Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christianity?
RE: Why Christianity?
(August 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm)abaris Wrote: Sometimes I really think, Randy is a Poe on a mission to make christianity and christians look as bad as possible.

(August 20, 2015 at 7:52 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Whatever his aims, he is one determined motherfucker. The wasp avatar suits him.

Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

So, maybe I'm not as stupid as you think.

[Image: ani_yup.gif]
(August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm)abaris Wrote: Sometimes I really think, Randy is a Poe on a mission to make christianity and christians look as bad as possible.

(August 20, 2015 at 7:52 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Whatever his aims, he is one determined motherfucker. The wasp avatar suits him.

Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler (don't worry his wife and Jesus forgave him), and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Yeah, I don't like him much though I love my husband's sister. But getting back to my story his bee caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol that I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech, his alma mater.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence. And it didn't teach him ethics or even how to go about embezzling very well.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler, and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence.

Some people are more into their toys than others.

But how do you weigh this evidence: does it follow from your anecdote that ALL Georgia Tech graduates are money-oriented, Evangelical embezzlers?

If not, what is your point?

[Image: wink.gif]
(August 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Some people are more into their toys than others.

But how do you weigh this evidence: does it follow from your anecdote that ALL Georgia Tech graduates are money-oriented, Evangelical embezzlers?

http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hardly.  Only that the school you went to, doesn't necessarily say all that much about you.  I doubt GT grads are more likely to be embezzlers, or that evangelicals are for that matter.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler, and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence.

Some people are more into their toys than others.

The point is that one can go to that school without being very intelligent or very moral.  She did not say anything that applies to everyone who went there.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:48 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Some people are more into their toys than others.

Hardly.  Only that the school you went to, doesn't necessarily say all that much about you.  I doubt GT grads are more likely to be embezzlers, or that evangelicals are for that matter.

The alma mater does say one thing: some college grads ARE smarter than others. And the fact that some Christians went to really good schools suggests that not all Christians are stupid...a fact that is lost on the crowd here who didn't go to those same schools.

Just sayin'.
Why Christianity?
(August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler (don't worry his wife and Jesus forgave him), and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Yeah, I don't like him much though I love my husband's sister. But getting back to my story his bee caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol that I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech, his alma mater.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence. And it didn't teach him ethics or even how to go about embezzling very well.

I went to Michigan. What does that say about me? J/K. Wink
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler (don't worry his wife and Jesus forgave him), and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Yeah, I don't like him much though I love my husband's sister.  But getting back to my story his bee caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol that I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech, his alma mater.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence.  And it didn't teach him ethics or even how to go about embezzling very well.

I went to Michigan. What does that say about me?  J/K. Wink

It means you're going to have your hands full with Ohio State in the fall and Maryland this winter. Tongue
Why Christianity?
(August 20, 2015 at 9:56 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I went to Michigan. What does that say about me?  J/K. Wink

It means you're going to have your hands full with Ohio State in the fall and Maryland this winter. Tongue

Sad but true.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:48 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Hardly.  Only that the school you went to, doesn't necessarily say all that much about you.  I doubt GT grads are more likely to be embezzlers, or that evangelicals are for that matter.

The alma mater does say one thing: some college grads ARE smarter than others. And the fact that some Christians went to really good schools suggests that not all Christians are stupid...a fact that is lost on the crowd here who didn't go to those same schools.

Just sayin'.

I've never said you were stupid, just deluded in a particular area where you use your intelligence to avoid rather than to confront facts.  My brother in law is a bright cookie.  But he condemns the morals of others all the time despite an avarice of his own so large it lead to embellishment.  He jokes about killing people too, but what's a little murder among family?  You shrug off plagiarism.  "Big whoop." 

Skepticism and intelligence are not synonymous and many very intelligent people have blind spots. Newton wasted much time on alchemy and trying to figure out how many angels could sit on the head of a pin.  But he was brilliant.

I'm a bright cookie too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 27598 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Christianity violates the unity of God. Mystic 18 2808 September 11, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is christianity a "Blood Cult" Brakeman 26 9176 April 10, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Vox Populi
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7363 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4923 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8579 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 99632 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christianity Harms Society. Why I Mock Christians Yahweh 46 11277 December 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18524 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)