Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Allen gets into the space launch business
Paul Allen gets into the space launch business

Seems like a risky venture, but could be revolutionary if it works, and they address all the safety and technical issues.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Paul Allen gets into the space launch business
I heard this idea many years ago, even back when the Shuttle missions were booming.

Which I guess leads me to one conclusion: There's something inherently difficult and/or dangerous about this concept for them to not have tried it by now. "Them" of course being Nasa or some other private corporation bucking for a shot at the title.

Thoughts?
[Image: Evolution.png]

Our B-52s have been used as platforms for launching everything from cruise missiles to small research satellites for decades. The difference here is one of scale. Probably the cost of building and maintaining such a large vehicle is high, but compared to the cost of a ground launch, probably not so much. Launching from high altitude can save on expensive rocket fuel and reduce the launch weight, which can allow for heavier payloads, or higher Earth orbit at a significant savings.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Small rockets spend a larger proportion of their fuel to overcome air resistance in low altitude, due to the fact that drag scales with square of dimension while fuel and mass scale with cube of dimension. So it is more advantageous to use an airplane to help a small rocket, like pegasas launched from b-52 mentioned above, to overcome parts of lower atmosphere resistance that to help a larger one. Any rocket that can puta six men capsule into orbit is very large indeed, on the scale of a delta or atlas rocket at very least. These don't burn much of their fuel overcoming lower atmosphere resistance, so is not helped per se tremendously by being launched from air.

Then the air launcher turns into simply a reusable first stage. But a subsonic air breathing launcher is a very weak first stage, giving a very modest amount of energy to the rocket compare to a proper rocket first stage. So it doesn't save the rocket a great deal to be launched from 50,000 feet but Mach 0.7, then ground level standing still. Your typical first stage ground launched rocket would have be traveling at Mach 3 and have gained maybe 5-6 times more energy by this altitude, and would have expended only something like 1/2 of its fuel. So this air launcher would save the first stage maybe 10 percent.

The economics of air subsonic launch of large rocket is thus it doesn't save a great deal of fuel weight for the rocket, but does add the cost of large, unique, possibly one off airplane, in addition to adding cost and weight by requiring the fully laden rocket to withstand unusual ( for a lunch rocket) stress of bing slung horizontally while fully fueled.

Ever see Wile E Coyote? Yes, there is something inherently dangerous about strapping a bomb to your ass and lighting the fuse; unfortunately most propulsion systems use these types of opposing vectors. When it comes to space, I am in the "let's do it" camp - as soon as someone brings up "safety" my programming goes - it is not safe to keep humanity on one blue marble.

I'm not up for recklessness, I'm up for shit moving forward. Wink
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
This was pretty big news around here. Both Stratolaunch Systems and their systems integrator Dynetics are local companies. It didn’t come as big surprise though. Stratolaunch signed a 20 year lease for their headquarters at Cummings Research Park earlier this spring and there were rumors then.

One of the advantages that a liquid fueled ground launched system has over this plan is that it can be shut down if there are problems before the vehicle leaves the ground. I watched that happen a couple of times with the shuttle from a console at the HOSC back in the 90’s. With an air launch system like this one you let it go then hope it fires and everything works right. If not you better be somewhere over the ocean.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2240 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? GrandizerII 39 4043 June 13, 2020 at 5:52 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2577 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2373 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 509 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7212 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6958 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Succesful launch of Falcon Heavy zebo-the-fat 29 2890 February 9, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9911 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1733 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous