Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 3:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence: The Gathering
RE: Evidence: The Gathering
(July 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Have you ever read a book on the Shroud of Turin?

If so, what was the title?

Youe mean "The Truth About the Shroud of Turin"? No, I haven't, since anything saying "the truth" about an as of yet scientifically disputed item, desn't warrant too much attention. I guess, you don't give all the "truth about Jack the Ripper" books the same kind of credit. Apart from the fact that Wilcox is a journalist and not a scientist.

I go with real findings and the jury is still very much out on that, not with sensationalism created by some hack.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 22, 2015 at 6:44 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: That was a lot of typing in order to say nothing.

That's a consequence of what I was replying to, Randy. An argument from ignorance isn't exactly effusive with talking points to address.

Quote:Objectively speaking, the Shroud of Turin cannot be proved to be the burial cloth of Jesus, can it? [Image: no.gif]

We both know and agree on this. Where we differ is in our views of what we can BELIEVE about the shroud based upon all the information we know about it. MOST crucified people were not scourged first. MOST crucified people did not have a lance wound in their side. AND to hear you boys tell the tale, MOST crucified people weren't even buried at all...they were left to rot on the cross or thrown into a shallow grave.

So, that makes this shroud kinda unique, doesn't it?

Are you asserting that the only possible origin for the shroud is that a person literally died in the exact way that you happen to interpret the markings on it? No other possible ways it could be made, other than that the figure on the cloth was a real person, who died in the exact way the bible describes the crucifixion?

Quote:Oh, and all that pollen and stuff that has been documented from the shroud...you know the stuff that only grows in a tiny region of ISRAEL...wow, what a coincidence that the forger was smart enough to TAKE his canvas to Palestine first...just so he could contaminate it with pollen spores native to NOT EUROPE.

So the only forgers in existence come from Europe?

Quote:But hey, I say it's probable; you say it's not. I say it's another clue that leads some to faith; you say no way.

Whatever.

Man, if your only response is to propose an unreasonably strict set of criteria regarding the provenance of the shroud and then insist that they are the only possible ways the shroud could have come into existence, then of course you're gonna be this blase over it; the alternative is recognizing that the possibility space is wider than the self-serving assumptions you're making here. If we've got little information, which is about the best you could say regarding what you're presented, then there's no reason to make any of the leaps you're making, and every reason to discard the shroud as denoting anything at all until its origins can be made clear.

Quote:Meanwhile, the boys in the lab are coming to the conclusion that there is nothing else like this piece of cloth known to man.

According to you the boys in the lab are only able to get inconclusive results, that you then spin into confirmation of your own beliefs somehow. Gonna need a citation for your claim here; doesn't sound like any scientist I've ever read about.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
The shroud of Turin is not a burial shroud for anybody. You do not need carbon dating, or chemical analysis or anything else to see that the dimensions are absolutely incompatible with any known human body. Take any person, mannequin or whatever and wrap it with the shroud and the eyes will not line up, the front and back of the head will not line up. Not even close. (unless the head is flat.) It is a painting by some clever artist.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Is not.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Leonardo da Vinci would have done a much better job... is all.
Shroud of Turin - because if you're a Catholic, it's not enough to worship god, his offspring, his baby-mama, his holy spirit, angels, 1000s of saints and martyrs and the f-ing pope.
You also need to pray to a rag...

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/06/21...-of-turin/
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Why not? They already worship a book.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't like getting involved in Randy's threads but I started reading the posts back to front. Haven't had that good of a laugh in quite awhile. Thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2015 at 12:26 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't like getting involved in Randy's threads but I started reading the posts back to front. Haven't had that good of a laugh in quite awhile. Thanks.

The sad thing is it doesn't matter what order you read them.  Page 1 and page 100 are virtually identical.  The argument never moves anywhere.  It's just one long chain of assertions that no one buys, followed by precisely the same assertions as though doubling down on stupid will convince anyone.
You've put together an impressive list of arguments. The problem is arguments can not prove the existence of god. If god existed, you wouldn't even have to prove his existence. His empirical, in-your-face, up close and personal presence would be its own proof.

If I were all powerful and wanted my existence known, you would know it because I would be there, and not just in some people's hearts. I would BE there.

It's because your god is not here that you have to come up with all these arguments.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4990 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39250 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29316 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21222 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6166 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 248349 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 139284 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11445 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2947 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Magic: The Gathering KevinM1 12 4422 July 21, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: abaris