for Xmas day. Cool Shades
Quote:My understanding is that Thanksgiving was LITERALLY TO GIVE THANKS TO GOD

They should have thanked the Indians...instead they killed them.

i remeber reading somewhere this week that it was a puritan god lovefest. but who fucking cares.
(December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They should have thanked the Indians...instead they killed them.
It was the Christian thing to do. Wink
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-no...t-stuffing

John Stewart actually does his own face palm at 2:32. lol

[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1322 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1553 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michelle Obama Crushes It BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1569 August 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Obama Eulogizes Elijah Cummings AFTT47 2 565 October 26, 2019 at 3:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP: Obama's nose is growing John V 113 9413 September 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This Is Why We Can't Address Immigration Minimalist 0 306 August 23, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The WLB Criticized By A Republicunt Who Is Not Retiring? Minimalist 2 708 July 22, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 2013 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  One Reason Trump is Intent on Reversing Everything Obama Did Rhondazvous 9 1308 November 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 15005 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne