Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Letter to Gingrich
Open Letter to Gingrich
Dear Mr. Gingrich,

This letter is a response to:

I take showers every morning and have a job, thank you for your "advice" anyway. In fact, I'm one of those "job creators" you Republicans pretend to value so much, as I run a small business.

Unfortunately, I have not been much of a job creator lately. I've been forced to lay off much of my work force as my business is roughly half the size that it was at its peak in 2001. It isn't "high taxes" or "excessive regulation" that's killing me. It's the fact that market demand has shriveled up with the death throes of the middle class. What demand remains I must compete with cheap Chinese outsourcing for. Routing my deliveries has been complicated by the fact that one of our city's bridges has been closed as it is now too dangerous to drive over. Skyrocketing health insurance costs, the inevitable result of our asinine for-profit privatized health care system, is sucking up what profits I could eek out of the current market.

My wife needed life saving surgery in recent years. We're lucky enough to have health insurance so her care was only ruinously expensive, consuming both our retirement savings and throwing us into debt. One of my investments is my home which I bought for 277K. After putting roughly 30K into it, I'm currently selling it for 169K.

Despite the financial setbacks in recent years, I consider myself very lucky. I have a job. I have a roof over my head. I do not have any relatives who died in the recent Republican war of aggression in Iraq. There are many who are worse off than me.

We do NOT need more tax cuts. We do NOT need more deregulation. We need a jobs program, a more progressive middle-class friendly tax code and infrastructure repair. We could also use medicare for all.

I am the 99%.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Open Letter to Gingrich
Newt isn't talking to you.

He's firmly with the republicolibertarianeo-conazis.
Great letter DP.
Good letter DP, but he doesnt give a shit about you.

A politician that would stand in front of live television and say the horrible and flat out lies like he did doesnt give a shit about anyone but himself.

The applaud after he spoke makes my skin crawl.
Sadly my mother tried to inform me that most of those people "were bums" while I was there for Thanksgiving. "They should be out looking for work!" she said.

I think it was eye opening to her when I began to list off what the girl who just started in our company had to go through to finally find a job - then all the things I put my resume out to trying to find another.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Open Discussion on Russian Identity Leonardo17 10 1025 December 4, 2023 at 11:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 970 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Open borders onlinebiker 263 15482 August 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Open Letter to Speaker Paul Ryan....... Brian37 8 2345 October 20, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Republicunt Bullshit Artists Come Out In The Open Minimalist 16 2576 August 25, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Open Letter to Sean Spicer/political demagoguery. Brian37 0 1062 April 12, 2017 at 8:35 am
  Open letter to Bibi/Isreal/Palestine OP/ED Brian37 0 534 December 28, 2016 at 2:05 pm
  Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 100 11071 November 30, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Open Carry Laws Heywood 6 2160 May 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Open Letter to My Senator DeistPaladin 17 3606 October 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas